Chris Sale has a foot injury

Baron

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 3, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
No way do they start Sale on the home opener as they will sell that out anyways. I am sure they would like to start him that weekend though so they can get more fans to the second or third games.

Doubt this has any bearing on the decision.

The "experts" on MLB Network this morning talked of Sale's injury and also discussed Rodon and Minoso. They mentioned the foot injury needing to be treated very cautiously because if it isn't healed properly and completely it can affect the pitchers motion and follow through. I think we have discussed that and certainly the Sox know all about the issues. Now they were critical of the Sox not handing Rodon a starting job right now questioning if he was really as advanced as the reports say he is. The consensus was if he has the wipeout pitches now he should be on the 25 man roster come opening day. But, they then went over his fastball, slide and changeup and were impressed.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 3, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
The "experts" on MLB Network this morning talked of Sale's injury and also discussed Rodon and Minoso. They mentioned the foot injury needing to be treated very cautiously because if it isn't healed properly and completely it can affect the pitchers motion and follow through. I think we have discussed that and certainly the Sox know all about the issues. Now they were critical of the Sox not handing Rodon a starting job right now questioning if he was really as advanced as the reports say he is. The consensus was if he has the wipeout pitches now he should be on the 25 man roster come opening day. But, they then went over his fastball, slide and changeup and were impressed.

No he shouldn't be and won't be on the opening day roster.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
#WhiteSox: Chris Sale ruled out for Opening Day (via @CSNHayes) - http://t.co/G3V3WCiBYx #WhiteSoxTalk http://t.co/VC2JCJGUlh

https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/575743767564652544

Key from that news is that he's scheduled to resume baseball activities on March 21st. That would give him 23 days to get ready for the April 12th start. I think he can do it but the key will be to actually meet that timetable for starting to throw again. I don't think he's going to meet it and he'll probably make his first start the 17th. That's just my opinion we'll see how it goes.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Key from that news is that he's scheduled to resume baseball activities on March 21st. That would give him 23 days to get ready for the April 12th start. I think he can do it but the key will be to actually meet that timetable for starting to throw again. I don't think he's going to meet it and he'll probably make his first start the 17th. That's just my opinion we'll see how it goes.

That is reasonable. Hopefully, he is on the bike and in the water to keep his lower extremities in shape so he doesn't lose the endurance there. That is the key to rehab at this point.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
That is reasonable. Hopefully, he is on the bike and in the water to keep his lower extremities in shape so he doesn't lose the endurance there. That is the key to rehab at this point.

As I'm sure you know there's only so much you can do to speed the healing process of ligament and bone. I'm sure he's getting ultrasound 2 or even three times a day but as you said hopefully he is taking his pool work and lifting seriously. If he does HIIT style circuits he can maintain and even improve his conditioning while waiting to get back throwing.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
As I'm sure you know there's only so much you can do to speed the healing process of ligament and bone. I'm sure he's getting ultrasound 2 or even three times a day but as you said hopefully he is taking his pool work and lifting seriously. If he does HIIT style circuits he can maintain and even improve his conditioning while waiting to get back throwing.

He had better not be getting ultrasound over a healing bone. The sound waves will irritate the periosteum and really hurt. That is pretty much the worst thing for healing bone. Ligaments and tendon you can do it butI'm not really in favor of it, personally. He really can't do any lower extremity lifting due to the avulsion healing.

You can speed up healing in the frame of giving the area the best environment to heal. You can't speed it up physiologically, however you can make sure that the nutrients are getting there as efficiently as possible. The best way is to make sure the blood is flowing to the area, hence the cardio work. Not really a fan of the HIIT workouts for him either. The high intensity would not be good for the healing bone and ligament for the lower extremity and this early in the Spring is more for building up as opposed to driving up the intensity. Shoulder, elbow and hip stability type exercises are the key right now as this is really where most of the stress from pitching goes.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
He had better not be getting ultrasound over a healing bone. The sound waves will irritate the periosteum and really hurt. That is pretty much the worst thing for healing bone. Ligaments and tendon you can do it butI'm not really in favor of it, personally. He really can't do any lower extremity lifting due to the avulsion healing.

You can speed up healing in the frame of giving the area the best environment to heal. You can't speed it up physiologically, however you can make sure that the nutrients are getting there as efficiently as possible. The best way is to make sure the blood is flowing to the area, hence the cardio work. Not really a fan of the HIIT workouts for him either. The high intensity would not be good for the healing bone and ligament for the lower extremity and this early in the Spring is more for building up as opposed to driving up the intensity. Shoulder, elbow and hip stability type exercises are the key right now as this is really where most of the stress from pitching goes.

ptatc, what is your opinion of the oxygen tank recovery. i know it was big in hockey esp when Bowman was coach/gm of det. det used it for yazerman to get him back faster for their run to the stanley cup. i was wondering what ever happen to it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
ptatc, what is your opinion of the oxygen tank recovery. i know it was big in hockey esp when Bowman was coach/gm of det. det used it for yazerman to get him back faster for their run to the stanley cup. i was wondering what ever happen to it.

Hyperbaric therapy does have some research behind it. It is really popular in hockey for some reason. There is one at the United Center and the blackhawks use it. The theory is that the increased oxygen levels as well as the increased pressure helps to increase the nutrient levels going to the injured areas. This is somewhat supported but not great.

Where it is really gaining support is in recovery from concussions and decreasing the lasting effects from the concussions. There are currently two sites in the Chicago area that I am aware of that are doing this type of research. There has been a few small studies but the early results are very promising from what people are saying.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Hyperbaric therapy does have some research behind it. It is really popular in hockey for some reason. There is one at the United Center and the blackhawks use it. The theory is that the increased oxygen levels as well as the increased pressure helps to increase the nutrient levels going to the injured areas. This is somewhat supported but not great.

Where it is really gaining support is in recovery from concussions and decreasing the lasting effects from the concussions. There are currently two sites in the Chicago area that I am aware of that are doing this type of research. There has been a few small studies but the early results are very promising from what people are saying.

yeah that was the stupid name of it. i went to google and found the rest. but you are spot on. my question is and hockey players thru their org uses it for deep injury and bone bruising or something like that. i know they, det red wings, claimed it brought yazerman back someting like a month ahead of time. he was our something like 3 weeks doing therapy like 4x a week.

now here is the disclaimer. the numbers may be off to way off. i just can't remember. this was late 80's. the other part is why don't baseball use it for like sale's injury.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
yeah that was the stupid name of it. i went to google and found the rest. but you are spot on. my question is and hockey players thru their org uses it for deep injury and bone bruising or something like that. i know they, det red wings, claimed it brought yazerman back someting like a month ahead of time. he was our something like 3 weeks doing therapy like 4x a week.

now here is the disclaimer. the numbers may be off to way off. i just can't remember. this was late 80's. the other part is why don't baseball use it for like sale's injury.

No one else except hockey really uses it because there really isn't much research behind it and it's really expensive. Not just the purchase but the up keep. It wouldn't really be applicable in sale's case anyway as it's usually used for soft tissue injuries not really for bone healing.

i think it's more hockey due to the international aspect of the sport. Many treatments are used outside of the US that aren't approved or really researched. These international players and coaches get used to it and the teams follow what they want. Hockey is the most international of the "big 4" sports in the US.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
No one else except hockey really uses it because there really isn't much research behind it and it's really expensive. Not just the purchase but the up keep. It wouldn't really be applicable in sale's case anyway as it's usually used for soft tissue injuries not really for bone healing.

i think it's more hockey due to the international aspect of the sport. Many treatments are used outside of the US that aren't approved or really researched. These international players and coaches get used to it and the teams follow what they want. Hockey is the most international of the "big 4" sports in the US.

many thanks for your input.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)

Do you have any links to that bit about bone and ultrasound? My own experience from my injuries and research is that at worst it does nothing and it might hasten the healing process by speeding blood flow.

Is this particular to avulsion fractures?

HIIT I'm simply referring to doing a high rep light weigh upper body circuit. He should obviously be off his foot into the healing is complete.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
Do you have any links to that bit about bone and ultrasound? My own experience from my injuries and research is that at worst it does nothing and it might hasten the healing process by speeding blood flow.

Is this particular to avulsion fractures?

HIIT I'm simply referring to doing a high rep light weigh upper body circuit. He should obviously be off his foot into the healing is complete.

There is some research that shows ultrasound at very low doses can help fractures heal. There is a great deal of controversy as to why though. The typical ultrasound you will receive at a clinic is far too high intensity. This is the version that will inhibit fracture healing and the one that increases blood flow due to the cavitation and heating effect. Its for all fractures due to the disruption of the periosteum. It has been shown to be more effective on soft tissue such as muscle, tendon and ligaments. This is why I prefer not to use it as it is controversial at best so the time for treatment is better used elsewhere. Just look up articles on line there are many of them out there Because its been used for years with varied results.

The HIIT usually refers to the high intensity interval training. Which is why I said I wouldn't do it. The high rep, light weight for the upper extremity would be fine but the trunk and hips really need to be addressed as he will be losing lower extremity endurance while waiting for it to heal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)
There is some research that shows ultrasound at very low doses can help fractures heal. There is a great deal of controversy as to why though. The typical ultrasound you will receive at a clinic is far too high intensity. This is the version that will inhibit fracture healing and the one that increases blood flow due to the cavitation and heating effect. Its for all fractures due to the disruption of the periosteum. It has been shown to be more effective on soft tissue such as muscle, tendon and ligaments. This is why I prefer not to use it as it is controversial at best so the time for treatment is better used elsewhere. Just look up articles on line there are many of them out there Because its been used for years with varied results.

The HIIT usually refers to the high intensity interval training. Which is why I said I wouldn't do it. The high rep, light weight for the upper extremity would be fine but the trunk and hips really need to be addressed as he will be losing lower extremity endurance while waiting for it to heal.

again, many thanks for that information.