White Sox sign Zach Duke, 3 years, $15 million

oneofthemikes

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Let's hope we get 2012/2014 Zach Duke and not the Zach Duke who was a dumpster fire in 2013....Fairly meh on the signing till I see how he performs.

You really don't want the 2012 version. He only gave you 13 innings.

If it is for multiple years at a decent rate, this is the pitching signing equavalent to Jeff Keppinger. .

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
If you go from throwing fastball, cutter, changeup to two-seamer, cutter, slider, curveball, you can see drastic changes like that.

At age 31? I doubt it lasts. Do you have some examples? If it is a one year contract with some kind of option, that's fine. But these 3 year deal suggestions would be crazy to give him.

Edited by Dick Allen

DA might be right and Duke might be awful but I'd rather take a chance on someone like him as opposed to giving Andrew Miller 10 mill a year for 4 years. Once again, I'm assuming this deal isn't anything outrageous but I'm happy with it.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
I would guess 3 years/$13.5 million.

I don't think they would go a guaranteed third year but I could be wrong. I would imagine there would be at least a third year club/vesting option with a small buyout attached. The numbers that popped into my head initially were 2/$8 million with a $4.5 million option or $.5 buyout. That's strictly a guess though. He just doesn't have long enough history as a quality reliever to guarantee three years in my mind.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
Dan Hayes

Zach Duke allowed only eight of 41 inherited runners to score (80 percent) last season. #WhiteSox allowed 32 percent. Needed to fix that.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/534764157372215297

I'm confused by the way he wrote this.

So did Zach Duke "allow" 20% of inherited runners to score, and the white sox 32%? Or did Duke "hold" 80% of runners and White Sox only 32%?

Confusing switching of terminology there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)

So did Zach Duke "allow" 20% of inherited runners to score, and the white sox 32%? Or did Duke "hold" 80% of runners and White Sox only 32%?

yeah i saw that too. messed up wording by Dan Hayes. I think he meant that Duke allowed 20% to score, which the Sox allowed 68%.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)

I have to assume he meant Duke had an 80% success rate while the White Sox allowed 32% to score. So yea the comparison should really be 20% to 32%.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)

Yeah it was. Without looking it up, assuming he meant what it would read if the "(80 percent)" was omitted: Duke allowed 20 percent to score, Sox allowed 32 percent to score. The Sox bullpen holding only 32% of inherited runners seems like it would be an apocalyptic number.

Doubt this is a three-year contract as some have guessed. I'm guessing 2/$9. Fine with the signing and even if his K-rate isn't real he has the ground ball chops that we've trended towards. Better this than Miller.