2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 25, 2016 -> 02:58 AM)
I really hope that the Sox draft Taylor Trammell.

He's a high school outfielder from Georgia and he's 6'3ft 195lbs. He played both football and baseball and had some big time D1 offers but he decided to play baseball only going forward. He's pretty raw when it comes to pitch recognition but he's shown that he can hit and I've seen his speed tool graded at 75+. I think that he will be there in the second round.

Is he related to Bubba?

No thanks on the raw pitch recognition, I have seen Sox get guys like that too many times that end up fizzling out. Give me a guy with great pitch recognition and let him try to develop power in the minors.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 25, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Is he related to Bubba?

No thanks on the raw pitch recognition, I have seen Sox get guys like that too many times that end up fizzling out. Give me a guy with great pitch recognition and let him try to develop power in the minors.

The only reason why his pith recognition is behind is because he spent half his time playing football. Because his time is fully devoted to baseball, his pitch recognition will only improve. Lookup any souring report on Taylor Trammell and they all praise his ability to hit. And he has something you can't teach in that the guy is a freak athlete.

By your logic of not wanting the Sox to draft toolsy players, I guess you don't want the Sox to sign any left handed power hitters in free agency either.

Just because the sox have had raw position players falter in their system for whatever reason, it doesn't mean that Trammell or another toolsy player is certain to fail. Also keep in mind that this is a new regime.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
The only reason why his pith recognition is behind is because he spent half his time playing football. Because his time is fully devoted to baseball, his pitch recognition will only improve. Lookup any souring report on Taylor Trammell and they all praise his ability to hit. And he has something you can't teach in that the guy is a freak athlete.

By your logic of not wanting the Sox to draft toolsy players, I guess you don't want the Sox to sign any left handed power hitters in free agency either.

Just because the sox have had raw position players falter in their system for whatever reason, it doesn't mean that Trammell or another toolsy player is certain to fail. Also keep in mind that this is a new regime.

That was the same argument used for Mitchell and Hawkins. No thanks.

I didn't say I don't want the Sox to get players with tools, I am saying they need to prioritize contact over power as many of the power guys they have acquired never make enough contact to make it to the majors. Poor pitch recognition does not equal toolsy, it equals a player that can't hit advanced breaking balls.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 26, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)

I don't remember that on Hawkins. Mitchell, yes. Same with Kevan Smith. Anderson had basketball. But I don't recall Hawkins being in the same category with those other three.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 26, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
I don't remember that on Hawkins. Mitchell, yes. Same with Kevan Smith. Anderson had basketball. But I don't recall Hawkins being in the same category with those other three.

Hawkins did play football and pitch in HS

And going a little further back, there were the two QB's; Borchard and Fields.

Even Micah Johnson was a basketball player first, and then later switched to baseball, where he seemed to always be trying to acquire the baseball skills to

match his speed and athleticism. But then, you guys know all that. As I have stated before, I personally prefer skilled baseball players, over "great athletes".

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 26, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)

I didn't say I don't want the Sox to get players with tools, I am saying they need to prioritize contact over power as many of the power guys they have acquired never make enough contact to make it to the majors. Poor pitch recognition does not equal toolsy, it equals a player that can't hit advanced breaking balls.

Trammell is a better hitter than either Hawkins and Mitchell at this point. Again the reports on him out there all praise his plus bat speed and his ability to make contact despite his current pitch recognition skills. As he gets better with pitch recognition, his bat is only going to play better.

I never said that 'poor pitch recognition equals toolsy'. Being a 2000yrds+ rusher in high school and having 70/75 speed and being a freak athlete make you toolsy.

Edited by Joshua Strong

New BA Mock via John Manuel. Big shake-up in that he has Moniak going 1-1. Cal Quantrill going 8 to the Padres is also atypical. Has the Sox taking Collins at 10, even with Rutherford available. I'm okay with that. Still has the Sox on Lauer with the 26th pick which makes sense. Does note some interest in Keegan Akin as well. Presumably later in the draft.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-...kJP5eC9PFPk1.97

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
Brian

Any new buzz on Atlanta at 3?

KLaw

Nothing new on the top 3-4 teams. About the only really new thing is that it seems like Corey Ray is without a clear landing spot right now.

Dream scenario. Regardless there are some nice options that should be available at 10.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
Brian

Any new buzz on Atlanta at 3?

KLaw

Nothing new on the top 3-4 teams. About the only really new thing is that it seems like Corey Ray is without a clear landing spot right now.

Ray, Rutherford, or Collins and Im very happy. Ray definitely doesnt make it past 10 though.

Keith Law's second mock as the Sox passing on Corey Ray for Blake Rutherford. He had this to say…

"I've otherwise heard the White Sox being in on college arms, but it sounds as though they might take Rutherford if he fell here unexpectedly. I've also heard Rutherford being someone the teams with large bonus pools might try to get to slide into the sandwich round or high second round."

He had Gavin Lux going to the Sox for the second straight time at #26.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 28, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Keith Law's second mock as the Sox passing on Corey Ray for Blake Rutherford. He had this to say…

I've also heard Rutherford being someone the teams with large bonus pools might try to get to slide into the sandwich round or high second round."

He's a top 10 talent. How will teams get him to slide into the sandwich/2nd round?

I get the theory of some of this...you reach in the first round, but sign the reach below slot. That gives you money to pay above slot in later rounds to guys who have to be overpaid to entice them to go pro instead of college (like Adams).

Not sure how it applies to Rutherford.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
He's a top 10 talent. How will teams get him to slide into the sandwich/2nd round?

I get the theory of some of this...you reach in the first round, but sign the reach below slot. That gives you money to pay above slot in later rounds to guys who have to be overpaid to entice them to go pro instead of college (like Adams).

Not sure how it applies to Rutherford.

Wasn't Daz Cameron in the same situation last year, then Houston picked in him in the sandwich/2nd round?

I think the White Sox will take Rutherford if he's on the board at 10. They'd take Ray but he's going to be gone. If Rutherford is gone, could see Zach Collins or an underslot player IMO.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Wasn't Daz Cameron in the same situation last year, then Houston picked in him in the sandwich/2nd round?

I looked up his stats a few days ago. Struggling.