2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Verlander left Monday's start versus the Pirates after one inning due to soreness in his right shoulder.

Verlander was hammered for five runs -- four earned -- on four hits and two walks over his inning of work, but he was apparently pitching hurt. The right-hander has never missed a start during his career due to a health issue, but that streak is obviously in jeopardy now. He will be re-evaluated on Tuesday.

Source: Jason Beck on Twitter

Uh Oh time in the Motor City......................I think Verlander has been hurt for a while.

Verlander and Sanchez both out at least 4-6 weeks.

Royals in a 2-2 time late against the A's bottom of the 7th.

Ventura and Sonny Gray had quite the pitcher's match-up, lived up to the billing.

Btw, KC plays some pretty great defense...other than Butler when he's at 1B, which doesn't happen very often.

Especially up the middle, where the only weaker link is Infante. Escobar, Gordon, Cain, Perez and Moustakas can all play at close to a Gold Glove level.

Edited by caulfield12

If the Rangers and Daniels hadn't been stupid enough to take on the Fielder contract....they'd be totally screwed and unable to keep either Victor Martinez or Max Scherzer for 2015.

LOL at the Twins helping out the Royals with Willingham. Of course, they traded Delmon Young to the Tigers about 3-4 years ago, too.

If the Royals do go far into the post-season (and there's still a LONG ways to go), building a team around speed/pitching/defense/strong bullpen is going to get even more attention, just like the Pirates with their extensive series of defensive shifts and stressing the two-seam sinking fastball to keep more balls on the infield and out of the air.

Has a team with the lowest numbers of homers in the AL or NL ever made the playoffs? That might be a first.

(By the way, Travis Snider would be a nice pick-up for the Sox, but it's more likely the Pirates will try to deal Tabata.)

Edited by caulfield12

PITTSBURGH — At the start of the final stop on a deteriorating trip, on the day after a 19-inning, bullpen-exhausting loss in Toronto, the Tigers were walloped with an exacta of Justin Verlander woe in the first inning Monday night.

Verlander, who has never missed a start because of a health issue, allowed five runs in the first and didn’t come out for the second. The club announced he departed the game because of “right shoulder soreness.” The only other detail the club immediately offered is that Verlander will be re-examined today.

It was the shortest start of Verlander’s nine-year career. The previous shortest was 11⁄3 innings in 2008 against the Yankees.

The Pirates won, 11-6, and Verlander’s record in interleague play dropped to 25-3. If Kansas City beat Oakland later Monday night, it would take over first in the AL Central from the Tigers by a half-game.

Verlander’s shoulder trouble erupted two days after fellow starter Anibal Sanchez suffered a pectoral muscle strain that is expected to keep him out at least three to four weeks.

Verlander was succeeded by the three pitchers the Tigers called up Monday in the wake of the bullpen being worn out by Sunday’s marathon. Justin Miller gave up three runs in two innings; Ian Krol threw two scoreless innings; and right-hander Kevin Whelan, who didn’t allow a homer in the minors this season, allowed back-to-back homers in the sixth in his first big-league inning this season as the Tigers fell behind, 10-4.

The Tigers made three misplays in the first inning behind Verlander, and one of the runs was unearned. Verlander gave up four hits, including a bases-loaded triple to Starling Marte, and he walked two. All this from a lineup that lacked defending NL MVP Andrew McCutchen (who went on the disabled list Monday).

The Tigers fell to 2-6 on a trip in which their many losses in Yankee Stadium and in Toronto tended to involve poor hitting, wasted starting pitching and blown ninth-inning leads.

www.freep.com/sports

Looks like the Tigers are thinking about adding yet another hitter...but they probably need at least one more starter, too.

Rookie Robbie Ray is going Tuesday.

Cano almost homered twice and the M's are killing the Blue Jays, fwiw.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...-detroit-tigers

The Implosion of the Detroit Tigers...Dave Schoenfield

because of what the club described as “right shoulder soreness.”

In discussing the shoulder trouble that KO’d him, Verlander said, “It’s been lingering for a little while.”

Asked to define “a while,” he declined to.

Verlander entered Monday 10-10 with a 4.57 ERA. His admission about “a while” raises the possibility that he has been pitching hurt for a while. On Monday night, he might have crossed the line from “hurt” to “injured.”

www.freep.com/sports

http://www.freep.com/article/20140811/COL3...dyssey=obinsite

I'm no longer confident in the Tigers' playoff chances, Jeff Seidel, Detroit Free Press

The basic premise being that giving up Drew Smyly (key bullpen component/starter capability), Joaquin Benoit, Austin Jackson, Omar Infante, Peralta and Octavio Dotel, and the trading (or having to trade) Doug Fister were all moves that ended up weakening depth because of so much money being devoted to the star players.

JD Martinez (waived by the Astros) and Rajai Davis played over their heads for a half season but have since come back to earth, Torii Hunter's simply gotten old, Nathan as well, Verlander's arm/shoulder have fallen off....Soria and Sanchez are also both hurt, Castellanos is a rookie with all of the ups and downs that go with that in terms of offense and defense. Joba's Joba.

Basically, they're relying almost completely on the star wattage of Price (very good, but not quite as dominant as in the past and Smyly was extremely overrated), Scherzer, Miguel Cabera (has declined this season from MVP form, comparable statistically to MELKY Cabrera), Verlander, Ian Kinsler and Victor Martinez to get them through the World Series, and the complementary players just aren't good enough or were due for regressions statistically.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
I dont mind seeing the Royals take control. Give them a thrill

Which will make it that much better when the Royals collapse and miss the playoffs. Again.

Between them, the Blue Jays (20 years), and the Mariners (12 years), the 3 longest postseason droughts could be ended.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
Which will make it that much better when the Royals collapse and miss the playoffs. Again.

What's up with you and your disgust for the Royals? It's almost as bad as Mike's (ss2k5) hate for Maggs or wite's love for Willie Bloomquist. I don't even think Greg hates them that much and he lives (or used to live) in the city. :lol:

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
So if the Tigers miss the playoffs, who's that on, Ausmus or DD?

Because if Ventura had that talent that the Tigers have, and the Sox were in their position right now, we would be calling for RV's heads.

Ausmus is the sacrificial lamb.

Dombrowski is only doing what the owner tells him to do.

If anything, the flop is on the owner.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
What's up with you and your disgust for the Royals? It's almost as bad as Mike's (ss2k5) hate for Maggs or wite's love for Willie Bloomquist. I don't even think Greg hates them that much and he lives (or used to live) in the city. :lol:

Haha. I honestly hate Detroit more, but I guess I've just grown so accustomed to seeing them winning the division, it doesn't bother me. I've just been hearing year after year about how "This is the Year!" for KC and their young players, but it still hasn't happened. I just enjoy seeing them fall short, instead of the "Told You So!" all the experts will spit out after they finally make the playoffs once.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)

Greg doesn't hate the Royals, far from it...he always gets always gets accused of being more of a fan of the Royals than the Sox, actually.

I lived in KC from 1996-2005 and 2006-2007, so, just for the sake of my former city, I'm definitely rooting for them over the Tigers. They have a ton of good, but long-suffering fans.

The last 11 home games, they've responded well, except for last night when they had a great pitching match-up of Ventura and Sonny Gray and first place on the line (granted, it was a Monday night).

July 24th 7 games back (51-50)

21,479 (last night, when they took back first place by 1/2 game)

Attendance is up 8.7% compared to last season...it will grow even more on weekends, but now they have to deal with school/vacations/less families coming out and the Chiefs on Sundays.

Still their best record this late since August, 2003, when the Twins and White Sox were in the process of blowing by them.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)

Ha!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Haha. I honestly hate Detroit more, but I guess I've just grown so accustomed to seeing them winning the division, it doesn't bother me. I've just been hearing year after year about how "This is the Year!" for KC and their young players, but it still hasn't happened. I just enjoy seeing them fall short, instead of the "Told You So!" all the experts will spit out after they finally make the playoffs once.

So true. They are in the world's second longest rebuild...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...cle1200245.html

Long but very fun and engaging read about the healthy doses of optimism tempered with perpetual pessimism about the Royals for the past 28 years.

It's titled "THE THRILLED CONFUSION AND HONEST HESITATION AROUND THE ROYALS" aka September, 2012 for White Sox fans

The Royals will make room for Josh Willingham by getting rid of Scott Downs. There will be much snark on Twitter about Downs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
Good thing the Tigers traded for Price, huh? They'd be so screwed right now if they hadn't.

Yes, but...they've traded away Fister and Smyly now, so any benefit of having traded FOR Price is offset by being yet another pitcher short in the rotation now that Sanchez is also out.

Scherzer

Price

Porcello

Robbie Ray (part of the trade with the Nationals for Fister)

Buck Farmer (great name, see below)

Robbie Ray was Tuesday night’s scheduled starter. Right-hander Buck Farmer, with only two starts higher than the Single A West Michigan level under his belt, will start against the Pirates on Wednesday night at Comerica Park – followed by Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello and David Price.

Because of Verlander’s situation, though – and what he described as “the spider web of things that could happen following the results,” the Tigers don’t know what their rotation plans will be beyond Saturday.

Of Farmer, Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said, “Ideally you have more development time, but our guys like him.

“We moved him to Double A because we were concerned that if we needed extra pitching down the road, it would give him exposure (at a higher level).

“I think he has a chance to come here and pitch well.”

But a rotation without Sanchez and Verlander forces the Tigers to improvise.

“We have to get our feet back on the ground right now,” said Dombrowski. “We’re bringing guys up, moving them around.

“We’ll see what happens.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014081...7#ixzz3ACNcY787

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
That Doug Fister trade still makes absolutely no sense and might be one of the biggest reasons they are where they are now.

They must have hated Fister to trade him for what they got.