2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
That article is free and has Aiken going 1 and Kolek to us.

It would have Sox choosing among both Rodon and Kolek and selecting Kolek.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
That article is free and has Aiken going 1 and Kolek to us.

Pretty sure this is just the mock they put up on Friday. Not sure why it has today's date on it. It reads identical as far as I can tell.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)
i dont believe at all that rodon gets past the top 3, still think he goes #1(listening to the score about him going to the cubs)

I think writers are tired of writing same mock and are getting more creative.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-...t-from-fiction/

Don't know what this means since I'm not an insider....shake up at the top supposedly? Gordon?

3. WHITE SOX: The talk to this point has been that the White Sox would not pass on Rodon if he were available here. That talk persists, but so do the rumors linking Chicago to outsized Texas high school flamethrower Tyler Kolek. The Cubs are watching closely because while Kolek is not a Cubs target, Rodon is. The White Sox have a bigger bonus pool than the Cubs, but Rodon likely would eat up more of it.

Projected Pick: RHP Tyler Kolek

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
I think writers are tired of writing same mock and are getting more creative.

yup me too. well the astros better get this one right because although early, taking appel over bryant isnt looking too good lol

I have a tough time seeing us pass on Rodon unless his demands are ridiculous. I think our timetable to compete has been moved up to next year, and by having a guy like Rodon in the fold (who could possibly be in the majors late this year depending on what sort of deal is made or next year) we could have another high level arm.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
In the last CBA they negotiated that these Competitive Balance Picks are eligible to be traded. I think there were a couple trades like this last year.

Ok thanks

That first selection almost certainly will be a pitcher from the group of Brady Aiken, Tyler Kolek, Carlos Rodon and Aaron Nola. Any one of those players is a high-quality talent, meaning signability could become a small but still considered factor. The White Sox have a total pool of $9,509,700, with that No. 3 pick slotted at $5,721,500. The goal for the White Sox in this Draft is to reinforce the Minor League system, not just get one top-notch player. So selecting a player who could sign over slot with that first pick could affect other selections.

"Is it a consideration? Sure. We wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't explore signability both above our number as well as below our number," White Sox general manager Rick Hahn explained. "You've seen clubs go that opposite direction where perhaps they take a guy a little higher than expected and save a little on the bonus for that specific slot and reallocate it throughout the rest of the draft.

"It's certainly an interesting and sound strategy and one we need to discuss. But ultimately, I think it will come down to taking the player that we feel fits the best. We want to get the best guy available at No. 3, but we also want to have the healthiest draft through the entire bonus pool."

"We're very confident that we're going to take whoever we feel like has the highest ceiling," said Laumann on Sunday at U.S. Cellular Field. "Now, all things being equal if two guys are really, really close and one guy might afford you the ability to save a million, million and a half that you can spread later in the draft, you might. But initially we're just looking at the best guy out there."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
1. Aiken

2. Rodon

Everybody else.

That -- or the reverse -- is the way it should shake out. Which, makes it interesting for us at 3.

As the draft draws closer, it would seem that no one has any idea what to expect come Thursday.

I guess I could see things shaking out a handful of ways on Thursday.

1) Aiken, Rodon, Kolek

2) Aiken, Jackson, Rodon

3) Rodon, Aiken, Kolek

4) Rodon, Jackson, Aiken

But there have been rumblings of the Astros going underslot like they did with Correa a couple years back and picking Nick Gordon. If that happens, I have no idea what to expect from any of this.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
I'd much rather have the 39th pick than Bryan Morris. Dude has been worth -1.8 WAR for his career. That might be a bit harsh on him as a groundballer, but he's at the very best an average reliever.

I wish Hahn would have made that deal with Putnam. 1st round picks are worth much more than middle relievers, especially when they add another ~$1.5M to your draft pool.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 06:46 AM)
As the draft draws closer, it would seem that no one has any idea what to expect come Thursday.

I guess I could see things shaking out a handful of ways on Thursday.

1) Aiken, Rodon, Kolek

2) Aiken, Jackson, Rodon

3) Rodon, Aiken, Kolek

4) Rodon, Jackson, Aiken

But there have been rumblings of the Astros going underslot like they did with Correa a couple years back and picking Nick Gordon. If that happens, I have no idea what to expect from any of this.

If the Astros pick Gordon, I'd guess Miami sticks with Jackson and the Sox take Aiken #3. At least that's what I would hope for.

My hope for the Sox draft:

1.3 Aiken - Hopefully the Astros find an underslot deal that they like better than Aiken and the Marlins grab the Miami native Rodon

2.44 Luke Weaver - Was once projected as a top 15 guy, his stock is down as he has been inconsistent over the last month, but would give the Sox a higher floor guy that could move quickly to compensate for developing the HS pitcher taken first

3.77 Jeren Kendall - Contact hitter, plus plus speed, great range in CF - Lance Johnson type table setter

At this point, I am expecting Kolek and would be very surprised if we have the opportunity to take Aiken or Rodon. But then again Houston and Miami have been so secretive it's really up in the air. Can't wait for Thursday

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
At this point, I am expecting Kolek and would be very surprised if we have the opportunity to take Aiken or Rodon. But then again Houston and Miami have been so secretive it's really up in the air. Can't wait for Thursday

Obviously they could take a hitter in round 2 but I love the idea of drafting a fast moving college RHP in round 2. Especially if they go with a HS arm in the first. There are some position players that I wouldn't pass on though.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
My hope for the Sox draft:

1.3 Aiken - Hopefully the Astros find an underslot deal that they like better than Aiken and the Marlins grab the Miami native Rodon

2.44 Luke Weaver - Was once projected as a top 15 guy, his stock is down as he has been inconsistent over the last month, but would give the Sox a higher floor guy that could move quickly to compensate for developing the HS pitcher taken first

3.77 Jeren Kendall - Contact hitter, plus plus speed, great range in CF - Lance Johnson type table setter

They did a draft prospect special last night on MLB, and Weaver seems to be quite the character. Funny dude.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Trea Turner being on the top 50 list. Anyone know if his stock has fallen that much?