The Winter/Spring Weather Complaint Thread

knightni

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, not necessarily winter, but can you all remember a more crazy group of events to affect a commute in a single morning?

Plane hits house in midway, Fire at a school shuts down all northbound trains (red/brown/purple), bus fire shuts down LSD south, and the travel times were at 1.5 hrs getting through almost every highway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
So, not necessarily winter, but can you all remember a more crazy group of events to affect a commute in a single morning?

Plane hits house in midway, Fire at a school shuts down all northbound trains (red/brown/purple), bus fire shuts down LSD south, and the travel times were at 1.5 hrs getting through almost every highway.

Really odd commute indeed.

Nice little crash at the Kennedy Edens inbound merge as well.

I actually love winter. Having lived in a cold place (Illinois) and then the South, where there MIGHT be a single snow all year, I realized that I actually want the seasons to change and to have a real winter. I'm especially ready to make that trade when it means avoiding brutally hot summers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
I actually love winter. Having lived in a cold place (Illinois) and then the South, where there MIGHT be a single snow all year, I realized that I actually want the seasons to change and to have a real winter. I'm especially ready to make that trade when it means avoiding brutally hot summers.

I loved winter until last year. Winters in Chicago were pretty mild through the 2000s and early 2010s, but I can't take 3+ months in the teens as highs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
I loved winter until last year. Winters in Chicago were pretty mild through the 2000s and early 2010s, but I can't take 3+ months in the teens as highs.

I like seasonal changes and maybe even a month or two of snow and colder weather, but not months of freezing my ass off constantly.

I'm like you bmags. I generally enjoyed winter until last year. Walking my 1-2 miles from my office and to court and whatnot in 0-10 degree weather sucks. Standing around on a Metra platform waiting for a habitually late BNSF train became unbearable last year. I don't even mind the snow, the traffic, and the shoveling (though I do b**** about that) it's just the cold that I can'd stand anymore. I think as a kid and early adult I just never had to deal with it as much and it was never so extreme.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)

These are the days where I praise the cosmos that my commute is a walk.

I can tell that I'll be a little less enthused about the weather now that my commute is a bit more involved, since I have a bit of riding/driving in addition to a half-mile or mile of walking to do. I try not to sweat it too much. I dislike complaining about the weather because there's nothing I can do about it. I'll b**** about things for which my b****ing might change things. Too little time in my life to constantly worry about the weather.

Anyway, I'll show myself out of the weather complaint thread...since I am not making any complaints...

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
I liked winter when I was younger but I just despise it now. I hate the cold, I hate snow, f*** winter.

Seemed appropriate and accurate today.

If it weren't for career and family needs keeping me here, I would have moved to the southwest long, long ago.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
I like seasonal changes and maybe even a month or two of snow and colder weather, but not months of freezing my ass off constantly.

Agreed.

By the end of Summer, I'm ready for Summer to go away...I'm burned out and tired of all the BBQ's, pool parties, etc.

By the end of Fall, I'm ready for Winter, and by Feb, I'm ready for Spring to renew everything and make the world pretty again.

Repeat.

Though I wish Spring would start sooner and last a bit longer.

It seemed like we had no real summer this year, just a long mild spring that faded to fall. I went up to Wisconsin in the last week of July, and we had 3 nights in our cabin that it was 50 degrees outside, and the daytime temps didnt get higher than 70

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
It seemed like we had no real summer this year, just a long mild spring that faded to fall. I went up to Wisconsin in the last week of July, and we had 3 nights in our cabin that it was 50 degrees outside, and the daytime temps didnt get higher than 70

Agreed. And it doesn't help that winter showed up like 6 weeks early.

It's 10-15 degrees warmer here than in Chicago, so this summer was perfect for me. Previous two summers damn near killed me.

Monday for our golf tournament my players started in shorts/skirts and short sleeve shirts and ended with fleece, storm gear, winter hats, and over mittens between shots. We dropped from mid 70s to high 40s in about 45 minutes. But at least the wind kicked up to 25 mph also.