Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Julius @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
If the Marketing Department is reading this, then here is my Open Letter to Brooks Boyer….

"Brooks - at the end of the day, The Cell is in a terrible location relative to your fan base. Your challenge is to get people to show up on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday….and even Friday. Unfortunately, you couldn't give away enough tickets (heck, even enough t-shirts) to get people to suffer through Chicago traffic. My friends in Cary and Arlington Heights only go to games on Saturday and Sunday. Imagine the people that would show up if you had a ballpark in the burbs. The sox had that opportunity but JR failed to see the genius in moving to Addison.

Relocation won't happen because JR has a sweetheart deal with the State of Illinois. What's the solution? Remove JR and his cronies and get people who know how to build a sustainable winner."

I don't agree with the first part of this at all. Is the Cell in the best location? Nope. But is the burbs a better place? No way. Traffic will suck out there too, don't see the difference. Last Friday was a huge crowd, bigger than Saturday. Don't underestimate the appeal of fireworks on the 3rd of July. Your friends would make the trip if the Sox were winning. They'd sit through traffic if the Sox were winning. They'd be tired at work on Wednesday if the Sox were winning. Let's not pretend that the City of Chicago all of a sudden fell in love with hockey. The Hawks won and keep winning. That is why they sell out. Same with the Bulls. Cubs are getting there, but I also agree that many people that go to Cubs games are tourists.

I do agree that we need a change in the guard. It seems stale and needs to be switched up. I agree 100% with that.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
This is where you ignoring things. Caulfield likes to say a third of the Cubs attendance are tourists, but then say USCF is 75% Tigers fans or whoever they are playing. So the assumption that everyone at USCF is local is crazy. The other assumption you make is if 37% of the crowd at any particular game are tourists, if those tourists stayed home, those tickets would remain unsold. I don't think that is true for every one of them. Not even close. The Cubs are more popular than the Sox. It's even in this thread people would be more inclined to go to a Sox game if there was a Wrigleyville vibe to the neighborhood.

You've never heard more noise or seen more excitement from visiting teams' fans at USCF in the last 3 seasons?

You've got Tigers' fans, Cardinals' fans, Red Sox and Yankees fans...what next, the Royals' fans too?

They made the comment that there weren't nearly as many White Sox fans at Wrigley as there were in the past (and I guess they're referring to 2012), but surely USCF will be packed when the Cubs play there....and it will be close to a 50/50 split unless the White Sox are 5 games over .500 at that point.

In fact, you can pretty much guarantee it will be more like a 60/40 split Cubs to White Sox on August 14th-16th because so many Cubs' games will be sold out from now until the end of summer vacation...and fans shut out of Wrigley will look for other options.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
One of the posters mentioned the stadium JR tried to get built in Addison. We're never going to find out because the stadium wasn't built there, but does anybody think they would of drawn more people in Addison? I've seen a number of White Sox surveys where they claim that 20% of White Sox attendance comes via public transportation. There's no public transportation anywhere near that Addison location. There's a Metra station in Wooddale, which isn't close to that stadium site. JR doesn't like to talk about it but when the White Sox were looking for a new stadium back in the 1980's the City of Chicago wanted to build a stadium for the White Sox in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark. JR turned down the offer and instead tried to get the stadium built in Addison. When Addison didn't work out the offer from the City was off the table and the White Sox got stuck at the present location. Everybody I have ever met always thought the White Sox would of been better off in the South Loop than their present location or Addison. In other words I think JR screwed up by not having the White Sox stadium built in the south Loop.

"If you build it they will come." The public transportation would have come with public demand and/or with the stadium.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
One of the posters mentioned the stadium JR tried to get built in Addison. We're never going to find out because the stadium wasn't built there, but does anybody think they would of drawn more people in Addison? I've seen a number of White Sox surveys where they claim that 20% of White Sox attendance comes via public transportation. There's no public transportation anywhere near that Addison location. There's a Metra station in Wooddale, which isn't close to that stadium site. JR doesn't like to talk about it but when the White Sox were looking for a new stadium back in the 1980's the City of Chicago wanted to build a stadium for the White Sox in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark. JR turned down the offer and instead tried to get the stadium built in Addison. When Addison didn't work out the offer from the City was off the table and the White Sox got stuck at the present location. Everybody I have ever met always thought the White Sox would of been better off in the South Loop than their present location or Addison. In other words I think JR screwed up by not having the White Sox stadium built in the south Loop.

i look at this in several different ways.

1. the fan based would have greatly improved b/c now you are putting a pro sport team in those burbs. a whole new group of new fans.

2. the core of the fan, whether they were from that area or other area, a whole new personality would need to grow. the old fans may not follow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
Not sure where else to put this, but the ratings have been horrific for the Sox this year on Comcast

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal...a/MLB-RSNs.aspx

Took me a minute of wondering how the Dodgers could be worse to remember that many viewers out there don't even get the network they're on. If you leave the Dodgers off the list for that reason, we're the worst!

The articles would appear to work better in smaller markets then major markets (in most cases). Presume that is driven by overall # of options / population. Would be curious to see what impacts were in terms of total viewership as I presume it is the total viewership that ultimately drives the checks. Was amazed Angels (who have massive TV deal) were that low. Dodgers makes sense since almost no one can watch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
So much for making up lost revenue with a big TV contract...

Angels are near the bottom and got massive TV contract. Ratings don't necessarily equate to total eyeballs. I'd hypothecize that White Sox still get more eyeballs than Royals although I don't know that and may be underscoring the KC marketsize.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)

I'd certainly go to more games if they were in Addison. I live 53 miles away from the stadium per Google maps, which is telling me right now to plan for an 1 hour and 47 minute trip to get there. That's insane.

I can see why the TV ratings are horrific. Blackhawks were hot and looking strong throughout the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Sox became irrelevant early and incredibly boring while falling out of the race after a short period of time.

I don't want to get in an Ozzie argument, but the White Sox have a small fanbase and if you are going to suck right out of the gate, most of Chicago (not us zealots but most of the city) will not even cconsider watching the Sox on TV. With Ozzie, he at least kept us on the front page, so to speak or at the top of the Internet webpage. If you are going to suck, at least suck with controversy and flair.

Let's face it ... we'll watch every game but most people? They deemed the Sox not worth their time a long time ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
I can see why the TV ratings are horrific. Blackhawks were hot and looking strong throughout the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Sox became irrelevant early and incredibly boring while falling out of the race after a short period of time.

I don't want to get in an Ozzie argument, but the White Sox have a small fanbase and if you are going to suck right out of the gate, most of Chicago (not us zealots but most of the city) will not even cconsider watching the Sox on TV. With Ozzie, he at least kept us on the front page, so to speak or at the top of the Internet webpage. If you are going to suck, at least suck with controversy and flair.

Let's face it ... we'll watch every game but most people? They deemed the Sox not worth their time a long time ago.

sad, very sad commentary of the fans but it is true.

for my disclaimer, i am not a fan of ozzie.

I'd certainly go to more games if they were in Addison. I live 53 miles away from the stadium per Google maps, which is telling me right now to plan for an 1 hour and 47 minute trip to get there. That's insane.

I grew up 97 miles from the stadium and we averaged 5 games per year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
I grew up 97 miles from the stadium and we averaged 5 games per year.

Living in New England, I can tell you many Red Sox fans travel 60-90 minutes to games. Wouldn't Bulls/BH fans have the same length of a commute except in worse weather.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
10 teams since 1990 have had fewer playoff appearances then the Sox (I believe): Nats, Rockies, Marlins, Mariners, Orioles, Royals, Mets, Padres, Blue Jays and Rays. On that list, 3 are expansion teams and the list includes 3 world series winners (Blue Jays (1) & Marlins (2)).

The Blue Jays have two WS appearances/wins.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 02:49 AM)
This weekend had a crowd no less than 25k. But also not a sell out for any of the official reunion games(friday's day game wasnt part of the festivites)

With the '05 reunion and the influx of Royals fans, a high crowd of 33,550 doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Although they do have upcoming weekend series vs. the Yankees and Cubs which should help.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
With the '05 reunion and the influx of Royals fans, a high crowd of 33,550 doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Although they do have upcoming weekend series vs. the Yankees and Cubs which should help.

Crain's or somewhere else said the White Sox expect to draw about 1.9 million this season. Considering they know exactly how many tickets are sold, and historically how many tickets will be bought, it probably is a pretty accurate figure.

They would have to continue to average 22,622 over the final 38 games to get to 1.832 million.

Will be hard-pressed to do that with so many games left when the team's already perceived to be out of the race.

If the Yanks, Cardinals (midweek) and Cubs are enough to offset the team's blase record and end of summer vacation, it will be a huge surprise.

1.775 million is probably a better final guess. If they would have taken 3/4 out of the All-Star Break against KC and kept Samardzija, 1.9 might still have been doable.

Edited by caulfield12

"If you build it they will come." The public transportation would have come with public demand and/or with the stadium.

The Chicago media would have run the team out of town by now. Mark Giangreco wouldn't be sitting in his car for an hour and a half both ways to go out to Addison to cover the White Sox. The team would be dead.

I don't agree with the first part of this at all. Is the Cell in the best location? Nope. But is the burbs a better place? No way. Traffic will suck out there too, don't see the difference. Last Friday was a huge crowd, bigger than Saturday. Don't underestimate the appeal of fireworks on the 3rd of July. Your friends would make the trip if the Sox were winning. They'd sit through traffic if the Sox were winning. They'd be tired at work on Wednesday if the Sox were winning. Let's not pretend that the City of Chicago all of a sudden fell in love with hockey. The Hawks won and keep winning. That is why they sell out. Same with the Bulls. Cubs are getting there, but I also agree that many people that go to Cubs games are tourists.

I do agree that we need a change in the guard. It seems stale and needs to be switched up. I agree 100% with that.

This is 100% correct. If the team was winning, the park would be full. The park was full at the end of 2005 and through 2006 and 2007.

Lots of bandwagon Blackhawks fans now, but recall the United Center was empty 10 years ago. Sports teams and their success run in cycles.

Thinking that there would be more Sox fans now by moving the stadium an hour OUTSIDE of the median population center is insane. Ok, so that helps someone in Addison, but for every person it helps, it hurts 10 people living in Bridgeport, Beverly or Mt. Greenwood.

If the Marketing Department is reading this, then here is my Open Letter to Brooks Boyer….

"Brooks - at the end of the day, The Cell is in a terrible location relative to your fan base. Your challenge is to get people to show up on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday….and even Friday. Unfortunately, you couldn't give away enough tickets (heck, even enough t-shirts) to get people to suffer through Chicago traffic. My friends in Cary and Arlington Heights only go to games on Saturday and Sunday. Imagine the people that would show up if you had a ballpark in the burbs. The sox had that opportunity but JR failed to see the genius in moving to Addison.

Relocation won't happen because JR has a sweetheart deal with the State of Illinois. What's the solution? Remove JR and his cronies and get people who know how to build a sustainable winner."

So the Sox should move their stadium an hour outside the city limits of Chicago, with its population of 4+ million people along with inner ring suburbs, to a location so it can be closer to your friends in Cary?

Seriously?

Asinine debate. Unreal.