Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: walks, those don't have to be at the expense of the hits. He looks to be doing a better job of recognizing when he's being pitched around, though, which is key. I think he'll walk an adequate amount ultimately.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
Re: walks, those don't have to be at the expense of the hits. He looks to be doing a better job of recognizing when he's being pitched around, though, which is key. I think he'll walk an adequate amount ultimately.

Except he really can hit the balls out of the zone. His two run double tonight was out of the zone.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)

Damn, I just posted pretty much the same at Baseball Think Factory. He def needs to learn when guys are going around him and IMO he's doing a better job of it, we saw it tonight when he took his walk.

The thing I love about Jose is that he's the anti-Votto. Frank was an OBP machine, much like Votto, but with Frank it was never at the expense of ripping his pitches for extra base hits. Jose seems to be the same way. He'll learn to take his walks, but he's never going to be a guy that goes deep in the count just to go deep in the count (a troubling trend throughout baseball imo).

Some guys are just amazingly talented hitters like Frank and Jose and it stands in stark contrast to the Viciedos and Beckhams of the world that while both those guys pretty much have the same weaknesses after years in MLB (Gordon can't pull the ball for power or catch up to high heat; Viciedo has no patience and zero ability to recognize pitches fast enough to square up) Jose pretty much has fixed his big weakness (junk away) in a few months.

It's freaking amazing and we as Sox fans are lucky to get to watch him hit at a high level for the next 5+ years barring injury, which knock on wood, so far, he doesn't seem prone to.

This team is really set up well foundationaly, they need to spend some money this offseason and start going for it. They are a few pieces away and if their offseason is as good as 2013 then they are right there imo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
Damn, I just posted pretty much the same at Baseball Think Factory. He def needs to learn when guys are going around him and IMO he's doing a better job of it, we saw it tonight when he took his walk.

The thing I love about Jose is that he's the anti-Votto. Frank was an OBP machine, much like Votto, but with Frank it was never at the expense of ripping his pitches for extra base hits. Jose seems to be the same way. He'll learn to take his walks, but he's never going to be a guy that goes deep in the count just to go deep in the count (a troubling trend throughout baseball imo).

Some guys are just amazingly talented hitters like Frank and Jose and it stands in stark contrast to the Viciedos and Beckhams of the world that while both those guys pretty much have the same weaknesses after years in MLB (Gordon can't pull the ball for power or catch up to high heat; Viciedo has no patience and zero ability to recognize pitches fast enough to square up) Jose pretty much has fixed his big weakness (junk away) in a few months.

It's freaking amazing and we as Sox fans are lucky to get to watch him hit at a high level for the next 5+ years barring injury, which knock on wood, so far, he doesn't seem prone to.

This team is really set up well foundationaly, they need to spend some money this offseason and start going for it. They are a few pieces away and if their offseason is as good as 2013 then they are right there imo.

Excellence in posting.

I remember right after we signed him seeing (maybe on this forum?) reference to a quote from a scout or someone saying he was the best pure hitter on the planet right now. I was just excited to think he was good enough to warrant such over the top hype but am now second guessing just how over the top it was.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
"Abreu's good but he doesn't hit for average."

He's hitting .299

"He has to walk more"

Why should he walk more with a 299/31/83 power line

"He sucks at fielding"

7th in baseball for 1st base fld%

Not putting any stock in fielding percentage, but he passes the eye test and is definitely not hurting us defensively. You can see him spackling holes in his game as the season goes on, just like at the plate.

And for advanced numbers, he's 4th of 9 qualified AL first basemen in UZR. Seems about right.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 05:49 AM)
I remember right after we signed him seeing (maybe on this forum?) reference to a quote from a scout or someone saying he was the best pure hitter on the planet right now. I was just excited to think he was good enough to warrant such over the top hype but am now second guessing just how over the top it was.

There is a guy who extrapolates statistics from the Cuban League to the Major Leagues and his numbers were comparable to Miguel Cabrera's numbers. I think we all sort of held that out as a lofty best case scenario (probably even we expected that was going a bit overboard).

As of today, he is outperforming Miguel Cabrera with about 40 less PAs.

Unf***ingbelievable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
There is a guy who extrapolates statistics from the Cuban League to the Major Leagues and his numbers were comparable to Miguel Cabrera's numbers. I think we all sort of held that out as a lofty best case scenario (probably even we expected that was going a bit overboard).

Unf***ingbelievable.

Yeah, I will admit I though those projections were insane.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Comparing Abreu to Cabrera is apples to oranges. Cabrera actually has lineup protection behind him.

Lineup protection is a myth unless you're hitting in front of Barry Bonds.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Lineup protection is a myth unless you're hitting in front of Barry Bonds.

I will say the changes in Miguel Cabrera are interesting, since he was brought up. He had by far his best power years with Prince hitting behind him. Prince left, and he is having his worst year in half of a decade.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)

Unf***ingbelievable.

I hope you have his email or know what site he writes for..... I would LOVE to read more of

his stuff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I will say the changes in Miguel Cabrera are interesting, since he was brought up. He had by far his best power years with Prince hitting behind him. Prince left, and he is having his worst year in half of a decade.

He's also 31 and is on pace for 54 doubles. He was also injured and surgically repaired last year after the playoffs (though done arthroscopically). And, frankly, he's still having a great year at the plate.

Victor Martinez is having a better season than Prince ever had in Detroit, so there is still "protection" there. Miggy's home runs increased with Prince behind him, but his OPS was lower and he slugged higher in 2010 than 2012, so it wasn't that dramatic of a change with Prince.

Detroit says it's due to his offseason surgery

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
I hope you have his email or know what site he writes for..... I would LOVE to read more of

his stuff.

Here is probably the most in-depth article, and it has a lot of links and info from other sources of information as well.