Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Milb take on what package required for acquiring samardzija and cole hamels.

http://m.milb.com/news/article/20141208103419720/

"White Sox: Micah Johnson, Trey Michalczewski, Nolan Sanburn"

I think I would be OK with that deal considering I do not think Hahn would acquire Shark unless he was very confident in resigning him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm all for a guy like Shark but not for 1 year. Giving up 2 decent prospects is like 10 yrs or more of control for 1 yr. and JS would have to be extremely good to outproduce productive bench players who might even eventually be starters that you control for a much longer period of time and McCarthy.

Decent prospects don't typically amount to much in the MLB. I really haven't seen anything that really makes me think the sox will miss Semien or Sanchez compared to a proven MLB pitcher. They could be decent bench players or a starter in the Beckham mold, but I think those players would be worth the chance of getting JS long term.

Besides as I've said I think Rameirez is going to be the center piece of any trade. The A's really don't need Semien or Sanchez. They have better utility/borderline starting prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
But of course, just signing James Shields for comparable money while holding Alexei makes us even better than that.

Right but I'd rather have Samardzija than Shields at this point. Shields is 33 years old and will be getting a 5 year deal. No thanks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Well I don't :P

But really, I just want it resolved so we can figure out how the A's take way too much from the White Sox again while they seemingly give away guys like Donaldson and Moss to the opposition for jacksquat.

Quality starting pitching is a premium.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
But of course, just signing James Shields for comparable money while holding Alexei makes us even better than that.

Maybe Hahn and the White Sox just like Shark more long term than the current free agents and the prices they are going at? Crazy idea I know.

Let's say Shark signs a 5 year 110 million dollar deal with us, the Lester bidding is going into the 7th year and 150 million plus and god knows what Scherzer is going to get. I haven't heard much about Shields admittedly.

Edited by southside hitman

Signing Shields (or Lester or Scherzer) may not be an option for the Sox. Those players have a choice in where they will play. A trade means Shark is guaranteed to be here at least a year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Well I don't :P

But really, I just want it resolved so we can figure out how the A's take way too much from the White Sox again while they seemingly give away guys like Donaldson and Moss to the opposition for jacksquat.

Hey if the Sox do lose Semien ,which you would be upset about ,how would you feel if the Sox re-signed Gordon Beckham as Semien's replacemnt ? After all Gordon hit lefties for a .293 BA last year and might even play a better 3rd base than Marcus :P

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
"White Sox: Micah Johnson, Trey Michalczewski, Nolan Sanburn"

I think I would be OK with that deal considering I do not think Hahn would acquire Shark unless he was very confident in resigning him.

Sounds like Sox are going to overpay to get this guy. Dumb.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Hey if the Sox do lose Semien ,which you would be upset about ,how would you feel if the Sox re-signed Gordon Beckham as Semien's replacemnt ? After all Gordon hit lefties for a .293 BA last year and might even play a better 3rd base than Marcus :P

The Beckham ship mercifully has sailed away from the South Side.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Decent prospects don't typically amount to much in the MLB. I really haven't seen anything that really makes me think the sox will miss Semien or Sanchez compared to a proven MLB pitcher. They could be decent bench players or a starter in the Beckham mold, but I think those players would be worth the chance of getting JS long term.

Besides as I've said I think Rameirez is going to be the center piece of any trade. The A's really don't need Semien or Sanchez. They have better utility/borderline starting prospects.

Really the only place we are differing is I don't think the Sox get Shark long term. Guess we'll have to wait how it all plays out. Again.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
Tim Anderson ‏@TimAnderson7 22s23 seconds ago

I Was Taught To Be a Man, Stand On My Two Feet Like a Man. #Ready4unexpected

f***

I wouldn't look too much into this. I bet it means nothing. Probably just lyrics to a song he likes or something like that.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Really the only place we are differing is I don't think the Sox get Shark long term. Guess we'll have to wait how it all plays out. Again.

That is the fun of the off season. No matter what the deals is 1/2 of soxtalk will like it. The other half will complain. There will be an entire thread of justifications on each side. :cheers