Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
So the Sox say they owe it to Konerko to go out on his own terms. How about they owe it to the fans to stop BSing us. Oh yea we want to compete. Konerko was paid massive amounts of money to play for the Sox. You don't owe him anything. Try owing the fans a winner. The White Sox "family" atmosphere includes guys like Baines, Ventura and Konerko but the fans are not part of the family. Apparently we are the red-headed step child.

It's ridiculously early, and they've already upgraded 1B and DH(A PK/Dunn platoon is better than just having one or the other). What are they BSing about?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
So the Sox say they owe it to Konerko to go out on his own terms. How about they owe it to the fans to stop BSing us. Oh yea we want to compete. Konerko was paid massive amounts of money to play for the Sox. You don't owe him anything. Try owing the fans a winner. The White Sox "family" atmosphere includes guys like Baines, Ventura and Konerko but the fans are not part of the family. Apparently we are the red-headed step child.

Some of this goes too far. I get the spirit of what you are saying, but signing PK to THIS deal does not get in the way of winning. Perhaps other aspects of this offseason will, but not THIS specifically. Against lefties he had a .923 OPS last year. And you just paid $2.5M with a mil of that deferred.

So in pure buying-situational-offense terms you just got a great deal, and if he has a bounceback year then it is an outstanding deal. This may come as news, but we need offense here.

if this deal had come AFTER several other moves, it'd be hailed as a nice cherry on top. But - because it is coming FIRST, no one is judging it on its own merits, and instead viewing it in all these made-up negative terms ONLY.

Again, some of that narrative is fair but not the wall-of-hate reaction. That level of it is ridiculous.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:01 AM)
I think it is a dumb baseball move from an organization that desperately needs a plethora of smart baseball moves. In my mind it is akin to the Mariners signing Bloomquist. It isn't a huge investment, but it is a poorly conceived and wasteful one.

Why?

Isn't a Dunn/Konerko platoon better than Dunn alone?

Only argument I see is that they should have upgraded Dunn period, and not just given him a platoon partner.

They have marginally upgraded the DH position. This does nothing to help the Sox compete and it eats up a spot that could be used for a more versatile, young player. It's blush used where major reconstructive surgery is needed.

My hypothesis, and i'm sure i'm not the first to say it, is that Hahn is trying to insulate the team from poor attendance, at least somewhat, during what figures to be another miserable campaign.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:25 AM)
They have marginally upgraded the DH position. This does nothing to help the Sox compete and it eats up a spot that could be used for a more versatile, young player. It's blush used where major reconstructive surgery is needed.

My hypothesis, and i'm sure i'm not the first to say it, is that Hahn is trying to insulate the team from poor attendance, at least somewhat, during what figures to be another miserable campaign.

Who is this young, versatile player you speak of? We don't want Semien on the bench and Garcia can still have a spot on the bench.

Ok so we expect to carry -

Konerko

Gillaspie

L. Garcia

Some catcher

JorDanks / other 4th OF

Ok, plus the starting 9 is 14. That leaves 11 spots for pitchers. So either you carry one less reliever, or you ditch one of those bench guys. My guess would be Gillaspie, but all of them are excellent bets to out-produce Konerko in 2014.

Now at this point you could fall back on it being early in the offseason. Normally this would be the case, but the market has progressed unusually fast this year and the Sox don't have any players that are going to draw much of a return.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:25 AM)
it eats up a spot that could be used for a more versatile, young player.

Like Angel Sanchez? Or Tyler Greene?

If you have a starting shortstop like Alexei who is going to play 158 games, does it make any sense to waste a roster spot for an entire season with his defensive replacement? A guy who will start 4 games? Or does it make sense to give a cheap contract to a guy who may start 50 games who put up a .923 OPS against lefties last year?

I think the best solution is to start Semien at AAA to get a better idea if he really is ready. Start Gillespie at 3rd ( assuming we don't trade for a 3B), then hope Beckham/ Ramirez have a good first half making themselves desirable by the trade deadline which opens up a spot for Semien.

This alleviates the extra bench player which leaves us with Paulie, Garcia, C? and Danks on the bench. Now we can carry the extra arm in the pen which could very well be needed considering we'll have a young starter in the rotation anyway ( Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson).

This is based on the current roster.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
Who is this young, versatile player you speak of? We don't want Semien on the bench and Garcia can still have a spot on the bench.

Theoretically, Leury Garcia. (If you have Danks, Konerko, Keppinger and Phegley/Flowers).

Although you can surely make the argument at least that he would be better off playing ONE specific position at Charlotte (SS, 2B or CF) than playing all over the field as a defensive replacement/PR at the major league level.

Edited by caulfield12

He will have a very good year. You heard it here first. Thank goodness he's back. Gives me a reason to watch this pathetic team and maybe buy mlb.com again.

Don't flame me, but can Dunn play left field? I'd rather see a platoon of Dunn/Viciedo out there. Let DeAza play center and Garcia right. Abreu DH.

Can Abreu play LF?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:07 AM)
He will have a very good year. You heard it here first. Thank goodness he's back. Gives me a reason to watch this pathetic team and maybe buy mlb.com again.

Don't flame me, but can Dunn play left field? I'd rather see a platoon of Dunn/Viciedo out there. Let DeAza play center and Garcia right. Abreu DH.

Can Abreu play LF?

NO.

NO.

Can Abreu play LF?

Nope, Dunn and Abreu aren't playing the OF.

Paulie is a backup DH greg, nothing more.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
I think it is a dumb baseball move from an organization that desperately needs a plethora of smart baseball moves. In my mind it is akin to the Mariners signing Bloomquist. It isn't a huge investment, but it is a poorly conceived and wasteful one.

Your dissing wite's boy.. dangerous waters my friend...

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
With the signing of our next superstar, Abreu, having both Konerko and Dunn makes no sense. If Abreu proves in ST that he is the real deal, release Dunn and eat his salary. They'll have to eat it one way or the other.

I realized one thing a bit ago...

If the Sox are forced to release Dunn, or forced to trade Dunn, or forced to trade/release Keppinger to make this signing work (and it seems difficult to avoid)....the "True cost to own" of Paul Konerko in 2013 is not $2.5 million, it's $2.5 million+ whatever they have to eat on that deal to make their roster make sense.

If they have to pay an extra 1/2 of Dunn or Keppinger's contract...then the cost of signing Konerko this season is $7.5-$10 million just to make the roster work.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)
Ok so we expect to carry -

Konerko

Gillaspie

L. Garcia

Some catcher

JorDanks / other 4th OF

Ok, plus the starting 9 is 14. That leaves 11 spots for pitchers. So either you carry one less reliever, or you ditch one of those bench guys. My guess would be Gillaspie, but all of them are excellent bets to out-produce Konerko in 2014.

Now at this point you could fall back on it being early in the offseason. Normally this would be the case, but the market has progressed unusually fast this year and the Sox don't have any players that are going to draw much of a return.

I, and others, have outlined the possibilities on the bench numerous times.

At this point they can either go with...

A. PK-Catcher-Keppinger-Garcia- I like this one the most because Lexi is a virtual lock to play close to 162 games, so the fact that Garcia can also play the OF gets more use out of someone who only plays SS. Garcia brings you more speed than Danks, and perhaps even better defense in CF, Danks does have the power advantage but with Pauley or Dunn on the bench they are your guys to come off the bench to try and hit you a HR.

B. PK-Catcher-Keppinger-Danks- In this scenario Beckham plays a few games at SS which I think there's no question he can do.

then there are possibilities for...

C. PK-Catcher-Danks-Garcia- We havent't even hit the Winter meetings yet folks, Keppinger could end up being traded.

D. PK-Catcher-Danks-Beckham- See above coupled with the addition of a new 2nd basemen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)
It's ridiculously early, and they've already upgraded 1B and DH(A PK/Dunn platoon is better than just having one or the other). What are they BSing about?

SSS says it better than I could . http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/12/5/5176...of-paul-konerko All that lip service BS about wanting to compette and most of all about getting younger and what Hahn said at the trade deadline last year "more diversified offensive attack. We need better defense. We need a more athletic combination of position players on our roster." Does PK bring any of that ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
SSS says it better than I could . http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/12/5/5176...of-paul-konerko All that lip service BS about wanting to compette and most of all about getting younger and what Hahn said at the trade deadline last year "more diversified offensive attack. We need better defense. We need a more athletic combination of position players on our roster." Does PK bring any of that ?

DHs don't play defense sir, they aren't technically a position player either, and doesn't adding a platoon player/guy who can come in late against LH pitching make them more diverse?

The offseason is far from complete, I don't see how upgrading the DH position isn't something that detours them from the possibility of them competing.

Can Abreu play LF?

Unless you're seeing news reports the rest of us aren't, Konerko will not be playing a lot. He's going to be a back-up DH/1B and will serve as more of a clubhouse leader and mentor. If he only gets 150 ABs or so (which seems realistic right now), he might hit some homeruns and have a few RBIs. Overall, he's not going to have a big impact on the field.

And stop messing around with Abreu's future. He will be the starting first baseman for the Sox, that's it. And, no, Dunn cannot play LF effectively.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
Anyone think that they trade off Keppinger and Elmore makes the roster for his ability to play everywhere and emergency catch?

Bench:

Back up catcher

Konerko/Dunn (based on who starts that day)

Garcia (IF/OF)

Elmore (IF/OF/emergency catcher)

Chances are, Konerko or Dunn on the bench are still going to get an at-bat every game hitting for the catcher late in the game. I know teams are iffy about taking the starting catcher out of the game, but with an emergency catcher like Elmore on the team, it could make them not worry about that so much if he only had to catch for an inning after the replacement were to get injured (big if that the backup would come in and get hurt). Just a thought and another option for the team.

You need left handed power off the bench. I strongly doubt both Garcia and Elmore make the roster. I think Danks is making the roster next year no matter what.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
Over under on dongs next year? 17

Way, way under. I'd be surprised if he gets to 9. Unless you are expecting him to hit homers at a Bonds-ian pace.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)

Come on, let's call a spade a spade. The Bloomquist signing is akin to the White Sox signing Keppinger.