Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba 1m

Here's how volatile this #mlbdraft is: team in top 5 may switch gears in a big way, here 2 hours prior to start. Chaotic first round

WHAT DO YOU MEAN JOHN MANUEL??? TELL US YOUR SECRETS!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
Yes! Im totally on the fence when trying to choose between Rodon, Nola or Kolek. f*** it, just draft Jackson. :lol:

I will be thrilled with Aiken, very happy with Jackson or Rodon, and happy with Nola or Kolek.

Not really any outcome where they aren't getting a very good prospect but some are a little more exciting than others.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Maybe this...?

Houston takes Aiken, Miami takes Rodon and the Sox say screw Nola/ Kolek and draft Jackson.

The Sox will not take a position player.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Litigator (Chicago): Keith Law said today that the White Sox have moved off of Kolek, and will take Nola instead. He has Kolek dropping to #8. Why? Kolek seemed like a great choice at #3 to me.

Draft Day Chat with Nick J. Faleris: Kolek's body and velocity kept him on short lists as someone the teams up top absolutely needed to keep tabs on, but once that short list gets paired down it's easy to see why Kolek might get dropped in favor of a less risky proposition. Kolek is 11th on my board, and that's a result of him being highly underdeveloped, showing secondaries that at present fair often play below average, below average command, almost no track record (didn't play on the scouting circuit and had minimal exposure to the rest of the high-profile HS talent in the class), and highly overmatched spring competition (which could essentially be dominated by erratic fastballs).

He's a great prospect, and really interesting from a developmental standpoint. But it's more of a $3 MM investment profile for me than $4.5 or 5.5 M

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=1165

LOL at the money aspect again.

Hawk was going on about that again last night too.

No matter who you pick at #3 and give $5M+ to, you're still paying Jeff Keppinger more money than that to sit at home and slap his pickle around.

Perspective.

Don't be a-scared. Buy a dog if you're a-scared.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
I will be thrilled with Aiken, very happy with Jackson or Rodon, and happy with Nola or Kolek.

Not really any outcome where they aren't getting a very good prospect but some are a little more exciting than others.

At this point its hard to go wrong, dare I say even the cubs would have a difficult time f***ing this up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
I mean, if I was going to guess any switching things up I'd bet it's the cubs.

Not sure who he was talking about but it's not the Sox. They'll be taking one of those 4 pitchers, no doubt.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
Not sure who he was talking about but it's not the Sox. They'll be taking one of those 4 pitchers, no doubt.

Right, no doubt it's not the sox, but I'd doubt it's Marlins or Astros. He'd probably say top 3 if it was.

I mean, maybe twins, after months of us hearing Gordon, are now looking at someone else.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
LOL at the money aspect again.

Hawk was going on about that again last night too.

No matter who you pick at #3 and give $5M+ to, you're still paying Jeff Keppinger more money than that to sit at home and slap his pickle around.

Perspective.

Don't be a-scared. Buy a dog if you're a-scared.

Any time a business invests money it has to do a cost/benefit analysis. This is the second analyst in the last two days that has said Kolek is worth about a $3M-$4M investment, thats not being "a-scared" its managing risk and utilizing your resources in a smart way. It seems that the Sox have come to the conclusion there is a better way to spend their money. Or this could all be smokescreen to try and muck things up for the Cubs and drive down the asking price of the guy they want.

Via Crawford's chat:

Comment From Brian:

IF Rodon falls to the White Sox at 3, do they take him? Or is Boras still an issue with them?

Chris Crawford: Not sure if it’s entirely Boras, but they don’t appear to be in on him at this point.

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/06/live-ml...t-chat-400-est/

Edited by DirtySox