Kenny Williams discussed as CEO candidate in Toronto

southsider2k5

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN · 28m 28 minutes ago

Sources: The Blue Jays' ownership is actively seeking a replacement for longtime CEO Paul Beeston. Dan Duquette among candidates discussed.

Sources: The Blue Jays have also discussed White Sox executive vice president Ken Williams as a replacement for Paul Beeston.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Sources: #WhiteSox balking at giving permission executive VP Ken Williams to speak to #BlueJays about becoming president/CEO…

Williams, in turn, is considering resigning. Promotion to president/CEO is a major step, just as it would be for #Orioles’ Duquette.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/541636720471470080

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
That is a big damned promotion.

Yes it is and he should be allowed to take it If he chooses. If JR does not let him interview, I cannot see a working relationship lasting very long. This would not be good for the Sox going forward.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Maybe they would rather have him wait to interview until offseason transaction period is over?

That is my biggest problem with it. Dude is walking away during the busiest time of the year for a front office, complete with the teams entire knowledge and plans.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
That is my biggest problem with it. Dude is walking away during the busiest time of the year for a front office, complete with the teams entire knowledge and plans.

Well that isn't necessarily when he would leave his position. Guys change FO positions all the time and I don't think it's usually a big problem that they know things about their previous org.

I like this for 2 reasons.....

1) It will help answer the question some of us have had about how much of the things that get done are 100% Rick Hahn, and what are being pushed by Kenny. We could finally stop wondering.

2) We will have a friendly face in another organization, possibly becoming a convenient trade partner. I wonder if KW would still have a say in construction of the team as the CEO in TOR, so maybe Hahn and KW would have a strong enough relationship that they could help each other out with trades in the future? It certainly can't hurt, at least.

1) It will help answer the question some of us have had about how much of the things that get done are 100% Rick Hahn, and what are being pushed by Kenny. We could finally stop wondering.

2) We will have a friendly face in another organization, possibly becoming a convenient trade partner. I wonder if KW would still have a say in construction of the team as the CEO in TOR, so maybe Hahn and KW would have a strong enough relationship that they could help each other out with trades in the future? It certainly can't hurt, at least.

If he goes to Toronto all of his Sox connections vanish. He won't help two teams.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Well that isn't necessarily when he would leave his position. Guys change FO positions all the time and I don't think it's usually a big problem that they know things about their previous org.

It is a big problem when he walks away from everything he has been working on for the Sox.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)

I can live without knowing who's "in charge", maybe they're better as a tandem.

If KW leaves under a cloud of damaged feelings, I don't see it helping the org in any way.

Let him interview, JR, it's good business.

This is big.

Wow, this really came out of left field.

I don't think the Sox have a CEO position. The only position above KW is Howard Pizer at Senior Executive Vice President. And one would have to assume that Kenny would have to be financially invested in the team to be a Vice Chairman. Presumably, he'd also have to get voted in by the group? Different ownership scenarios between the Sox and Blue Jays, being that they are owned by Rodgers Communications.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)

This is a true promotion, not a lateral one. White Sox should allow him to interview.