Evan Longoria

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
I think the #4 prospect, #25 prospect, and #83 prospect in baseball going in to 2014 is a pretty damn good start.

Meh, it's not bad, but it's not extraordinary. It's putting a lot of eggs in the Baez basket, and he didn't exactly tear up AAA last year. Almora is coming off a poor season too. And there is NO pitching at all in a package like that. Unless the Cubs are willing to part with Bryant (which it doesn't seem like they would), any Sox potential offer would be in the same ballpark as the Cubs. Anderson is a step down from Russell, but Montas/Danish/Adams are way better than any pitching the Cubs could offer. It'd be interesting.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
Meh, it's not bad, but it's not extraordinary. It's putting a lot of eggs in the Baez basket, and he didn't exactly tear up AAA last year. Almora is coming off a poor season too. And there is NO pitching at all in a package like that. Unless the Cubs are willing to part with Bryant (which it doesn't seem like they would), any Sox potential offer would be in the same ballpark as the Cubs. Anderson is a step down from Russell, but Montas/Danish/Adams are way better than any pitching the Cubs could offer. It'd be interesting.

What recent trade has been better? Nobody is giving up a lot for single players anymore. That will absolutely net Longoria

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
What recent trade has been better? Nobody is giving up a lot for single players anymore. That will absolutely net Longoria

Well, the trade to get Upton the other day was fairly similar, although that was only for 1 year of him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)

The Rays choosing Baez/Almora/Alcantara (all of whom have arrows slightly pointing down) over Anderson/Montas/Danish (arrows all pointing up) is no slam dunk. There's major upside in that Cubs package, and all those guys are super young, but there's some shine off the apple there. Again, the Cubs have the Russell and (especially) Bryant trump cards, but if they don't play them they're really not much better than the Sox.

In terms of a recent trade that was better, I'd say the Cubs made out better in the Samardzija/Hammel trade. It's 2 players, but both were on shorter-term contracts than Longoria.

Let's take a deep breath here.

First, I'm envious that the Cubs finally have a parade of young talent coming through their minor league system. Most of the players mentioned are no longer lottery tickets. They are all going to be at contributors at the major league level. Maybe one or two of them won't pan out because of injuries, but most of them are poised to succeed at the major league level. There is no need for Theo Epstein or Jed Hoyer to start trading their version of "The Kids Can Play" just to get the back half of Evan Longoria's career. The guys they would be trading are likely to have upsides better than Longoria's age 30 year and beyond.

Second, I hope the Cubs do well. I'm the White Sox sheep in a Cubs family. My uncle became a Cub fan in the '20s in Wisconsin, moved to Wrigleyville as a young man, raised his family there, lived a long and happy life, rejoiced at the graduation of his son and grandchildren when they graduated from college, lived long enough to see a ground ball scoot under Leon Durhame's glove, died in 1986 at the age of 69, and NEVER once in his lifetime did he see his beloved Cubs win a world series. The city of Chicago could use some optimism from Wrigley Field. When I'm feeling mopey, I can just pop in a DVD of one of the games from our glorious 2005 victory, and soon my sad day becomes happy! I hope Cub fans get that chance. Once. Just once. Only once. But once.

Third, Theo and Jed are going to get the Cubs to the brink of the World Series by hook or by crook. They have positional players developing, and soon they will be coming out of the proverbial ying-yang. To win, the Cubs need starting pitchers. That part of the Cub pipeline is DRY. They might be able to get another decent pitcher — Shields or Sherzer — this year via free agency. If not this year, they will try to get Jordan Zimmerman or Johnny Cueto or David Price (or someone else) via free agency next year. If the Cubs are going to trade one or two of their future positional players, it'll be for starting pitchers, and only if they can't get a strong rotation through free agency.

Finally, this thread has veered from SOXTALK to Cubs talk. If and when the Cubs get to the World Series, I'll still be root-root-rooting for the White Sox. Now if the Sox can find a way to bring Evan Longoria to the South Side, I'm all for it. Our best 3B prospect — Trey Michalczewski — just finished his first full season in professional ball with a cup of coffee (84 plate appearances) at high-A Winston-Salem. Maybe he spends half a season at Winston-Salem, matriculates for half a season at Birmingham, and arrives in Chicago next September with fire in his eyes, Thor's lightning in his bat, and a Dyson vacuum cleaner for a glove. I'm not betting on it. Over his best stretch of time (his cup of coffee in Winston-Salem) he struck out 21 times in 84 trips to the plate. That's 25%. For his entire career, Michalczewski has struck out 217 times in 699 plate appearances, or 31%. And Trey Michalczewski is our best third base prospect. Our farm system is getting better, but it still isn't great. If the White Sox were to trade for Evan Longoria, he won't be blocking Michalczewski, let alone the parade of infield talent similar to what the Cubs have steaming up their pipeline. By the time Michalczewski is ready to play at the major league level, Longoria will have moved to 1B or DH.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 09:00 PM)
I gotta wonder if Hahn, or any other GM for that matter, is influenced by GM's like AJ Preller. Geez, that guy has some stones. Hahn going after Longoria for three prospects (not incl Anderson) + Gilaspie....Could be done.

Besides Anderson, who do the Sox have that the Rays would want? Johnson, Montas, Danish? I don't think that's enough to get Longo.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Are we going into the 2014 season still? No, we aren't. there is a season worth of data you missed. Baez looked completely overmatched at the MLB level. He has always been an overrated prospect IMO. Alcantara didn't impress me too much either.

They didn't dominate their first few months in the majors? f*** 'em then, value gone.

You're insane if you think they are suddenly not exciting anymore because of their cups of coffee last season. Just those 3 alone would be a better prospect package than anything I've seen for a player in a while. When was the last time 3 top 50 players were traded in the same deal? I understand those rankings were pre-2014, but all trades in the offseason are evaluating using those rankings that are 10 months old.

I personally don't like Javy Baez. I don't think he'll ever make enough contact for his thunderous bat to capitalize on, but the scouts obviously disagree with me, and those other 2 guys are better than any OF prospect we've had since.....Joe Borchard I guess?

EDIT: Sorry, Alcantara was ranked #83. I was thinking where he would be ranked next year. Apologies, but I still think can't think of a haul of 3 top, let's say 75, ranked prospects.

Edited by Chilihead90

Minor league rankings are irrelevant. Oh, such and such a guy is rated highly, awesome. If that team's scouts have an aversion to that type of player, they are not going to trade for them.

If you added Soler to that package, and a low level minor league pitcher, I think you may have something. Longoria is under contract at a reasonable price for 9 YEARS. He is insanely valuable still. If someone offered you Baez, Alcantara, and Almora for Chris Sale, would you take it? I certainly wouldn't, and it's an incredibly similar situation.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
That depends. Do I want to trade Chris Sale? Is that the best value that I'm getting?

People act like there is a blue book value on players. The sox wouldn't make that deal because the white sox are not trading chris sale

The Rays aren't trading Evan Longoria either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Minor league rankings are irrelevant. Oh, such and such a guy is rated highly, awesome. If that team's scouts have an aversion to that type of player, they are not going to trade for them.

That would totally incorrect.

Minor league rankings are a major factor in setting the trade value of a prospect.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)

Minor league rankings are a major factor in setting the trade value of a prospect.

"Hey [insert team scouts name here]. What do you think of Baez? Accept a Quintana for Baez swap? Maybe if they throw in Olt?"

"Don't do it Rick. He either hits it really far, or strikes out. He does the latter more."

"But...his prospect ranking."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
"Hey [insert team scouts name here]. What do you think of Baez? Accept a Quintana for Baez swap? Maybe if they throw in Olt?"

"Don't do it Rick. He either hits it really far, or strikes out. He does the latter more."

"But...his prospect ranking."

Or we'll throw in Bryant and Russell....you know, those prospects have zero value until they are proven veterans.

Maybe we should have just given anderson for a 1/2 a year of Shark. He hasn't proven anything, while Phegley and Semien are proven solid backups.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 09:00 PM)
I gotta wonder if Hahn, or any other GM for that matter, is influenced by GM's like AJ Preller. Geez, that guy has some stones. Hahn going after Longoria for three prospects (not incl Anderson) + Gilaspie....Could be done.

could be done. Hopefully, they don't.

Of course Preller didn't trade his top prospects either. He protected most of his top prospects. The only 1 he traded was for Myers. This board would have all in on trading 3 top prospects for Myers. He traded the elite Grandal for Matt Kemp.

It also helps when you have a strong farm system. Not a thin one like the Sox have.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Or we'll throw in Bryant and Russell....you know, those prospects have zero value until they are proven veterans.

Maybe we should have just given anderson for a 1/2 a year of Shark. He hasn't proven anything, while Phegley and Semien are proven solid backups.

Never thought I see someone comparing "proven solid" with Semien and Phegley to Quintana. It's a nice attempt to prove a point though. I've been one of the biggest prospect guys on this site for years and with what wite said is damn near on the nose. Sure the rankings of guys does help. I agree with it especially cause it deals with upside/ceiling guys more than limited/floor guys which is what I look for when evaluating guys in our system more so than some of the guys on FS. But their are more than not, exceptions obviously. I remember when Dustin Pedroia was not even a top 5 spect in the Red Sox system behind such "studs" like Andy Marte, Lars Anderson, Michael Bowden, etc. cause he didn't have their tools or size, or upside. Hell, dont get me started on his BA ranking. Look what he's done being an afterthought.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)

Sorry, meant to point out that this conversation took place before 2014.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
could be done. Hopefully, they don't.

Of course Preller didn't trade his top prospects either. He protected most of his top prospects. The only 1 he traded was for Myers. This board would have all in on trading 3 top prospects for Myers. He traded the elite Grandal for Matt Kemp.

It also helps when you have a strong farm system. Not a thin one like the Sox have.

Hold on a second, you wouldn't trade any three prospects in our systems (excluding Rodon & Anderson) plus Gillaspie for Evan Longoria? Please tell me I'm misinterpreting something here, because Evan Longoria is easily one of the best players in baseball and signed to a relatively affordable deal. If that really is the case, then you definitely care more about prospects than winning World Series.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)

No, minor league rankings are a byproduct of a player's value. Teams will scout and rate players and, while they perhaps seek advice, they are not going to value a player higher because he was the 13th ranked prospect in the game. They are going to value him higher because he has a high ceiling.