• Disapprove
    • Not sure

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't mean to crap on anyone's opinion but who would dissaprove of Hahn so far? I completely understand uncertain,but dissaprove? Although you might not agree with his moves, this was one of the worst baseball teams last year and instead of trying to go for older, draft pick swallowing free agents (Granderson,McCann) for the short term, he undoubtedly put our team in a better position for the next few years with the money to add on if these prospects(mostly MLB ready players) pan out and fill in the missing pieces through future acquisitions. Not to mention if this whole Tanaka thing goes through (I know it's a still kind of a longshot) that would put Hahn over the top for sure, just the fact he's bidding for the guy says his head is in the business of solely making this team better, IMHO.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
I vohopefully ot sure, I think it's too early to give him full approval until some of his acquisitions actually step foot on the field in Sox jerseys and perform. If some of them bust, then you are back to square one with some of your best trading chips gone.

Agreed. Otherwise the only thing he's done is GM a 99 loss team.

So far, the Sale move was awesome. Like really really awesome. The Areu move hopefully as much so. Signing Keppinger sucked. His bullpen moves have been aright. Historically speaking, his trading philosophy isn't going to look very good in all likelihood. Trading established major league talent for 1 prospect, the odds are stacked against you, but hey it can still work out. We just have to see.

I like what he's done so far. Of course if Davidson and Eaton are busts, things will look bad. I don't see that happening, though. Not to say both will be studs right away, but they have huge potential. Now, if Hahn somehow lands Tanaka, he should instantly be GM of the year.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:37 AM)
Seems kind of pointless, tbh. I don't think anyone disapproves of the job Hahn's done.

Trading established MLB pitching for prospects can lead to disaster. I wouldn't say disapprove but it's definitely risky. If these guys don't play well, you can really set a team back.

Ultimately, Hahn will be judged by playoff appearances and championships. But I like that he has a plan and there is a balance between helping the major league team and getting young players in a variety of ways. I think the second half of this decade could be very good for the Sox if they hit on some of these young players.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Trading established MLB pitching for prospects can lead to disaster. I wouldn't say disapprove but it's definitely risky. If these guys don't play well, you can really set a team back.

I agree with that, my philosophy is always trade pitching for pitching. The difference with Hahn is that he did trade for prospects that we control for a while instead of the aging veteran or one-year wonder like Todd Ritchie. Further, my approval for Hahn is also tied to the new CBA that has allowed Hahn or any other White Sox GM some additional options.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
Obviously I approve, but around here, popularity is an elevator ride. Even for World champion GMs

That is because every year you go to a new building and start at the bottom floor

I didn't necessarily mean that as a bad thing. I think he was a very good GM and that fact is being reflected in the current work of the FO. I also think that Hahn had much to do with the good run that KW had, so not all that much has changed. Their "new" roles may be bringing out the best in each one, as KW all but admitted that the stress of all the day-to-day tasks of the GM were getting to him and making it more difficult to make sound personnel decisions

I plan on doing one of these at midseason too, just to see if we're still there.

Anyways, the primary reason I started this was to, first and foremost, ignite discussion, but to see if there were any who weren't sure. There is plenty to doubt thus far, but it's the offseason and we're all filled with hope and ready for baseball, so I always wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it too.

Still, there is reason for doubt, and that's why I felt like doing this. Maybe I can create an additional poll for actual letter grades too, just to get a better picture (I'd give him an A).

I approve. I haven't loved every one one of his trades but when you look at the whole body of work, he clearly has a plan and I like the way he's going about things. And the Reed for Davidson deal is one of my favorite trades ever.

Edited by Rowand44