One move...

southsider2k5

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1b needs a warm body. Abreu is my top guy. Would accept others like Morales if somehow we miss on Abreu.

With every other position on the roster I can at least say who plays it next year, including catcher. The guy we have at those spots might be someone we'd want to improve upon, fine, but right now the only 1b on the roster is Andy Wilkins/Adam Dunn/Jeff Keppinger.

And it's time for our last 1b to retire.

Trade Santiago for a package of minor league positional talent. Quintana would probably get you the better odds on these lottery tickets, but Santiago could net you something solid as well. In addition to a couple decent positional players, a lower level right handed starter with high upside could be nice to help balance out the rotation over the longer term.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
1b needs a warm body. Abreu is my top guy. Would accept others like Morales if somehow we miss on Abreu.

With every other position on the roster I can at least say who plays it next year, including catcher. The guy we have at those spots might be someone we'd want to improve upon, fine, but right now the only 1b on the roster is Andy Wilkins/Adam Dunn/Jeff Keppinger.

And it's time for our last 1b to retire.

3B IMO is a bigger problem than first base. We have a guy at 3B who could play for one team in baseball apparently, ours, in Gillaspie. If I had to pick one thing, it'd be having Dunn retire. If you give me five things, 1.) Dunn please retire. 2.) Get rid of Kepp/Gillaspie and let Semien play third if we can't get a free agent. 3.) Get a new CF and get rid of DeAza. 4.) Get a new 2B and get rid of Beckham. 5.) New catcher.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
3B IMO is a bigger problem than first base. We have a guy at 3B who could play for one team in baseball apparently, ours, in Gillaspie. If I had to pick one thing, it'd be having Dunn retire. If you give me five things, 1.) Dunn please retire. 2.) Get rid of Kepp/Gillaspie and let Semien play third if we can't get a free agent. 3.) Get a new CF and get rid of DeAza. 4.) Get a new 2B and get rid of Beckham. 5.) New catcher.

I think you just explained why first is a bigger priority, though. Even if you cut the two-headed Jonnor Gilleppinger, you have some interesting options from the minor league ranks to fill in. First base, on the other hand, is a black hole for years to come, especially if you want to dump Dunn. And while it's easier to acquire a first basemen that can hit a bit, that means that when don't have one, you are missing a major piece of offense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)

Do you look at the numbers? Gillaspie more than held his own against right handed pitching and actually provided positive value this year, albeit a small amount. The White Sox got negative overall production out of 1B, and Konerko was among the worst players in the majors.

1B is by far the biggest hole on this team. Yes, 3B can be upgraded upon, as can a lot of positions, but if you get someone in who provides value of 3.0 WAR at 1B and you limit Dunn's ABs against LHP pitching, you are already talking about adding 6 wins to the team.

Personally, I think the position Semien needs to play this year is 2B. I'm done with Beckham.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
Brian McCann and Abreu are on my wish list. Couple trades can definitely improve this team

We can probably forget about the Sox signing high-profile free agents, including Abreu. The Sox are going to have to make smart trades, smaller free agent signings, and gasp, actually draft and develop some position players. Garcia and Semien look to be a good start at rebuilding the offense, but this is probably going to take a few years to get back to contention.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
We can probably forget about the Sox signing high-profile free agents, including Abreu. The Sox are going to have to make smart trades, smaller free agent signings, and gasp, actually draft and develop some position players. Garcia and Semien look to be a good start at rebuilding the offense, but this is probably going to take a few years to get back to contention.

Except that Hahn has already said that if a free agent makes sense for 2015 and beyond, they'll be right there. That fits McCann and Abreu perfectly.

I genuinely think that the Sox will end up with Abreu. It simply makes way, way too much sense not to.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)

MLB.com's Anthony DiComo reports that the Mets are scouting Jose Abreu in the Dominican Republic.

Along with a whole bunch of other major league teams. Baseball America's Ben Badler wrote early Monday that the Rangers "have the inside edge if they want to sign Abreu" but the Red Sox, Nationals, Pirates, White Sox, Giants and Mets have all now been linked. Abreu is a 26-year-old power-hitting first baseman from Cuba.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
What if the Sox signed Abreu and McCann and traded Santiago and something for Lawrie. How would the team stack up at that point? As bad as this team seems, a couple of hitters, guys like Viciedo, Garcia and/or Beckham stepping up, and they are a pretty good team again.

Holy f***, Viciedo and Beckham are NOT stepping up. They are awful baseball players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
What if the Sox signed Abreu and McCann and traded Santiago and something for Lawrie. How would the team stack up at that point? As bad as this team seems, a couple of hitters, guys like Viciedo, Garcia and/or Beckham stepping up, and they are a pretty good team again.

Beckham is never going to step up, that's almost a done deal at this point. Hahn is going to have to make some slick moves but with the current rotation and globs on money that the Sox have, it's not unthinkable that they could be a good team next year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Beckham is never going to step up, that's almost a done deal at this point. Hahn is going to have to make some slick moves but with the current rotation and globs on money that the Sox have, it's not unthinkable that they could be a good team next year.

I think Beckham has the best chance to step up of the 3. This year wasn't the greatest, but he did hit into a lot of bad luck. If he can stay healthy, and that is a big IF, his wrist will be stronger and a few more balls are going to leave the field and get to the walls, and he will be better defensively. He was playing the last couple of months with a bad quad.

I do think for the Sox to be a real good team Viciedo and Garcia are probably the most important bats that need to take off.

Edited by Dick Allen