Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
I did get a kick out of Paxson saying over and over again yesterday how the $20 million+ they saved trading Deng will be put back into the team? How? There's a salary cap.

I'm sure I'm not getting it 100% right, but Bulls would have been over the salary cap and into luxury tax territory which isn't a static penalty, it becomes more and more severe if you're a repeat offender. Shedding the Deng/Bynum money resets them so if they need to pay luxury tax to make a signficant move the penalty toll starts fresh.

So basically it's not a hard cap, they can exceed the cap with that money eventually and pay less tax.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
I sure don't ever remember feeling that way. Has anyone got some links or something?

Because its not true. The Sox were moving money to make room for him a long time ago. The Sox were in on him as soon as he was made available.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
Because its not true. The Sox were moving money to make room for him a long time ago. The Sox were in on him as soon as he was made available.

I'm not saying they weren't, but throughout last season conflicting reports would come out about who was favorite and teams that worked him out.

one example: http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/report-gi...n-slugger-abreu

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
I'm not saying they weren't, but throughout last season conflicting reports would come out about who was favorite and teams that worked him out.

CSN Bay Area calls the local team the favorite to sign him. Instead, they weren't even among the finalists. This still doesn't say that the White Sox had little chance of signing him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
There are some interesting nuggets about Tanaka in Michael Sneed's Sun Times column today. I don't know if it's Kenny being Kenny or what but it's definitely interesting.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/2484383...ll-of-fame.html

Eh, I think probably just talking to him. He was in Australia to check on prospects plus probably as some sort of sit down meeting with a couple guys as there was a fight in a "winter" league down there. Same thing was probably happening in the Dominican. In LA, he could have been meeting with prospects or meeting with Tanaka and company. Doesn't necessarily mean they are going to make a move, but possibly that they're considering it. It's a really good sign, especially seeing Williams doing this because it puts an end to the speculation that Williams is doing the work and Hahn is merely there in title only.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
There are some interesting nuggets about Tanaka in Michael Sneed's Sun Times column today. I don't know if it's Kenny being Kenny or what but it's definitely interesting.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/2484383...ll-of-fame.html

Seems like a strong hint on something.

As for Australia, in addition to what others mentioned, remember too that KW is a business head now. This relationship the Sox have with the Sydney Blue Sox is a new thing, and they probably need to do things to maintain it. One player was involved (peripherally) in a fight, the other was hurt (not in the fight) and flew home. Could be there to make sure things are still OK, and to work on decisions about future ABL seasons for their prospects.

Or, outside possibility, they were scouting players in the ABL. Not just the Sox guys, but other MiLB guys who are down there (like Keon Broxton).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Seems like a strong hint on something.

As for Australia, in addition to what others mentioned, remember too that KW is a business head now. This relationship the Sox have with the Sydney Blue Sox is a new thing, and they probably need to do things to maintain it. One player was involved (peripherally) in a fight, the other was hurt (not in the fight) and flew home. Could be there to make sure things are still OK, and to work on decisions about future ABL seasons for their prospects.

Or, outside possibility, they were scouting players in the ABL. Not just the Sox guys, but other MiLB guys who are down there (like Keon Broxton).

I agree it's a strong hint, and the last time KW set a coded hint like this was for Abreu and we signed him. Too add to the mystique of his comments. More importantly LA, here is the latest update via MLBTR. To sum up, didn't make it to Chicago, instead flew to LA for meetings.

MLBTR-

Masahiro Tanaka has arrived in the United States to begin meeting with Major League clubs, tweets David Waldstein of the New York Times. Tanaka was originally planning on flying into Chicago, but an NL official tells Waldstein that weather caused him to fly into Los Angeles instead.

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Tanaka's camp could meet with as many as a dozen by Friday. According to Heyman, the Dodgers, Angels, Cubs, White Sox, Yankees and Diamondbacks all have meetings set. The Blue Jays have also had multiple conversations with Tanaka's camp already, he adds, but it's unclear if they have a face-to-face meeting set in Los Angeles. Heyman reports that Tanaka began meetings yesterday and could meet with five to six teams per day.

If somehow we were able to sign him, what a fing offseason. Plus the potential for our rotation, Sale, Tanaka, and Q. I would be estatic for the season.

I would obviously get excited about signing Tanaka, but I can't say I mind missing out on him. Giving even the best pitchers the kind of contract terms we're talking about frightens me. We don't even know if this guy can cut it. Would it be a good idea to commit upwards of $200M to two players who have never seen an inning of MLB or even American playing time?

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)

That doesnt say anything that contradicts what I said. The Sox were in on him from day 1 and the contract offered was exactly in the range of what I was told and mentioned on this site.

It was the perfect storm for the Sox to get Abreu with the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox all pretty much set at 1B/DH. If a couple of those teams really needed him, his price tag probably rises significantly.

With Tanaka, with KW in LA, obviously the Sox appear serious. It makes total sense, and would put their rebuild on the fast track. Obviously, I still believe it's a long shot at best, but roll the dice.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
That doesnt say anything that contradicts what I said. The Sox were in on him from day 1 and the contract offered was exactly in the range of what I was told and mentioned on this site.

Rock, you got anything on Tanaka?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
It was the perfect storm for the Sox to get Abreu with the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox all pretty much set at 1B/DH. If a couple of those teams really needed him, his price tag probably rises significantly.

With Tanaka, with KW in LA, obviously the Sox appear serious. It makes total sense, and would put their rebuild on the fast track. Obviously, I still believe it's a long shot at best, but roll the dice.

Agreed, and by the quotes from KW in the sun times article, he's taking this Tanaka business seriously. Whether or not we end up signing him, you can not fault this Front Offce for the effort and dedication they have put forth this offseason righting this ship. If they could ice my cake with a 25 year old pitcher who went 24-0 last season with a 1.50 ERA. I would be speechless. To add his potential with Sale and the other young high ceiling players we have traded for. The buzz the would and have generated on the South side would be amazing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Rock, you got anything on Tanaka?

He's already said that there's virtually no shot. There's nothing wrong with due diligence, and they'll give their pitch. It's likely Tanaka goes to the highest offer and that's not likely to be the Sox.