Ventura told stuff by front office

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
We only have one potential impact SS (both offensively and defensively), and that's Tim Anderson.

If we can tolerate his learning curve at the major league level.

The problem is that we're going to be skipping a year in development if we push him too fast to Chicago...of course, on the other hand, breaking him into the big league line-up in 2017 (assuming Alexei's gone or moved to 2B) puts a rookie at a critical middle infield position in the heart of the oncoming "competitive window."

i think offensively he can do it, but with his overall develop, i will trust the coaches opinion.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Why?

b/c i am tired of being a jerk.

b/c they are the coaches who are paid for this

b/c they suppose to know what they are doing

b/c the owners trust them

b/c like they will listen to us, the fans.

and mostly, maybe i am full of it this morning. :P

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
Robin should quit. I don't like him as a manager but the minute the front office starts meddling it's time to quit. He can't need the money. I would think after being a big league manager he'll be able to be an analyst the rest of his life on ESPN or local TV.

Show some pride and quit, Robin. f*** the front office. They should look in the mirror in regards to all the stiffs they've brought to the Sox and guys who won't take a pitch and work a count. It's not Robin's fault all these bums have been acquired.

And don't get the idea I like Robin. I think he sucks as a manager. But he should quit if he has pride.

You really are a peach.

“You’re always curious, obviously, because you feel like you might be playing them (the Mets) in the playoffs,” Maddon said. “But my focus is so much on us, what we’re doing. I went through the same exercise in Tampa Bay, where you’re playing against a lot of really stern competition in that division. If you get caught up in trying to compare yourself to everybody else, I don’t think it really works.

“I really believe in comparing yourself to yourself first. And whatever everybody else is doing doesn’t really matter. I don’t mean to sound pretentious about that at all.

“It’s about us getting our program across, our players buying into our program, us playing the game we think is the right way to play the game. And then how everybody else wants to fit into that, that’s fine.”

www.csnchicago.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
“You’re always curious, obviously, because you feel like you might be playing them (the Mets) in the playoffs,” Maddon said. “But my focus is so much on us, what we’re doing. I went through the same exercise in Tampa Bay, where you’re playing against a lot of really stern competition in that division. If you get caught up in trying to compare yourself to everybody else, I don’t think it really works.

“I really believe in comparing yourself to yourself first. And whatever everybody else is doing doesn’t really matter. I don’t mean to sound pretentious about that at all.

“It’s about us getting our program across, our players buying into our program, us playing the game we think is the right way to play the game. And then how everybody else wants to fit into that, that’s fine.”

www.csnchicago.com

with all due respect, i don't understand the reasoning of this, esp here or at this time in this thread.

this is a fluff piece, is it to show the comparable difference in the 2 coaches, sox vs sCrubs and the appch.

My first reaction is that this does not bode well for the 2015 White Sox.

When you have upper management PUBLICLY stating that the manager has been given a talking-to that he should start... managing... as others have pointed out, this is disturbing on so many levels:

a) That a MLB manager needs to be told to start managing

b) That a MLB manager needs adult supervision

c) When he's supposed to be the adult supervision for the players

d) That we're in the second month of a so far terrible season and it's NOW that they're adopting a new approach? Isn't that was pre-season is for, implementing new approaches that you'll use in the regular season?

The fact that they made it public could be a couple of things: 1) they don't believe the message will take if given only privately, which is scary (or really passive-aggressive), or 2) they're setting the stage for his exit should things not improve in the near future.

Sigh.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 12, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
My first reaction is that this does not bode well for the 2015 White Sox.

When you have upper management PUBLICLY stating that the manager has been given a talking-to that he should start... managing... as others have pointed out, this is disturbing on so many levels:

a) That a MLB manager needs to be told to start managing

b) That a MLB manager needs adult supervision

c) When he's supposed to be the adult supervision for the players

d) That we're in the second month of a so far terrible season and it's NOW that they're adopting a new approach? Isn't that was pre-season is for, implementing new approaches that you'll use in the regular season?

The fact that they made it public could be a couple of things: 1) they don't believe the message will take if given only privately, which is scary (or really passive-aggressive), or 2) they're setting the stage for his exit should things not improve in the near future.

Sigh.

nice and well thought out.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 10, 2015 -> 03:02 AM)
I just want to see Robin fired and a guy who knows what he's doing hired.

Not just Robin, this was Rick's big step-up year in terms of asking JR for license to 'go all in' and he blew it. Bunch of mid-level, mid-aged FAs who thus far were bad signings.... Could be a defining moment for him as well.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Not just Robin, this was Rick's big step-up year in terms of asking JR for license to 'go all in' and he blew it. Bunch of mid-level, mid-aged FAs who thus far were bad signings.... Could be a defining moment for him as well.

How do you know that? That's not consistent with anything that was said at any point by front office staff, nor is it consistent with the prevailing trends of the industry. Our team, like at least a dozen others, realized that they're better off contending every year, even if it's only for the Wild Card, than they are following the "boom & bust" rebuild cycle. Most of the acquisitions Hahn made this offseason are designed to help for two to three years without sacrificing much beyond that. The only significant move he made for 2015 only is Samardzija, who he'll recoup some of the value on with a QO offer or a deadline trade.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 12, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
How do you know that? That's not consistent with anything that was said at any point by front office staff, nor is it consistent with the prevailing trends of the industry. Our team, like at least a dozen others, realized that they're better off contending every year, even if it's only for the Wild Card, than they are following the "boom & bust" rebuild cycle. Most of the acquisitions Hahn made this offseason are designed to help for two to three years without sacrificing much beyond that. The only significant move he made for 2015 only is Samardzija, who he'll recoup some of the value on with a QO offer or a deadline trade.

I've seen at least three posts now conflating this "all in" with the KW "all ins" (pick your year) and as you said, it should stop. This isn't picking up Alex Rios on waivers or trading for Jake Peavy.

The Sox have exactly one contract they might have trouble moving (La Roche) and even then it's not like they are on the hook for much there. The only player of any consequence they gave up was Semien who wasn't going to see much time here anyways. We can argue that picking Micah over Semien was dumb but whatever it's clear they didn't have a plan for him here.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 12, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
I've seen at least three posts now conflating this "all in" with the KW "all ins" (pick your year) and as you said, it should stop. This isn't picking up Alex Rios on waivers or trading for Jake Peavy.

The Sox have exactly one contract they might have trouble moving (La Roche) and even then it's not like they are on the hook for much there. The only player of any consequence they gave up was Semien who wasn't going to see much time here anyways. We can argue that picking Micah over Semien was dumb but whatever it's clear they didn't have a plan for him here.

while i am not trying to take sides, another player i liked was Bassitt.

as i said, i am not going to voice my thoughts on this.

peace.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 12, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)

However, they're "Not" contending every year. Not on that, they're not contending this year at a cost almost $30 million more than not contending last year, and they're doing so with another payroll increase already on the books for next year just based on the contracts they currently have - so revenue growth this year in the form of at least a wild card hunt was an absolute must just to keep things balanced.

"They're better off contending every year than following the boom & bust cycle". When do we get this boom exactly? Heck, when do we get any year of contending?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
However, they're "Not" contending every year. Not on that, they're not contending this year at a cost almost $30 million more than not contending last year, and they're doing so with another payroll increase already on the books for next year just based on the contracts they currently have - so revenue growth this year in the form of at least a wild card hunt was an absolute must just to keep things balanced.

"They're better off contending every year than following the boom & bust cycle". When do we get this boom exactly? Heck, when do we get any year of contending?

a nice subtle sarcasm, nice.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)

Cabrera's quite possibly another contract that won't be easy to move or will require us eating part of it.

And Duke...although perhaps last night was a sign of overuse/familiarity more than an indicator of a particularly worrisome event or trend.

Finally, moving Robertson just puts us right back into boom/bust territory again.

The scariest problem is there's just way too much uncertainty at C, 3b, 2b and SS for our 2016-2019 cycle. And that's operating under the assumption Eaton, LaRoche, Cabrera and Avi are all solid or above-average over that time frame. Those are all quite challenging positions to fill, especially C and the left side of the infield.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)

Well we got a new GM two years ago. It should start now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2015 -> 09:52 PM)
Cabrera's quite possibly another contract that won't be easy to move or will require us eating part of it.

And Duke...although perhaps last night was a sign of overuse/familiarity more than an indicator of a particularly worrisome event or trend.

Finally, moving Robertson just puts us right back into boom/bust territory again.

The scariest problem is there's just way too much uncertainty at C, 3b, 2b and SS for our 2016-2019 cycle. And that's operating under the assumption Eaton, LaRoche, Cabrera and Avi are all solid or above-average over that time frame. Those are all quite challenging positions to fill, especially C and the left side of the infield.

the uncertainty should be that wildcard. not b/c of what you posted, but b/c no one knows what will happen not be able to predict or assume anything. i guess i look at it in a more pragmatic way.

for me, build or rebuild the farm system. have players at different level in their developmental stages, hopefully 1 will become a good player. by the meaning of different levels, i mean when 1 player leaves thru FA, there will be another one to step in.

re the bold, i do not mean to nitpick, or maybe i am misunderstanding this, but those will not be around till 2019, b/c of the length of their contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 13, 2015 -> 05:19 AM)
the uncertainty should be that wildcard. not b/c of what you posted, but b/c no one knows what will happen not be able to predict or assume anything. i guess i look at it in a more pragmatic way.

for me, build or rebuild the farm system. have players at different level in their developmental stages, hopefully 1 will become a good player. by the meaning of different levels, i mean when 1 player leaves thru FA, there will be another one to step in.

re the bold, i do not mean to nitpick, or maybe i am misunderstanding this, but those will not be around till 2019, b/c of the length of their contract.

Sale, Abreu, Q, Avi, Rodon, Eaton....that group.

Why are people talking about selling guys that were just signed? That's not going to happen. The White Sox are not the Marlins. The White Sox have a front four of Sale-Q-Samardzija-Rodon and a really good bullpen. I honestly think the Sox are more likely to add than subtract. They didn't spend $$ to turn around and sell.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
Why are people talking about selling guys that were just signed? That's not going to happen. The White Sox are not the Marlins. The White Sox have a front four of Sale-Q-Samardzija-Rodon and a really good bullpen. I honestly think the Sox are more likely to add than subtract. They didn't spend $$ to turn around and sell.

Because if this team falls flat like it's in the process of doing and the tiny "they spent money on the team" attendance bump evaporates, the financials for next season look terrible without adding a single soul. If they're below .500 in June and especially July, with 2-3 teams ahead of them, I think it would be extremely surprising if they didn't try to move some of that salary they just took on.

If they pick up Alexei's option and offer arbitration to most of the guys who are arb-eligible, there's already a payroll increase to $125-130 million on the books for next year, up from $117m this year, and that's with allowing Samardzija to walk. Just to avoid losing money, which this franchise does not like to do, they will either have to turn this season around or they will have to get rid of some fraction of that money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Because if this team falls flat like it's in the process of doing and the tiny "they spent money on the team" attendance bump evaporates, the financials for next season look terrible without adding a single soul. If they're below .500 in June and especially July, with 2-3 teams ahead of them, I think it would be extremely surprising if they didn't try to move some of that salary they just took on.

If they pick up Alexei's option and offer arbitration to most of the guys who are arb-eligible, there's already a payroll increase to $125-130 million on the books for next year, up from $117m this year, and that's with allowing Samardzija to walk. Just to avoid losing money, which this franchise does not like to do, they will either have to turn this season around or they will have to get rid of some fraction of that money.

We also heard last year there was no way they could have the payroll they currently are sporting. You have no idea of the White Sox finances. None of us do. They obviously have a plan in place, and that plan doesn't seem to be cutting back payroll after this season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
We also heard last year there was no way they could have the payroll they currently are sporting. You have no idea of the White Sox finances. None of us do. They obviously have a plan in place, and that plan doesn't seem to be cutting back payroll after this season.

That plan also didn't include being 4 games under .500 and 6.5 back of the division in mid-April, hence the fact that this thread exists in the first place.