Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
I know it won't happen, but I still think Quintana to the Cubs for Schwarber & Baez makes too much sense for both teams.

I'd love Schwarber. Not sure if I'd even want Baez.

I hate that this thread even pops up annually now. I'll say what I say every year, I can't root for losses but when they happen, that's ok, sad as that is. The thing is though, it's not even July yet. This is too early!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
I don't think the Cubs would give up that much

That's fine, just not sure who they're going to get that's as good as Quintana with such a favorable contract. We're talking 5 years of team control for just over $43M. A similar pitcher on the free agent market will make more than that in two years.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)
I'd love Schwarber. Not sure if I'd even want Baez.

I hate that this thread even pops up annually now. I'll say what I say every year, I can't root for losses but when they happen, that's ok, sad as that is. The thing is though, it's not even July yet. This is too early!

I'm not rooting for losses this early. The season may be over, but I'd much rather see guys rebound and/or develop than get the top pick in the draft.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
On June 9 2010, the Sox were 25-33, 8 games under .500 same as now. They then went on a 25-5 run to get to 50-38. I know people will say that this team doesn't have that in them, but they would have said the same thing about the 2010 team. I'm not saying I'm expecting it but I'm not going to start looking forward to draft position.

And the 2010 team didn't make the playoffs. And in 2011, they had the 23rd pick, and forfeited it to sign Adam Dunn.

Had that 2010 team gone just 14-16 over that stretch, they would have had the 10 pick in the draft (protected pick, which means they keep it when they sign Dunn), and could have chosen from the likes of George Springer, Jose Fernandez, and Sonny Gray, all who were in that range.

So thanks for helping prove my point. If they aren't going to make the playoffs, I want the best draft pick possible to be able to avoid situations like 2010 where instead of potentially having one of the best young players in baseball, they give up a pick for a free agent like Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:48 AM)
And the 2010 team didn't make the playoffs. And in 2011, they had the 23rd pick, and forfeited it to sign Adam Dunn.

Had that 2010 team gone just 14-16 over that stretch, they would have had the 10 pick in the draft (protected pick, which means they keep it when they sign Dunn), and could have chosen from the likes of George Springer, Jose Fernandez, and Sonny Gray, all who were in that range.

So thanks for helping prove my point. If they aren't going to make the playoffs, I want the best draft pick possible to be able to avoid situations like 2010 where instead of potentially having one of the best young players in baseball, they give up a pick for a free agent like Adam Dunn.

If you’re out of the playoffs, might as well get the highest pick possible.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:48 AM)

Even assuming they would have messed up Springer, those are two impressive arms that would have definitely been on the radar screen.

And god knows, the difference between 83, 73 and 63 win White Sox teams in the attendance standings isn't much at all.

I swear, the main reason they drew so well this past Sunday was "Selfie Sunday," the popularity of that trend (with Sale and Samardzija among the five), because it certainly wasn't their play during the losing streak that attracted fans, or optimism based on a single win after an 8 game losing streak.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
On June 9 2010, the Sox were 25-33, 8 games under .500 same as now. They then went on a 25-5 run to get to 50-38. I know people will say that this team doesn't have that in them, but they would have said the same thing about the 2010 team. I'm not saying I'm expecting it but I'm not going to start looking forward to draft position.

That 2010 team had a manager who actually motivated his team and held his players accountable when needed. When an organization tells their manager to go home three days for a graduation, that tells me exactly they feel about him. Not only is there a huge difference between previous and current manager, but that 2010 offense was waaaaayyyyy better than this crap fest.

This team will go 70-92 and obtain another top 5 pick. Pretty sad since they were suppose to be competitive this year with all the money they spent. On a side note, can they just bite the bullet and release Danks?

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 07:56 AM)
That 2010 team had a manager who actually motivated his team and held his players accountable when needed. When an organization tells their manager to go home three days for a graduation, that tells me exactly they feel about him. Not only is there a huge difference between previous and current manager, but that 2010 offense was waaaaayyyyy better than this crap fest.

This team will go 70-92 and obtain another top 5 pick. Pretty sad since they were suppose to be competitive this year with all the money they spent. On a side note, can they just bite the bullet and release Danks?

If you're going to rip on Ventura and the coaching staff, please do. They deserve it.

But use reasons that actually are valid and important.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
and i agree.

I guess in hindsight I should have mentioned his poor in game decisions over his California weekend get-a-way. I guess I just thought being away that many games was a bit much. Looking back I it, I guess you hire a bench coach to take over when needed. Apparently, Parent is not that good either.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
I guess in hindsight I should have mentioned his poor in game decisions over his California weekend get-a-way. I guess I just thought being away that many games was a bit much. Looking back I it, I guess you hire a bench coach to take over when needed. Apparently, Parent is not that good either.

and you got a point.

the thing, i think there is plenty to criticize RV for in the beginning of the season, baseball related. but family business should remain family time. this players and coaches misses alot of family time during their career.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
I really hope the don't forfeit multiple draft picks by signing mid-tier free agents like this past off-season. The catching position needs to be addressed early and often in next year's draft

They will not be forfeiting any draft picks this winter. I'm pretty sure Hahn and staff now realize they are much farther away than originally anticipated. Not only will they likely keep all their draft picks, look for the team to add prospects this summer by dealing guys like: Samardzija, Ramirez, and possibly even Quintana.

You are right Lord Chas, they need catcher depth in the system. They also need depth at just about every other position as well. After catcher, I would focus on 3b, SS and OF in the draft. I really hope Samardzija can pitch great up until the deadline. I thought Hahn did a great job trading Peavy at the perfect time for Garcia and Montas in 2013. A similar return package for Shark would be fantastic.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
If you're going to rip on Ventura and the coaching staff, please do. They deserve it.

But use reasons that actually are valid and important.

I think it's a legitimate point. The manager took a 4 day weekend (1 off day), from a team that is struggling. Go to the graduation then come back. You can miss 1 game.

It's not like the birth of a child where a few days is needed.

But it falls more on the front office for letting him do it.

Back to the subject, Hahn needs to start moving some of these players.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
They will not be forfeiting any draft picks this winter. I'm pretty sure Hahn and staff now realize they are much farther away than originally anticipated. Not only will they likely keep all their draft picks, look for the team to add prospects this summer by dealing guys like: Samardzija, Ramirez, and possibly even Quintana.

You are right Lord Chas, they need catcher depth in the system. They also need depth at just about every other position as well. After catcher, I would focus on 3b, SS and OF in the draft. I really hope Samardzija can pitch great up until the deadline. I thought Hahn did a great job trading Peavy at the perfect time for Garcia and Montas in 2013. A similar return package for Shark would be fantastic.

to me, it will depends on the trades the sox makes. i do hope for 1 trade in the sp category.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 07:33 AM)

They have lots of depth, it's just not quality depth. And therein lies the problem...

Just like our "bounty of middle infielders."

Kevan Smith, Kottaras, Brantly, Nieto, Austin (Rodon's teammate), etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
They have lots of depth, it's just not quality depth. And therein lies the problem...

Just like our "bounty of middle infielders."

Kevan Smith, Kottaras, Brantly, Nieto, Austin (Rodon's teammate), etc.

Well it's time to move some dead weight and bullpen pitchers and see what some of these guys have. Kottaras at least hits like he belongs in the majors. Guerra and others who are/were at Charlotte pitch like it too.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
Well it's time to move some dead weight and bullpen pitchers and see what some of these guys have. Kottaras at least hits like he belongs in the majors. Guerra and others who are/were at Charlotte pitch like it too.

Have you ever seen Kottaras play? He's awful defensively

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 07:56 AM)

At least until he quit on the team and started looking for another job during the season...

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:48 AM)

LOL. Joe, at no time in this thread did you make a point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
At least until he quit on the team and started looking for another job during the season...

I'm pretty sure that happened in 2011 not 2010. Reinsdorf should have let Kenny go too after that horrible divorce.