Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Those are relievers, and not even closers at that. I'd be shocked if Coop hasn't been asked for input on whether or not to give a starting pitcher $100M+.

Point being, I think the White Sox scouts find guys that they like that they feel Cooper can work with. They may consult him, but overall, his job is to turn the crap they give him into gold. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I would guess and hope that they also consult Coop for high draft picks like Sale, Johnson, Beck, Danish etc.

I hope so too. If they don't then they're crazy.

That's like having the best mechanic in the county as a close personal friend or family member and then not even asking his advice before you run out and buy a new car. But that stuff still happens all time and you just have to wonder why. Why take on any large risk without first asking an expert who is already right there and perfectly willing and able to offer you free advice?

I remember hearing both ends of the scale on this, i.e. Coop mentioned to Kenny that he wanted Matt Thornton, so Kenny got him Thornton. But Coop has also said he wasn't aware of a bunch of moves. He had no idea we'd traded for Edwin Jackson when it happened, but of course that doesn't mean that the Sox brass and Coop never had conversations about that hypothetical deal. I would hope that whenever the Sox have their offseason organizational meetings, when they look at potentially available pitchers on the FA and trade markets, if they target specific guys at that time then I hope they ask Coop for his opinion on them.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Sox outbidding NYY/SEA on this would be a bad move. Could work out, but too risky for this team, IMO.

especially when our original plan this off season is to spend some of the payroll savings in the scouting and latin american market to ensure long term success. Throwing 100+ million on this guy would be a bad move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
I agree. Get the next one.

I think it's obvious to everyone on the board that the Axelrod signing was an indication that the Sox weren't getting Tanaka. Move on to the second best pitcher on the market.

They will not sign a major free agent pitcher if it's not tanaka.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
especially when our original plan this off season is to spend some of the payroll savings in the scouting and latin american market to ensure long term success. Throwing 100+ million on this guy would be a bad move.

well, all good plans should have flexibility if a unique opportunity arises, so just ignoring him completely wouldn't be great IMO. If it's a realistic option and Sox brass think it's the right thing if the price is right than deviating is OK.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
They will not sign a major free agent pitcher if it's not tanaka.

Oh I know. I'm glad they don't. The only one that is mildly interesting to me at all is Jimenez just because he has ace potential, but his floor is also very, very low and he's going to cost a ton. And again, I was just joking with that comment, given that Axelrod blows.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
What's Kershaw's contract status? If he doesn't have a team friendly extension they are going to have to pony up major for him. In theory I agree with Rogers (gross to type that), but they may have to have another mega/record breaking deal with Kershaw soon if that's not already sewed up.

The last rumor I came across was the Dodgers were trying to get Kershaw inked to a 300M life time contact that he turned down.

http://www.faketeams.com/2013/12/29/525146...est-free-agency

Funny thing is the Dodgers want to extend Ramirez too. Were talking crazy money here between Kershaw and Ramirez. This is why I have a hard time taking the Dodgers seriously with Tanaka rumors. Plus look at the big contracts they can't move ( Beckett, Kemp, Crawford etc.) to relieve some payroll space for Tanaka.

I'm thinking the rumors about the Dodgers and Tanaka are coming from the Dodger camp to try and drive the price up on AZ.

For what is worth, the Sox called me today to ask if I wanted season tickets after not renewing for 2 years I told the ticket rep, I wanted to wait until the Tanaka thing played out and if he signed I just might. Her response: "I am hearing that exact same thing from so many people". Sign him!

You would also get an infusion of Japanese fans at the games too. I went to a Sox Mariners game one year. The stadium was filled with Japanese people (most of which weren't even representing a baseball team). They went crazy whenever Ichiro came up to bat. They also had a Japanese reliever come into pitch and all of the people by my seats went crazy. Then Munenori Kawakaki came into the game to pinchrun and they got really excited for that too. They weren't really paying attention to the game and just laughing and having a good time with each other until a Japanese player was announced up to bat or pitch (or in this case too: run).

Edited by chisoxfan310

Has anyone seen anything regarding Tanaka's preference for the AL, with the DH, or does he like to hit

Don't know about a preference, but he played in Japan's Pacific League, which uses a DH. He only has 42 career plate appearances in 7 seasons, with only 3 hits, no walks, and 4 sac bunts.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
If Sox sign Tanaka, how much does the attendance increase? 15 starts at home probably means at least 5000 extra per game, especially if he does well.

Yeah and if we are doing well as a whole (let's be honest, we probably that good) but we would draw better on days he didn't start too.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
If Sox sign Tanaka, how much does the attendance increase? 15 starts at home probably means at least 5000 extra per game, especially if he does well.

If he, Sale and Quintana propel them into a pennant race, a lot more than that even.

Tanaka is about as high risk/high reward as they come.

If J. R. was willing to support a team payroll of over $100 million for a couple of years, before the new TV money, why should anyone doubt that he would be willing to go there again?

He's not getting any younger, and I'm sure that he sees an opportunity for the Sox to be "Chicago's team", while the Cubs rebuild.

In a previous thread, I asserted that it was easier to assess the prospects of a pitcher than a hitter, largely because a pitchers velocity, movement and location can be accurately measured, unlike a hitter's ability to hit MLB level pitching, which can only be determined after facing it.

Tanaka's stuff has been measured, metered and assessed to a sufficient degree to strongly indicate that he will be an "Ace" quality starter.

If they gave a hitter, who had never faced U. S. professional competition 6 years and $68 Million, it shouldn't be difficult to assume that they would give a similarly untested pitcher, a long term deal at $20 Million per year, with an opt out after 4 or 5 years.

The fact that Abreu has been acquired also increases the likelihood that the Sox are ready to compete, which also makes the gamble on Tanaka a better one than the gamble that had to be made on Abreu. Each additional piece of the rebuilding puzzle increases the prospects of this team to compete. Now that the Sox have added Garcia, Abreu, Eaton and Davidson, the acquisition of a big piece such as Tanaka makes more sense.

Maybe J. R. and the front office are convinced that Tanaka would be the final significant piece to put this quick rebuild on the field ready to compete, and get the fan base excited. Hey, it would excite me. How about you?

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Dodgers are trying to extend Kershaw this week. That would be great if he got 300+ and it hopefully takes them out of Tanaka knowing they have to lock up Hanley too.

You would think eventually the Dodgers have to start caring about money, but wouldn't it be awesome if JR was able to throw around money like that, and the Sox would be in on everyone all the time?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
You would think eventually the Dodgers have to start caring about money, but wouldn't it be awesome if JR was able to throw around money like that, and the Sox would be in on everyone all the time?

I'd honestly rather have our payroll than the Yankees or Dodgers. Having too much cash is how you get the A-Rod's of the world on your team.