On scheduling killing the Cubs/Sox series

Buehrle>Wood

Really wish the series was pushed out to late June/early July. No casual sports fans care about this series with the Hawks going on and playing Tuesday and Thursday. I really wish they would re-work interleague play in general to make it more balanced.

Year 1:

ALC vs NLC

ALE vs NLE

ALW vs NLW

Year 2:

ALC vs NLE

ALE vs. NLW

ALW vs. NLC

Year 3:

ALC vs NLW

ALE vs NLC

ALW vs NLE

and then go forward like that. Each team plays each team in the other division home and away. Makes it more fair for each team in the division to play the same teams out of the division the same amount of times each year. Reduce the amount of games you play against each team in your own division and it becomes more balanced.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
One of my greatest moments was at Wrigley with 2 Cubs fans and another Sox fan to even it out, with 2 outs in the 9th. Cubs fans standing and cheering, Dempster closing, AJP at the plate....you can put it on the board, Sox lead. Not only did the Sox take the lead, but it was AJ who did it. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Ah, this game was perhaps the crescendo of the entire history of Cubs vs. Sox. The stoppage in play that happened shortly after courtesy of Cubs fans "cherishing" their ballpark pretty much finished this rivalry in my eyes, in favor of the Sox. I was waiting for it to show up in any of the various 100 Most Memorable Wrigley Moments lists because while not a proud moment for the Cubs, I think it was pretty significant, but no such luck.

Having said that, I enjoy catching a handful of games at Wrigley in any given season. I've come to love the park, and I enjoy being able to watch NL baseball in the same city as a change of pace. They're not my NL rooting interest, and I could do without them winning a World Series anytime soon, but I don't sit here hoping for 120 loss seasons.

I absolutely can't stand the season-long interleague format. I hope it goes away, along with the extra Wild Card that came with it. It was fine the way it was.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Yeah I bet. I can't relate to how terrible a human being you have to be to try and start a fight at a game over some macho team pride BS.

The one time I went to a Cubs-Sox game (at the Cell, either '08 or '09), I saw two fights, three people get ejected and someone throw up all over the group in front of them. Classy.

They should play 6 games. Not because of a "rivalry". Just because they're close in proximity.

Make at least one of the series a weekend. That adds more juice.

And once every 10-20 years, play on opening day or end the season with a 3-game series. That would add some variety to the head-to-head.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
They should play 6 games. Not because of a "rivalry". Just because they're close in proximity.

Make at least one of the series a weekend. That adds more juice.

And once every 10-20 years, play on opening day or end the season with a 3-game series. That would add some variety to the head-to-head.

Man I could see a game like this being played at the end of season where a team could play spoiler. You could probably really see some tempers flare.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Yeah I bet. I can't relate to how terrible a human being you have to be to try and start a fight at a game over some macho team pride BS.

Go to a Bears packers game, it's even worse. It was so bad I stopped going to those and sold my tickets for them.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Go to a Bears packers game, it's even worse. It was so bad I stopped going to those and sold my tickets for them.

I am not surprised by this at all. A close friend from highschool is a Packers fan and he gives me s*** every time they play, knowing I could care less about football.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)

Bears fans are awful. I went to Bears Rams game in STL last November, and was so embarrassed at how terrible the Bears fans were being to everyone. Fights were being picked left and right.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Wednesday and Thursday temps supposed to be in the 80s... Hopefully people turn out

Thursday supposed to be crazy storms. Not sure a game will be played.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
This is the result of them making interleague a normal thing, as opposed to twice a year. It sucks that the series was marginalized, it really is/was a lot of fun

I agree. Interleague play was supposed to be a special moment in the schedule but now we have it all year. I wouldn't be against them reigning it in a bit. I am really not a big fan of the idea of NL and AZL interleague play. It is special though when the Sox beat up on the Cubs

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Thursday supposed to be crazy storms. Not sure a game will be played.

With the NFL Draft Thursday and the Blackhawks potentially sweeping the Wild that night, it could be rough attendance wise. I won't even have the baseball game on tv on Thursday.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Katy Feeney was on the Score this morning. She sounds like a pleasure.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/986-670-...-interviews#986

Sox and Cubs will play 3/3 next year when it's AL Central vs NL Central.

She was combative from the time she said hello. And then she accused M&H of being argumentative.

The Sox should play the Cubs 6 games and the Brewers 3 games every year. When you have two teams within 100 miles, you should play them. Interleague play should be used to stay as local as possible. But the league schedule should be balanced and divisions should be eliminated.