Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
i expect johnson to be in the lineup thursday.

I wish he would be. I wouldn't mind if they traded or DFA Emilio and kept Sanchez on the roster as a utility guy/platoon and defensive replacement player with Micah

Don't know what's up with Carlos, but you certainly can't blame anyone if management makes a change. He at least needed to clear the low bar of out-hitting Alexei and he hasn't even done that. It's hard for me to believe that we've seen the "real" Carlos Sanchez, but I'm not sure if it's doing him a ton of good to keep hitting this poorly.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
Oops, my bad.

Looks as though a change is coming. Imo, dump Bonafacio since he likely has no value anyway.

With how little Ventura uses him, I would bet on this being the move. I could see them moving to a Beckham/Gillaspie type platoon set up, with Johnson starting most games, and Sanchez finishing them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
With how little Ventura uses him, I would bet on this being the move. I could see them moving to a Beckham/Gillaspie type platoon set up, with Johnson starting most games, and Sanchez finishing them.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Paying Boni to stay off the roster is not much different than paying him to stay on the bench.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 03:36 AM)
I wish he would be. I wouldn't mind if they traded or DFA Emilio and kept Sanchez on the roster as a utility guy/platoon and defensive replacement player with Micah

same thought here.

Dropping Johnson was still absolutely the right move. No way should he have been rewarded with a mlb roster spot with his historically bad stretch of defense. Im very shocked someone would argue against this at this time when weven been dreadful defensively, even without him. And if it hasn't improved significantly, then he should not be called up still.

Whether giving Sanchez so many abs is a different argument.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Dropping Johnson was still absolutely the right move. No way should he have been rewarded with a mlb roster spot with his historically bad stretch of defense. Im very shocked someone would argue against this at this time when weven been dreadful defensively, even without him. And if it hasn't improved significantly, then he should not be called up still.

Whether giving Sanchez so many abs is a different argument.

whether it is at this time or before, this argument would have to be with the mental midgets in the sox FO's.

I'm torn on this topic.

Obviously the upside to Sanchez is his defense. How many double plays has he turned that Micah wouldn't have? How many balls has he snagged that Micah wouldn't have? How many saved runs has he had on defensecompared to how many runs have we let up with him at the plate instead of Micah?

Also, Emilio has been awful? I don't know if I agree with that thought process. Last year he had 430AB, 26 SB, was able to play around the field, etc. The year before he had 460AB, 28SB, year before 30SB, the year before 40SB -- you get my point in a way. Basically since 2011 he's averaged 400AB a year with other MLB teams .... why do the Sox find him so worthless when our combined 2B stats are .192BA?? I don't get how he hasn't got an extended look there yet ....I actually think he gives us the best chance to win at 2B, he's not one of the polar opposites in Sanchez (great D, terrible O) or Johnson (okay O, terrible D).

My opinion -- let Emilio get a look at 2B, keep Sanchez up, let him rest and recoup. Maybe try Sanchez one more time near the end of July if Emilio isn't working out --- or as Emilio is gaining trade value --- and then if Sanchez doesn't seize that opportunity let's hope that Micah has learned some fundamentals on D.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm torn on this topic.

Obviously the upside to Sanchez is his defense. How many double plays has he turned that Micah wouldn't have? How many balls has he snagged that Micah wouldn't have? How many saved runs has he had on defensecompared to how many runs have we let up with him at the plate instead of Micah?

Also, Emilio has been awful? I don't know if I agree with that thought process. Last year he had 430AB, 26 SB, was able to play around the field, etc. The year before he had 460AB, 28SB, year before 30SB, the year before 40SB -- you get my point in a way. Basically since 2011 he's averaged 400AB a year with other MLB teams .... why do the Sox find him so worthless when our combined 2B stats are .192BA?? I don't get how he hasn't got an extended look there yet ....I actually think he gives us the best chance to win at 2B, he's not one of the polar opposites in Sanchez (great D, terrible O) or Johnson (okay O, terrible D).

My opinion -- let Emilio get a look at 2B, keep Sanchez up, let him rest and recoup. Maybe try Sanchez one more time near the end of July if Emilio isn't working out --- or as Emilio is gaining trade value --- and then if Sanchez doesn't seize that opportunity let's hope that Micah has learned some fundamentals on D.

my sentiments exactly.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm torn on this topic.

It is sort of strange. But I suppose since two of the Sox more MLB-ready prospects are 2B, they'd rather get them the reps over there. But it is surprising that they haven't at least given him an extended run of ABs at 2B..what is there to lose?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm torn on this topic.

Have you seen Bonifacio play this season? That would be your answer. He hasn't hit, he can't field, but he can be the 2015 Toby Hall in the dugout. That probably isn't worth $4 million a year. I do think, if they are going to send Sanchez down, they should give Emilio one more shot before bringing back Micah. IMO, the White Sox have to be very confident the next time they call up Micah, it's for good.

The question is simply, how much (if any) has his defense improved at Charlotte? I've pulled multiple reports and watched a few games on MiLB.tv, and I do think there is some improvement there. But the reports are mixed. With defense you need a large sample to work with, and if I add it all up, it looks like small moves. His footwork, both fielding and throwing, still needs improvement - but that is teachable.

And please, please, please - stop suggesting OF or 3B for Micah. He doesn't have the arm for either, plus he's had two procedures on his elbow that could be related to throwing. Also, if he's struggled this much at 2B, it would at best take a couple years to get even acceptable at any other position. Oh and, he struggles quite a bit with popups and body placement - put that in the OF? That would not go well. He's 2B or bust.

Sanchez doesn't appear to have the bat speed for MLB, which scares me because that (probably) can't be fixed. So I am all for giving Micah another look, assuming there is at least some positive movement defensively.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
The question is simply, how much (if any) has his defense improved at Charlotte? I've pulled multiple reports and watched a few games on MiLB.tv, and I do think there is some improvement there. But the reports are mixed. With defense you need a large sample to work with, and if I add it all up, it looks like small moves. His footwork, both fielding and throwing, still needs improvement - but that is teachable.

And please, please, please - stop suggesting OF or 3B for Micah. He doesn't have the arm for either, plus he's had two procedures on his elbow that could be related to throwing. Also, if he's struggled this much at 2B, it would at best take a couple years to get even acceptable at any other position. Oh and, he struggles quite a bit with popups and body placement - put that in the OF? That would not go well. He's 2B or bust.

Sanchez doesn't appear to have the bat speed for MLB, which scares me because that (probably) can't be fixed. So I am all for giving Micah another look, assuming there is at least some positive movement defensively.

I think he could play LF. Tim Raines was a horrible 2B who couldn't throw who became acceptable out there, but I do think it is pretty much 2B or bust for Micah. They do work with him a lot, but it's a long, no guarantees process.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
Have you seen Bonifacio play this season? That would be your answer. He hasn't hit, he can't field, but he can be the 2015 Toby Hall in the dugout. That probably isn't worth $4 million a year. I do think, if they are going to send Sanchez down, they should give Emilio one more shot before bringing back Micah. IMO, the White Sox have to be very confident the next time they call up Micah, it's for good.

but did he have the long time at that position to really get comfortable???

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
Boni batted .130 in ST and is currently batting .151. I fail to see how he should get a shot at 2B.

Track record. He's played and started or played a lot of games over the past 4-5 years across the MLB. IF --- and this is a big if, if we are trying to win NOW. Like give this one last go round before we wave the white flag for the playoffs this year, then I think it's smart to give him a shot. His D is better than Micah. His bat is better than Sanchez.

192/.240/.230 (45 OPS+)

That's our line at 2B this year ... I understand they are "prospects" and the Sox want to give them a shot -- but I say let the guy who gives us the best chance to win today get his shot. And then we are really out of it, back to Micah/Sanchez.