Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous to compare the BEST three months of Rizzo's career with the ONLY three months of Abreu's. Current performances may hold, or not. Abreu's OBP will likely go way up once pitchers realize that he has little protection behind him.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
but... but... I'm constantly told WAR is the ultimate stat to say who is good and who is bad.

Ironically the only people that ever say that are anti-SABR and have no idea what they're talking about. None of the people that have actually supported the work have ever claimed that.

It's like when college kids only watch the Daily Show and suddenly have really strong political opinions. That's what you're like right now.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
Ridiculous to compare the BEST three months of Rizzo's career with the ONLY three months of Abreu's. Current performances may hold, or not. Abreu's OBP will likely go way up once pitchers realize that he has little protection behind him.

Well, there are other factors too -- like the fact that Rizzo is much younger and thus could theoretically have more upside.

But who knows. I think the point is that you can make a very valid case that either one is the better player, and that fact is probably kind of surprising.

While we are discussing WAR, If you take Abreu's WAR per PA, and give Abreu the same amount of PA that Rizzo has, they are actually both at 2.8 WAR right now. And Abreu would be above Goldschmidt, and Encarnacion. At the very top would be Miggy, and then Abreu-Rizzo tied for 2nd.

But that's just one metric. I just thought it was worth noting.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
While we are discussing WAR, If you take Abreu's WAR per PA, and give Abreu the same amount of PA that Rizzo has, they are actually both at 2.8 WAR right now. And Abreu would be above Goldschmidt, and Encarnacion. At the very top would be Miggy, and then Abreu-Rizzo tied for 2nd.

But that's just one metric. I just thought it was worth noting.

It's a valid point.

I think the bottom line is that they are both very good 1B.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Earlier in the season, all of the Abreu comments here were "I can't wait until he hits in warm weather". I was one of these people. Is it me or is he keeping the same pace as April/beginning of May?

April/May .260/.312/.595, 11.5 AB/HR, 26k%, 5bb%

June .310/.352/.655, 10.5 AB/HR, 21k%, 6.5bb%

I'd say he's gotten better.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 05:51 AM)
Rizzo is turning into a STUD. Like a 6 WAR player given his elite D, solid baserunning and excellent patience and hit tool. That said, I think WAR under rates guys that put up 40+ HR in a year as it frees up other spots in your lineup for guys like Conor Gillaspie where their on base skills get to shine. There is something to be said for getting a lot of your power from only a few positions (so you can priotirze other things like defense or OBP or baserunning) and Jose certainly is a huge precense in the middle the lineup. If you surround him with OBP guys you're gonna see a lot of RBI. Oh, Hahn's done just that with Conor and Eaton. Good job Hahn.

Both Chicago 1B are awesome. Abreu's been everything the Sox could have asked for, and more. Rizzo's having a sensational season, as his stat line is up to 292/404/533.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
Both Chicago 1B are awesome. Abreu's been everything the Sox could have asked for, and more. Rizzo's having a sensational season, as his stat line is up to 292/404/533.

The new regime of Abreu and Rizzo in Chicago isn't that far off from the Konerko and Derek Lee days of the mid-2000s.

The new regime of Abreu and Rizzo in Chicago isn't that far off from the Konerko and Derek Lee days of the mid-2000s.

If Abreu and Rizzo don't blow Konerko and Lee out of the water in their primes, then both teams will be very disappointed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
If Abreu and Rizzo don't blow Konerko and Lee out of the water in their primes, then both teams will be very disappointed.

I don't think you quite realize how good the top years of those 2 players were.

Paulie's 3 best OPS+ years were 160, 141 and 136. I expect Abreu to top those.

DLee's 3 best OPS+ years were 174, 146 and 131. I expect Rizzo to top those.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)

If Abreu or Rizzo blows away what Konerko did, I will be really f***ing impressed. Paul Konerko has something like 440 HRs and 1500 RBI for his career. He hit over 40 homers at least a couple of times, plus hit 30 or more probably another half of a dozen times.

In this day and age? Those are probably HOF numbers.

If Abreu or Rizzo blows away what Konerko did, I will be really f***ing impressed. Paul Konerko has something like 440 HRs and 1500 RBI for his career. He hit over 40 homers at least a couple of times, plus hit 30 or more probably another half of a dozen times.

In this day and age? Those are probably HOF numbers.

Note that I said "in their primes." Longevity is another issue, but both Konerko and Lee only had one season with an OPS+ over 150. I expect Abreu to have several of those and probably Rizzo also (though I admittedly pay much less attention to him). Now, Paulie had 12 seasons with an OPS+ over 110 and that is a lot to ask of any player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)

Abreu is as good right now, as a rookie, as Konerko ever was and pretty close to what Lee was at their respective peaks. Abreu currently has a 149 wRC+. Konerko only had one season that high or better (158 in 2010) and Derrek Lee only had two such seasons (170 in 2005, 150 in 2009).

If you want to look at WAR, Abreu is on pace for about 5.3 fWAR this season. Konerko's career highs were 3.7 in 2005 and 3.6 in 2010. Derrek Lee's career highs were 6.8 in 2005 and 5.3 in 2009 with no other season over 4.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Abreu is as good right now, as a rookie, as Konerko ever was and pretty close to what Lee was at their respective peaks. Abreu currently has a 149 wRC+. Konerko only had one season that high or better (158 in 2010) and Derrek Lee only had two such seasons (170 in 2005, 150 in 2009).

If you want to look at WAR, Abreu is on pace for about 5.3 fWAR this season. Konerko's career highs were 3.7 in 2005 and 3.6 in 2010. Derrek Lee's career highs were 6.8 in 2005 and 5.3 in 2009 with no other season over 4.

That surprises me, I figured he would have approached that in 03 when the Marlins took out the Cubs, he was great

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)

He's also played 1/3 of a season effectively. Konerko did his damage for a decade and a half.