2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Still resigned to Aiken-Rodon going 1-2. Anything else would be a nice surprise.

I'm with you.

Lots of mis and disinformation this time of year. Smokescreens. Perhaps less important in baseball than in sports where trading of draft picks is possible, but as a GM, you're arguably not doing your job unless you play the smokescreen game. You're certainly not having as much fun with it as you could.

I suspect strongly that pitchers go 1 and 2. It wouldn't shock me if Kolek was the Astros pick.

It would be such a win if position players go 1 and 2. The team that's horrendous with position players, but damned good with pitchers, getting the chance to take their preferred guy -- THE GUY -- at 1-3! It's also the only REAL way we'd ever know who the chosen one REALLY is. If one or more pitchers go BEFORE 1-3, then the post-draft statements from the Sox tell us exactly nothing. If they're taking the first pitcher, their actions will say everything!

I can't wait!

PS ... Unlike some, I won't freak if we take Nola ... no matter what the circumstances. Dude is SERIOUSLY underrated. He may not have #1 ceiling, but he certainly has #2 ceiling (which is VERY valuable). And he's arguably a lot likelier to actually reach that ceiling -- and quicker -- than any of the Big Three is likely to reach theirs. Arguably. Everything about the baseball draft is "arguably."

Maybe I'm just being a non sequitur, but I just can't get myself excited about Aiken the way I can for Rodon and Kolek. Must be a preference for upside - not to say Aiken has low upside, but he doesn't have the wow physical traits nor the MLB ready repertoire. You see Rodon's talent and success and you know you not only have a guy with a pretty high floor, you also have Chris Sale upside. Kolek has a lower floor, but has arm talent velocity-wise to go with a big body like we haven't really seen, especially for someone his age. Aiken is more of a classic "really talented, pretty refined, could be an ace but more of a sure thing for mid-rotation" guy.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm with you.

Lots of mis and disinformation this time of year. Smokescreens. Perhaps less important in baseball than in sports where trading of draft picks is possible, but as a GM, you're arguably not doing your job unless you play the smokescreen game. You're certainly not having as much fun with it as you could.

I suspect strongly that pitchers go 1 and 2. It wouldn't shock me if Kolek was the Astros pick.

It would be such a win if position players go 1 and 2. The team that's horrendous with position players, but damned good with pitchers, getting the chance to take their preferred guy -- THE GUY -- at 1-3! It's also the only REAL way we'd ever know who the chosen one REALLY is. If one or more pitchers go BEFORE 1-3, then the post-draft statements from the Sox tell us exactly nothing. If they're taking the first pitcher, their actions will say everything!

I can't wait!

PS ... Unlike some, I won't freak if we take Nola ... no matter what the circumstances. Dude is SERIOUSLY underrated. He may not have #1 ceiling, but he certainly has #2 ceiling (which is VERY valuable). And he's arguably a lot likelier to actually reach that ceiling -- and quicker -- than any of the Big Three is likely to reach theirs. Arguably. Everything about the baseball draft is "arguably."

Agreed on Nola. It's not like he doesn't have the stuff.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
That's actually exactly who I was going to bring up, but we haven't heard Kolek having the kind of secondary stuff that Verlander has. That's why Jonathan Broxton was kind of the comp I've always had in mind for Kolek.

Rodon comes with possible elbow concerns from over using his slider ( depending on the scout/writer). Aiken throwing such a good CB at 18 could also raise an eyebrow , though I take him in a heartbeat anyway. Kolek relying on his fastball and not breaking pitches is a very good thing for a young 18 YO pitcher. Depending on the source, some say when Kolek does throw a slider and CB , one or both flash plus potential.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/minor-develop...-152256212.html

Yahoo on pitchers

Unrelated to article

I said 2 weeks ago Marlins like Jackson............7 of top 10 prospects of the Marlins system are pitchers. Marlins want a position player this year IMO. If Miami takes a pitcher, I would be shocked.

Edited by Soxfest

Right now I'm predicting:

1) Aiken

2) Jackson

3) Rodon

Jackson going to the Marlins is our best case scenario. Ultimately I think Aiken takes below slot money and goes 1-1. That allows Rodon to fall to us at 1-3. Honestly, I'd be shocked if we passed on Rodon for Kolek. Hahn has already called him the best college arm in the draft and he'd fit much better in our timeline to compete than a high school arm. I'm slightly worried that the Sox could pass on Rodon in favor of Nola to avoid the Boras headache. IMO, that would be a huge mistake.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Am I the only one that doesn't like Rodon's delivery?

No, it looks like the delivery of a lefty brought in to face a lefty and then go to showers.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 12:15 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/minor-develop...-152256212.html

Yahoo on pitchers

Unrelated to article

I said 2 weeks ago Marlins like Jackson............7 of top 10 prospects of the Marlins system are pitchers. Marlins want a position player this year IMO. If Miami takes a pitcher, I would be shocked.

They could always trade pitchers for hitting prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
Right now I'm predicting:

1) Aiken

2) Jackson

3) Rodon

Jackson going to the Marlins is our best case scenario. Ultimately I think Aiken takes below slot money and goes 1-1. That allows Rodon to fall to us at 1-3. Honestly, I'd be shocked if we passed on Rodon for Kolek. Hahn has already called him the best college arm in the draft and he'd fit much better in our timeline to compete than a high school arm. I'm slightly worried that the Sox could pass on Rodon in favor of Nola to avoid the Boras headache. IMO, that would be a huge mistake.

me too lol as someone previously said a page back or two,im going to be so nervous if rodon and kolek (and nola i guess) are available when its our turn

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
I really don't think the Sox pass on Rodon if he's there. Hahn was gushing about him in the booth during a spring training game.

i hope thats how it works out, 1.aiken 2.jackson 3. rodon . i like aiken too, but hes only 17 and rodon can help maybe even this year

It will also be fascinating to watch the Cubs and Twins at 4 and 5. Because of the city and our division, we will get to see their picks a lot but let's hope we leave them in the dust. Remember the Cubs drafting Ty Griffin and Mike Harkey (I think) right ahead of the Sox. Can't wait for Thursday, great conversation everyone. Takes the mind off of the Blackhawks as well.