**Official Wild Card Games Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
I'm fairly certain Hammel is going to blow it here and it'll create a storyline of how Beane's trades were bad...

And he does...lol

Just like you knew Frasor would give up the lead against Callaspo.

Destiny type of thing.

Ever since the 10 game winning streak in July/August.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
Amazing game.

What a disaster for the A's.

They acquire an ace prematurely for their cleanup hitter thinking they had already won the division in July...only to fall out of contention because of their lack of offense. Then their ace more or less gives up a 4 run lead in a their only playoff game and they end up with nothing.

It sucks to be an Oakland fan right now.

Moore/Yost and Beane/Melvin changed places from goats/geniuses in the span of an hour or so.

You almost have to feel a bit sorry for A's fans. They really mortgaged their future trading Cespedes and their future starting SS. Is their owner going to have the willpower to replace Lester and find a starting SS AND a bat to replace Cespedes (which was critical when Donaldson and Moss slumped and Dunn wasn't enough to stop the bleeding).

Alexei Ramirez would make a lot of sense as an acquisition target for Beane.

Edited by caulfield12

Cespedes isn't that good. This loss isn't about losing Cespedes. It's about having a team built on a lot of iffy parts and those iffy foundations crumbling down the stretch. When it came down to it, they're a fortunate bounce of a ball away potentially making a run in a playoff series.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
Cespedes isn't that good. This loss isn't about losing Cespedes. It's about having a team built on a lot of iffy parts and those iffy foundations crumbling down the stretch. When it came down to it, they're a fortunate bounce of a ball away potentially making a run in a playoff series.

But that's what the A's and Twins have been saying for nearly a generation of fans.

In the end, they're not getting it done when it counts. Gardenhire was just fired despite being a manager who led his team to 6 titles in 9 years.

When you have Jon Lester retiring 12 or so hitters in a row, a 7-3 lead, and one of the best bullpens in the majors...you just have ZERO excuse for not closing that game out.

The Royals were shell-shocked and back on their heels. Herrera wasn't even his normal self coming in with a two run deficit.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)

Right, he's a 110 wRC+ type of player. But on an Oakland team that was basically built around Brandon Moss and Donaldson after Cespedes departed, the crumbling got a hell of a lot worse. At the very least, you know what Cespedes will give you.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)
Right, he's a 110 wRC+ type of player. But on an Oakland team that was basically built around Brandon Moss and Donaldson after Cespedes departed, the crumbling got a hell of a lot worse. At the very least, you know what Cespedes will give you.

He's also a game-changer defensively with his arm...you can't discount that part of his game, especially in LF, where most corner guys are noodle armed.

http://blog.sfgate.com/johnshea/2014/09/30...dunn-in-lineup/

Poor Adam Dunn.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...errible-manager

Yost ripped to shreds for using Ventura over Herrera/Finnegan in the 6th.

The Oakland A’s wrestled with the Kansas City Royals in extra innings Tuesday night, delivering an instant postseason classic in the process.

In the end, the upstart Royals overcame in the bottom of the 12th, winning the game with one last unlikely hit, from KC catcher Salvador Perez. The final score was 9-8.

But the storyline was epic.

It was a lengthy and painful loss for the A’s. And it was also a postseason gem: A game that A’s fans will never forget. And one that KC fans will always cherish.

Early on, A’s starter Jon Lester came out strong, but proved fallible, giving up three early runs. Kansas City starter James Shields came out even stronger, only to fall prey to an early hook from Kansas City manager Ned Yost.

Back and forth it went, with extra weight on the endeavor. If the A’s lost tonight, their GM Billy Beane would be forever ridiculed for trading slugger Yoenis Cespedes for Lester at the trade deadline. If KC lost, 28 years of postseason waiting would be squandered.

On the A’s side, Lester did well enough. And long-struggling A’s slugger Brandon Moss hit two home runs to put the A’s in the lead for most of the game.

On the Royals’ side, manager Ned Yost almost wore the goat horns, after pulling starter Shields early, only to have his reliever give up Moss’ second HR.

Neither team would give up in extra innings.

It felt like the Royals simply had fate on their side. They finally pushed through in the 12th. The Royals now go on to play the Anaheim Angels in the AL divisional playoffs.

The A’s go home to a very long winter, contemplating what may have been. At one point. the A’s were the best team in baseball this summer. Then, GM Billy Beane traded slugger Yoenis Cespedes for pitcher Jon Lester, hoping to win a one-game playoff in the postseason.

Simply put: The gamble did not pay off. Beane will have to answer for that.

sfgate.com/saracevic

Edited by caulfield12

Great game, wow the Royals have some guys who can run.

So many potential goats (Yost, Salvy, Butler getting picked off, etc) but so many heros in the end. Colon made contact on the little chopper to third, scoring the run. Hosmer blasted that ball off the wall late and those other hits he had; Salvy with the game winning poke past third, Finnegan, Aoki actually elevating and hitting the sac fly.

However ... Yost. My gosh what a dumb move bringing in Ventura. Overthinking it. You don't bring in a starter who is young and wild in that situation. I can't believe managers do that sometimes in the postseason. Geezus you don't change roles this late in the game. Thank god Ozzie let the players decide it in 2005.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd have first of all left Big Game James in, which might have turned out a bad decision since he had a pretty lousy game. IF I had to take James out, I'd start the pathetic parade of lefty/righty crap and brought in a lefty. However, that would have used up Finnegan early.

It turned out OK for Ned and the Royals, considering almost the entire roster played and so many guys ended up contributing.

Paulie said on Mike and Mike the winner of this game would represent in the World Series. I still like Baltimore.

OH and by the way this was a victory for Hawk.

Sabermetric Beane loses to old school, Mr. Bunt, Ned. Take that, Sabes.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:18 AM)

So many potential goats (Yost, Salvy, Butler getting picked off, etc) but so many heros in the end. Colon made contact on the little chopper to third, scoring the run. Hosmer blasted that ball off the wall late and those other hits he had; Salvy with the game winning poke past third, Finnegan, Aoki actually elevating and hitting the sac fly.

However ... Yost. My gosh what a dumb move bringing in Ventura. Overthinking it. You don't bring in a starter who is young and wild in that situation. I can't believe managers do that sometimes in the postseason. Geezus you don't change roles this late in the game. Thank god Ozzie let the players decide it in 2005.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd have first of all left Big Game James in, which might have turned out a bad decision since he had a pretty lousy game. IF I had to take James out, I'd start the pathetic parade of lefty/righty crap and brought in a lefty. However, that would have used up Finnegan early.

It turned out OK for Ned and the Royals, considering almost the entire roster played and so many guys ended up contributing.

Paulie said on Mike and Mike the winner of this game would represent in the World Series. I still like Baltimore.

Yost declared the victor due to old school and the loser due to dumb

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:40 AM)
Ned Yost is a f***ing idiot that lucked into a win.

This. Both managers tried really hard to give it away. I have no idea why Melvin left Lester out there in the 8th at all - it's do or die, go to your talented bullpen.

As for Yost, new sig.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:18 AM)

Except the Royals didn't score because of bunts...?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
Shhh

They did run a whole lot though. It was one awesome game though. Great to see Royals advance. They are playing the Angels, who I'll be pulling for, but if the Angels lose to KC, I hope the Royals win the whole thing. Great for KC.