White Sox @ Tigers - WCIU 6:08 PM

Hawkfan

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
It's cool that we have a new Matt The Bullpen Guy Who Everyone Abuses Constantly Despite His Statistical Decency so soon after Thornton left.

What numbers are you looking at that makes him look decent? He's blown 3 saves, his WHIP sucks, and his K rate is terrible.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2961894:date=Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:17 PM:name=Feeky Magee)-->
QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
<!--quotec-->It's cool that we have a new Matt The Bullpen Guy Who Everyone Abuses Constantly Despite His Statistical Decency so soon after Thornton left.

What numbers are you looking at that makes him look decent? He's blown 3 saves, his WHIP sucks, and his K rate is terrible.

Well, I was more talking about his last few years, but if we're talking about the year, he's not been great, but he's not been awful either. Hasn't walked many. Very low sample-size to be reading too much into. Plus he's coming off an injury.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:22 PM)
Forgive me, what's FIP?

Fielding independent pitching. It attempts to show what an ERA should look like over a period of time. Accounts for guys with artificially low/high ERAs because of bad/good luck that they don't control. It's a better predictor of future performance than ERA. Fangraphs uses it over ERA to calculate pitcher WAR.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Matty Ice era down to 3.00.

His FIP (Whatever that it, I just wanna feel cool) is 3.08....Much lower than Daniel Webbs 4.48.

It was actually 3.08 before tonight. Now 3.41.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:22 PM)
Forgive me, what's FIP?

Fielding Independent Pitching. It takes Ks, BBs, HBPs, and HRs into account, four things that pitchers have almost total control over. It basically assumes that over small sample sizes, there's too much luck involved and that the pitcher does not have total control over where the ball is hit. Therefore, runs that aren't home runs are not counted against the pitcher. While ERAs may vary year in and year out, FIPs usually stay fairly constant for any given player.

There are outliers in the stat (Javy Vazquez and Ricky Nolasco are two examples), but usually, it's pretty accurate in giving a snapshot of a pitcher's true talent.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
Well, I was more talking about his last few years, but if we're talking about the year, he's not been great, but he's not been awful either. Hasn't walked many. Very low sample-size to be reading too much into. Plus he's coming off an injury.

Fielding independent pitching. It attempts to show what an ERA should look like over a period of time. Accounts for guys with artificially low/high ERAs because of bad/good luck that they don't control. It's a better predictor of future performance than ERA. Fangraphs uses it over ERA to calculate pitcher WAR.

It was actually 3.08 before tonight. Now 3.41.

What's the better stat, FIP or xFIP?

Also, we couldn't even get a lottery ticket prospect for Lindstrom last year. I'm not saying he's a horrible reliever, but he's not a closer and that's not just based on his performance so far this year.