Post All-Star Game Rotation

flavum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
48-48 with 66 to play. No way Shark is traded. I could see Hahn trying to acquire a couple cheap bats if it doesn't cost much if the Sox are at .500 anytime before the deadline.

Yep, so maybe an Aramis or even Uribe, depending on how things go for the Braves. Maybe both if they don't think Micah is ready.

Who else is a candidate? Can't see them upgrading C, seeing the kind of cautious buyers they'll be, if they buy at all. Best move there might be trying to get a look at

Kottaras. Maybe a pen arm?

Melky and Eaton starting to hit. They won't give up on Avi so quickly. So what's left or what else might happen?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

When has buying old veterans ever worked?

Youkilis is the only one I can remember and we gave up next to nothing for him, as Valentine channeled Ozzie in his ferocity in wanting the player off his team. (The subsequent Williams moves for veterans that year didn't help at all.)

Aramiz Ramirez is 37 and has an OPS of .692. Difference maker or silly hero worship?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)

Youkilis is the only one I can remember and we gave up next to nothing for him, as Valentine channeled Ozzie in his ferocity in wanting the player off his team. (The subsequent Williams moves for veterans that year didn't help at all.)

Aramiz Ramirez is 37 and has an OPS of .692. Difference maker or silly hero worship?

The thing about Aramis is that he really should cost next to nothing. He is retiring after this season, this would be a chance for him to possibly help a team get into a wildcard race. Anything the Sox give up for him should be monetary, not personnel. The Brewers would be replacing him next year no matter what

While this thread is high jacked, I'll add even more.... I wonder what the Dodgers would want for Justin Turner? Isn't Olivera supposed to be in the majors soon?

Turner is still young enough that he could be a bridge for a few years till hopefully Trey M. makes his way up.

Edited because I'm fat and my phone is small.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Aramis, like LaRoche has been a 2nd half hitter throughout his career. I would take a gamble on him if it doesn't't cost EJ, Danish, Montas, Adams, Anderson, Hawkins, or Trey.

I agree. It would be similar to the Youkilis gamble without giving up anything. Then DH him against lefties and play Beckham at third and release Gillaspie.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
Sale will have 7 days rest if he pitches Sunday. He didn't pitch in ST.

Why would they?:

a. choose to do such an enormous favor to Ned and the Royals

b. choose now, when there's an outside chance of getting back into semi-contention over the next few weeks, to give him the periodic "extra rest", can't that wait a couple weeks?

UNLESS, they really don't want to face the conundrum and potential white flag-esque bad pub that would undoubtedly happen if they were to reach .500, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 back for the second WC, and still sold. Similarly, if they choose now to be extra-cautious with Abreu, I'll be suspicious.

Never want to believe that a single game of 162 means too much, but it's just possible that Sunday's 2 hit anemia was the final nail in the org's consideration of competing.

And maybe Sale will start Sunday - should be interesting.

Maybe he is having some of his normal elbow issues and that's why they want him to have more rest. As a matter of fact, that is probably the only reason they would give him that amount of rest.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)

Fast Freddy Garcia, Contreras, Hernadez.

Fisk was in his 30's when the White Sox got him.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Sounds like Sale pitching Sunday could still be the plan. After reading the article it sounds like Sale has no animosity at all about not pitching the ASG.

"I don't make calls like that," he said of whether he will start Sunday. "[but] absolutely, any time you get an in-division rival, those are the games you need, those are the games you want. Like I said before, I'm here to pitch, whatever they've got for me, I'm game for it."

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/136...ll-star-victory

If Sale goes Sunday I really hope the Sox get creative and skip Danks and go with Samardzija, EJ, Q, Sale for the Sox/Royals series.

I had posted this in the ASG thread but really should have been posted here. :)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
Maybe he is having some of his normal elbow issues and that's why they want him to have more rest. As a matter of fact, that is probably the only reason they would give him that amount of rest.

Considering that every single season Sale has pitched as a starter, he has missed some amount of time due to a minor arm injury, even if he isn't having any pain, it isn't a bad idea to give him breaks whenever possible, especially around a game that means nothing.

Yeah, I said it Bud. The All-Star game means nothing.

And considering the near universal sentiment was that Chris Sale was a Tommy John waiting to happen when he was drafted, I would give the White Sox a whole lot of credit for being 4 seasons and nearly 700 IP into his starting career with no major problems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
Considering that every single season Sale has pitched as a starter, he has missed some amount of time due to a minor arm injury, even if he isn't having any pain, it isn't a bad idea to give him breaks whenever possible, especially around a game that means nothing.

Yeah, I said it Bud. The All-Star game means nothing.

And considering the near universal sentiment was that Chris Sale was a Tommy John waiting to happen when he was drafted, I would give the White Sox a whole lot of credit for being 4 seasons and nearly 700 IP into his starting career with no major problems.

I think once interleague play started in '97, the All Star Game became irrelevant. The whole point of it was to take the best from each league and give them a chance to play against each other and for fans to see players from the other league that they normally wouldn't. Now that the leagues play each other anyways, it's pretty pointless.

People complaining about Sale not pitching are mentioning his normal rest would put him on schedule for Sunday even if he pitched last night. The All Star break is good for extra rest. Why keep Sale on a normal schedule and risk it when you don't have to watch him for one inning in a game who really cares who wins, and the guy gets a break and actually winds up pitching an extra game or 2 the rest of the season

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
I think once interleague play started in '97, the All Star Game became irrelevant. The whole point of it was to take the best from each league and give them a chance to play against each other and for fans to see players from the other league that they normally wouldn't. Now that the leagues play each other anyways, it's pretty pointless.

good point, i knew there was a reason why i had change my lack of enthusiasm for the ASG. now you identified it.

i agree.