Cardinals interested in LaRoche?

GGajewski18

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
You can put take any connotation you want out of my text. I think saying "his issue" insinuates it didn't go smoothly. What he did proved to be shortsighted when looking at it with hindsight.

i see and understand what you are saying. we the fans on this board has the leeway of seeing things in hindsight.

but even some of the posters where complaining about it. if they could see the mistake in it before hindsight, then how come management didn't see it.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
in hindsight, i agree with what you posted. and i can see that even this past draft with some questionable picks when there were players on the board that signed a lot less than the slot in that pick.

With the changes in drafting techniques since the last CBA it literally worthless to compare one pick to another in terms of signing bonuses because of the way that teams go underslot with certain picks in an effort to pick up talent later in the draft. For example our 15th round pick cost more than our 8th - 14th round picks. Why? Because money we saved in the 8/9/10 rounds we used to go over slot for a HS kid in the 15th.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
With the changes in drafting techniques since the last CBA it literally worthless to compare one pick to another in terms of signing bonuses because of the way that teams go underslot with certain picks in an effort to pick up talent later in the draft. For example our 15th round pick cost more than our 8th - 14th round picks. Why? Because money we saved in the 8/9/10 rounds we used to go over slot for a HS kid in the 15th.

very nice, esp when you present a visual example. i really never thought of that.

so now there is another loop hole.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
I wonder if the Nat's could have interest in LaRoche. A catcher like Pedro Severino might be a nice return.

fyi, and i would be extremely happy if someone can correct my thought process.

the sox does not really deal with wash, balt, either miami or tpa.

ref stl, the couple times they tried to trade with each other, it didn't work out b/c each wanted too much.

but it would be an interesting trading season.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
I'd be shocked if the Cardinals take LaRoche. He's not hitting nearly well enough for them to be willing to pay him $12m next year when Matt Adams is back.

History says LaRoche is a good finisher and a mediocre to poor starter. It'd be a smart get for them IMO.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
I'd be shocked if the Cardinals take LaRoche. He's not hitting nearly well enough for them to be willing to pay him $12m next year when Matt Adams is back.

No one will take him unless the Sox contribute $$.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
No one will take him unless the Sox contribute $$.

Maybe so, but $13M remains a fairly reasonable rate to pay a guy to hit .250ish with 20+ bombs and 80 or RBI. The bigger issue for the Cards is that Matt Adams will be back next year and then there is no where to play LaRoche.

I think the Sox will actually be able to find a taker for LaRoche, if they're fine getting virtually nothing useful in return besides salary relief. Honestly, I'd be fine with that. I don't really like watching him play all that much, although I am fairly certain he'll be much better in the 2nd half than he has been in the first.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
Maybe so, but $13M remains a fairly reasonable rate to pay a guy to hit .250ish with 20+ bombs and 80 or RBI. The bigger issue for the Cards is that Matt Adams will be back next year and then there is no where to play LaRoche.

The Cards could simply trade him in the offseason. The Cards could, for example, trade him back to the Sox in the offseason.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:10 AM)
The Cards could simply trade him in the offseason. The Cards could, for example, trade him back to the Sox in the offseason.

Hopefully the Sox would pass on that offer. Please get rid of LaRoche, White Sox management.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 04:34 AM)
Greg, who do you replace him with that wins us more games?

I would let Davidson get his at bats or the other minor leaguers ready for a trial like Thompson. Even Soto or Kottaris. Anybody.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
I would let Davidson get his at bats or the other minor leaguers ready for a trial like Thompson. Even Soto or Kottaris. Anybody.

LaRoche is third on the team in OPS. Who does better?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)

But Laroche is hitting .229 and on pace for about 20 homers with an OPS of .721. You can get that for a lot cheaper than $13 million.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 04:44 AM)
LaRoche is third on the team in OPS. Who does better?

He's hitting .229, 9 homers 33 RBIs. His on base is .336. The 40 walks to 88 strikeouts is pretty good, but he's just not an impactful bat. At his age, I'd suggest he's no more productive than a David DeJesus type ballplayer. People used to get on my man, Jermaine Dye, late in his Sox career. He was never this unproductive a hitter. Like I said, give Davidson his at bats or Thompson. Some minor leaguer.

I have nothing against LaRoche except his lousy batting average, how he's failed to be an impact bat. At his age Sox were looking for production before he fell off the map. Looks like a miscalculation by management in thinking he could still smoke the ball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)

After the All Star Break, yes.

Anyone calling for Matt Davidson should never be able to complain about White Sox prospects anymore. And when he fails, should be suspended if they complain even once. He's hitting .230 and striking out at an incredible clip in his third go around at a level a 22 year old Carlos Sanchez had no problem with.