Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Jake Peavy is close to eating lunch at Applebees, but Fridays and Chilis are still in the mix.

Applebees is disgusting....rather go to a Mexican restaurant running out of a mobile home then that place.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
IIRC, Kap was pretty much spot on when it came to the Garza deal when it broke. He's usually not a source of rumors, though

He has much better Cubs sources. I wonder if this might be coming from Rios' agent?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
IIRC, Kap was pretty much spot on when it came to the Garza deal when it broke. He's usually not a source of rumors, though

But that was a little more specific. If money were no object, the Sox could trade Rios to just about any team. But apparently it is a huge object, and he really doesn't define close. He throws out it may not happen which indicates to me there is a pretty big divide as far as the money is concerned.

I do know Rios has been far from JR's favorite, so he may be willing to eat a lot of cash to see him somewhere else. I don't think he endeared himself to the organzation with his take on his benching.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Yes interesting.

I think the opposite. If the Sox move Peavy, it gives them more flexibility to send additional cash to move Rios (IMO) and potentially the same to move Dunn for a potentially attractive piece. I think if Peavy and Rios go today, we are in a good position to potentially move Alexei, Dunn, and obviously Lindstrom tomorrow! IF we hit on the Peavy and Rios trades, I'll be a happy camper.

It's Pittsburgh.

Pirates not a team eager to take on future salary obligations.

Hahn knows he has to bring some fresh blood into this mix and change the vibe of the team.

He's going to get crushed if he does nothing.

Also knows this is his first big at-bat. He wants to be perceived as "winning" some of these deals.

Bottom Line: He knows Sox fans want Rios out. He also knows he has to get a prospect people can get at least somewhat excited about. To do that, he's going to have to help Pittsburgh cover a chunk of that 2014 salary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
But that was a little more specific. If money were no object, the Sox could trade Rios to just about any team. But apparently it is a huge object, and he really doesn't define close. He throws out it may not happen which indicates to me there is a pretty big divide as far as the money is concerned.

I do know Rios has been far from JR's favorite, so he may be willing to eat a lot of cash to see him somewhere else. I don't think he endeared himself to the organzation with his take on his benching.

I think its a matter of how much cash for the right prospect(s). You move Peavy and I think JR has an easier time sending some additional cash and the Pirates probably give us a decent return if we send over some cash (a few mill).

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Bottom Line: He knows Sox fans want Rios out. He also knows he has to get a prospect people can get at least somewhat excited about. To do that, he's going to have to help Pittsburgh cover a chunk of that 2014 salary.

Sounds good to me, I don't see that money going to good use here anyway with the crap that is about to hit free agency. Send money, and pocket any amount you dont send and consider that money ahead of where you would be if you kept him. The potential return is the most important aspect, not salary, with what is coming off the books and the additional revenue coming in.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
It's Pittsburgh.

Pirates not a team eager to take on future salary obligations.

Hahn knows he has to bring some fresh blood into this mix and change the vibe of the team.

He's going to get crushed if he does nothing.

Also knows this is his first big at-bat. He wants to be perceived as "winning" some of these deals.

Agreed it isn't my money but if eating some cash gets you a B+ instead of a c+/B- in a package I'd do it, for the reasons you said these trades have to generate excitement among the fans. The Sox can't afford to lose the fan base anymore than they have this year. We can't afford a long rebuild like the cubs, nor will we with the pitching we have. We need to generate some young high profile position players from these trades that gives us something to look forward to.

The good news with a possible Rios trade is we should be able to sign a free agent outfielder to replace him.

I think Choo would fill a ton of needs for us and would be a huge upgrade over Rios. We should have the money, I'm just not sure if Hahn would want to commit a long-term contract to him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
The good news with a possible Rios trade is we should be able to sign a free agent outfielder to replace him.

I think Choo would fill a ton of needs for us and would be a huge upgrade over Rios. We should have the money, I'm just not sure if Hahn would want to commit a long-term contract to him.

Choo is a Boras client.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)

Why would we sign Choo when Grady Sizemore is available?