Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:17 AM)
Headley is just too expensive for the expected upgrade, and getting older.

I'm sure they made the same determination on Sandoval.

LF is another issue, though. We can obviously state ad infinitum we'd LOVE for 3B, 2B and C to be sure things, but no team has that certainty top to bottom through their 25 man roster.

I think we add one more bat and maybe another pitcher and we will be set for the year. There will be a couple holes but every team has those.

Eaton

Ramirez

Abreu

LaRoche

Garcia

Hitter

Gillaspie

Flowers

Johnson/Sanchez

Looks really good if Gillaspie hits over .280 and continues to improve and Garcia is at full strength

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:15 AM)
I swear, some of you simply can't be happy with any deal.

They just got a top of the rotation pitcher for 2 unknowns that made it to the majors and had a small amount of "success" if you could even call it that.

Beck and Danish will make most forgot the prospects of Bassitt in a short time.

I'm fine with the deal. I hate to lose Semien and I'm not a huge fan of Shark, especially as a rental, but I see the logic. It definitely makes us better next year, even though I still think we're a long way away.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)
Let's not forget they'll probably try and sign Masterson too

You can't spend $8-10 million on Masterson and also address LF via FA...unless you make a trade involving Ramirez (not going to happen now) or Anderson/Montas/Danish/Hawkins.

Maybe, just maybe, they trade Danks for Ethier and then replace Danks with Masterson/B.Anderson in the rotation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:23 AM)
You can't spend $8-10 million on Masterson and also address LF via FA...unless you make a trade involving Ramirez (not going to happen now) or Anderson/Montas/Danish/Hawkins.

Maybe, just maybe, they trade Danks for Ethier and then replace Danks with Masterson/B.Anderson in the rotation.

I think bucket said it a few pages ago but it doesnt sound like they'll go the FA route with LF so your scenario would make sense.

I think Jerry loosened the pursestrings a lot more than any of us realize, and since every rumor is apparently plausible don't rule out Danks leaving.

I thought the Sox connection to Robertson was complete horses***, now can I really say the same about the Scherzer rumor? Or Upton? Or Jay Bruce? The theme of this offseason so far has been think big. Masterson doesn't fit that theme.

I think bucket said it a few pages ago but it doesnt sound like they'll go the FA route with LF so your scenario would make sense.

Bucket said they were more likely to go trade than FA. I think it's oobvious the upper echelon of the Sox farm system is being left entirely in tact after the Shark trade.

Alexei is going nowhere. They are going with the proven guy at short (and they should).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
Anyone can LOOK like a #3 starter in Oakland...even Kazmir, Jessie Chavez, Straily and Millone.

Thanks to WAR, FIP and SIERA, you could tell if that pitcher is a #3 on other teams.

Personally, I think Bassitt has a chance to be a good #4/5 starter on any team. Take into account that he will be dirt cheap the next 4 years or so, it makes the deal less attractive. I'd still do it because we are in all in mode though.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
Yup. Danks and Dayan are gonna be the focal points.

Who wants to spend $18 million on those two?

I guess they needed Dayan as "insurance," but let's hope it's just an expensive insurance policy.

Rival executives believe pitchers such as Ervin Santana, Francisco Liriano and Brandon McCarthy are waiting to see how Lester’s choice alters the terrain. Until then, the Royals will continue to be active, if unable to display much progress. The team met with agents for Melky Cabrera on Monday night. Their list of other candidates includes players such as Kendrys Morales and Alex Rios. ESPN connected the club with Colby Rasmus. At 28, Rasmus displays both All-Star talent and a brittle frame that has been incapable of handling a full big-league season. He posted a .748 OPS and averaged 124 games a season the last three years in Toronto.

Asked whether the free-agent market or trade market was more plentiful with hitters, Moore said, “"It'’s not very good either way.”"

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:32 AM)
Thanks to WAR, FIP and SIERA, you could tell if that pitcher is a #3 on other teams.

Personally, I think Bassitt has a chance to be a good #4/5 starter on any team. Take into account that he will be dirt cheap the next 4 years or so, it makes the deal less attractive. I'd still do it because we are in all in mode though.

You could say the same thing about Noesi, Beck or Erik Johnson. To produce those results consistently is the question, and with all the pressure of facing the Angels, Mariners and Rangers/Astros teams with a ton of young talent.

There's a razor-thin line between Phil Humber/Lucas Harrell and being out of baseball.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
I think we add one more bat and maybe another pitcher and we will be set for the year. There will be a couple holes but every team has those.

Eaton

Ramirez

Abreu

LaRoche

Garcia

Hitter

Gillaspie

Flowers

Johnson/Sanchez

Looks really good if Gillaspie hits over .280 and continues to improve and Garcia is at full strength

More realistically it looks poor with Alexei's .300 OBP in the 2 hole, Avi is still a massive question mark, Gillaspie and Flowers are both unlikely to repeat their BABIP marks from this season and are therefore regression candidates (and Gillaspie is terrible vs. LHP), 2B will likely be a significantly below average bat. At the very least, a big COF bat is needed.

Still a lot of work needed to make this team a true contender I feel. I'm sure Hahn has plenty of plans though and if Dayan if the opening day LF then something clearly went very, very wrong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:36 AM)
You could say the same thing about Noesi, Beck or Erik Johnson. To produce those results consistently is the question, and with all the pressure of facing the Angels, Mariners and Rangers/Astros teams with a ton of young talent.

There's a razor-thin line between Phil Humber/Lucas Harrell and being out of baseball.

LOL. Didn't you just say it's so easy to pitch in Oakland that Kazmir, Chavez, Straily could look like #3 starters?

Noesi, maybe. Don't know how many years of team control he has. Bassitt flashed more promise than Beck thus far. EJ is a disaster. He would have to work his way back up to the majors next year.

This is important to remember. Last year Erik Johnson was THE guy we were counting on, now he's selling burnt CD-R's of Wilson Phillips albums out of a van in Barstow CA. Bassitt was this year's guy. I'd put good money on Beck being next year's guy. The Sox wised up to these late season revelations and are gonna start selling high on them.

Imagine if we sent Johnson instead of Santiago for Eaton last year? We would've hated it then, but been happier now. I have a feelifeeling this plays out very similarly.

Also, the A's rotation is still loaded beyond capacity so we'll probably see Bassitt in the pen for Oakland.

MLBTR via Susan Slusser says Semien, Bassit, and TBD.

Beane must like Semien a lot, otherwise he just traded Addison Russel for half a season of Samardzija, Hammel, Semien, and Chris Bassit.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:46 AM)
This is important to remember. Last year Erik Johnson was THE guy we were counting on, now he's selling burnt CD-R's of Wilson Phillips albums out of a van in Barstow CA. Bassitt was this year's guy. I'd put good money on Beck being next year's guy. The Sox wised up to these late season revelations and are gonna start selling high on them.

Imagine if we sent Johnson instead of Santiago for Eaton last year? We would've hated it then, but been happier now. I have a feelifeeling this plays out very similarly.

Also, the A's rotation is still loaded beyond capacity so we'll probably see Bassitt in the pen for Oakland.

I'd hate it too if it was Erik Johnson tossed into the deal instead of Bassitt, had he not fallen off the face of the earth. But he did, and he doesn't have the same value as he did before. Bassitt didn't have that breakdown, he's valuable until proven otherwise.

Beck and Bassitt are very different pitchers, check scouting reports. Just because Bassitt accomplished something does not mean Beck would be able to. I wouldn't sweat losing a guy who couldn't strikeout more than 5 batters per 9 innings in AA.

well that trade finally happen, i have been watching and waiting, biting my nails.

i still think it is alot, but i am selfish fan.

loosing Bassitt does hurt at least for me as a fan. however i rather have a trip

to the playoff. Det still looks tough with their SP's and if JS doesn't resign, at least

the sox gets a comp.

at least Anderson and Montas wasn't touch.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
MLBTR via Susan Slusser says Semien, Bassit, and TBD.

Beane must like Semien a lot, otherwise he just traded Addison Russel for half a season of Samardzija, Hammel, Semien, and Chris Bassit.

Plus, McKinney's a Top 10 organizational piece and Straily MIGHT end up as a 5th starter or long man out of the pen.