Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting information regarding Owings.

http://www.faketeams.com/2013/7/8/4499500/...na-diamondbacks

What's Keeping Him From Contributing Now?

He's pretty well blocked at shortstop as the team acquired DiDi Gregorius this past offseason as a part of the trade that sent Trevor Bauer out of town, and the team signed Aaron Hill to a three year extension back in February. He could see time potentially as a showcase for a trade, and it seems like other than the concerns about walks, there isn't a lot left for him to prove at AAA. He isn't on the 40-man roster yet, although he will need to be protected this coming offseason.

When Could He Arrive?

While he may be close to Major League ready, it's a bit harder to see a path that moves him into a starting role with the Diamondbacks as of now. I can see a call up this season, especially if an injury occurs again to either Hill or Gregorius. That said, he could end up in a utility role, as all of the starting infielders are locked up through at least 2016.

Apparently, there is no room for Owings on the DBack MLB roster. I can definitely see AZ using him in a major trade. I think a trade of Peavy for Owings is very possible. Even more possible than the projected Rios for Polanco rumored deal.... Stay tuned, Saturday's game will be a huge indication if Peavy is healthy or not.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)

If the Red Sox are looking at both Peavy and Rios, if they want both, we are guaranteed 1 or 2 of Bogarts, Bradley Jr and Webster without a doubt.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
If the Red Sox are looking at both Peavy and Rios, if they want both, we are guaranteed 1 or 2 of Bogarts, Bradley Jr and Webster without a doubt.

The White Sox aren't getting Bogaerts. He's a top 5 prospect in all baseball. Not a chance in hell unless Sale is going to Boston.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)

Bogaerts just isn't going to happen, and I think they'll be looking at Bradley Jr in CF next year if/when they lose Ellsbury

Also, the Pirates would be crazy not to try and get Ramirez and Rios in the same deal.

Crazy? Two guys we are desperate to get rid of? I don't understand reasoning sometimes. Why should they be dying to get Alex Rios and Alexei Ramirez? The Pirates are doing OK without both and both are not all-star caliber players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Crazy? Two guys we are desperate to get rid of? I don't understand reasoning sometimes. Why should they be dying to get Alex Rios and Alexei Ramirez? The Pirates are doing OK without both and both are not all-star caliber players.

#1) The Sox are not desperate to get rid of Rios or Ramirez. They'd be content going into next season with both.

#2) The Pirates have gotten absolutely horrible production out of their shortstops and right fielders this year

You really let the anti-Sox blinders get to you sometimes. It's OK to look objectively at the Sox players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
#1) The Sox are not desperate to get rid of Rios or Ramirez. They'd be content going into next season with both.

#2) The Pirates have gotten absolutely horrible production out of their shortstops and right fielders this year

You really let the anti-Sox blinders get to you sometimes. It's OK to look objectively at the Sox players.

We have heard from 2 sources there was very little interest in Ramirez and the White Sox were extremely dissappointed in the offers for Rios. The blinders are being worn by the people who actually think the Pittsburgh Pirates would actually acquire both and give up any of their top prospects.

I would say this, Alex Rios' production the next 10 days is extremely important. Probably more so than Peavy pitching gems.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
We have heard from 2 sources there was very little interest in Ramirez and the White Sox were extremely dissappointed in the offers for Rios. The blinders are being worn by the people who actually think the Pittsburgh Pirates would actually acquire both and give up any of their top prospects.

I would say this, Alex Rios' production the next 10 days is extremely important. Probably more so than Peavy pitching gems.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if you look at the Pirates needs and who they are up against in the NL Central, I am confident that they would have a lot of interest in possibly acquiring both Rios and Ramirez. It really doesn't matter what other teams want or value the players as, it is what the Pirates need. And Ramirez and Rios would be light years better than what they have gotten out of RF and SS thus far, most likely.

Things could get especially interesting if the Pirates don't start off hot after the break and fall to 4 or 5 behind the Cards a couple days away from the deadline. Huntington might be even more willing to make a deal to since the Pirates did fall off in the second half two years in a row as well.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm not saying it will happen, but if you look at the Pirates needs and who they are up against in the NL Central, I am confident that they would have a lot of interest in possibly acquiring both Rios and Ramirez. It really doesn't matter what other teams want or value the players as, it is what the Pirates need. And Ramirez and Rios would be light years better than what they have gotten out of RF and SS thus far, most likely.

Things could get especially interesting if the Pirates don't start off hot after the break and fall to 4 or 5 behind the Cards a couple days away from the deadline. Huntington might be even more willing to make a deal to since the Pirates did fall off in the second half two years in a row as well.

I will believe the Pirates acquire that kind of money with 2 guys who really give you iffy production when it happens.

If it were a team like the Dodgers(I know they have no spot for Rios) who are known for not being afraid to take on some cash, IMO it would be more plausible.

The amount of money the White Sox would have to pay to acquire a decent prospect seems to make little sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
I will believe the Pirates acquire that kind of money with 2 guys who really give you iffy production when it happens.

If it were a team like the Dodgers(I know they have no spot for Rios) who are known for not being afraid to take on some cash, IMO it would be more plausible.

The amount of money the White Sox would have to pay to acquire a decent prospect seems to make little sense.

Understandable, and I agree with you, any deal with the Pirates would require a decent chunk added in by the White Sox, but I think spending that money to get better prospects in return makes more sense than the alternate options out there. Also, its not like Rios and Ramirez have contracts that can cripple the Pirates for years to come.

Here is an interesting take on both alexei and rios from http://www.piratesprospects.com

TLDR:

Analysis: Rios and Ramirez together have a value of about $4 M. That’s not even a Grade B prospect. Instead it’s two Grade C prospects. They both have name value, but the actual value is low due to their huge contracts. Any team trading for them is going to be taking on about $40 M over the next three years. If the White Sox picked up half of that money, they’d get a better trade return. That would be worth a top 100 hitting prospect, plus a Grade B hitter or two Grade C pitchers.

Analysis: Rios and Ramirez together have a value of about $4 M. That’s not even a Grade B prospect. Instead it’s two Grade C prospects. They both have name value, but the actual value is low due to their huge contracts. Any team trading for them is going to be taking on about $40 M over the next three years. If the White Sox picked up half of that money, they’d get a better trade return. That would be worth a top 100 hitting prospect, plus a Grade B hitter or two Grade C pitchers.

Just what Dick Allen is saying. It doesn't make much sense to move these two guys if the Sox have to pay that kind of money to get rid of them. Like that analysis said, they have no value.