Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
Part of the reason for a farm system is to be used for trade. The White Sox got a lot more value for the players they drafted than the players they drafted actually provided.

They didn't draft well, up until Dunn, they hadn't spend more than $20 million on another team's free agent since Albert Belle, yet they had some good teams. They weren't really in a mode to trade their players for prospects, but recently things have become better with Jaye and Webb, and Montas

Yep - Unfortunately who we kept didn't develop well either, but the bright side was Kenny used the bullets to by and large get far better players then we gave up. Prospects are to use to fill needs, both via trade and via their own performances when they come up. The key is being able to accumulate as much talent as possible and then be able to leverage it in the best interest of your club. However, if you can't accumulate the talent first, then you find yourself in a much worse position. Thankfully, the Sox seem to be doing a better job accumulating talent, although on the position side of the house, we are still struggling pretty significantly. Saladino / Sanchez / Johnson don't make me think otherwise, either.

The best franchises do a good job of keeping the guys they believe in the most and moving the guys that they maybe have a little less faith in (and / or who don't fit as well into their plans given other players in the clubhouse). For example, Sox gave up 4 players for Shark, but I'd argue none of those guys were integral parts to any long-term plan. Did they have some value, sure, but in the grand scheme, the upside of any one player was very minimal vs. the upside of someone like Shark.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
I'll just throw this in here

@Joelsherman1: Most persistent chatter from execs: Kimbrel/Yankees. Leake/#sfgiants. #Padres/#Cubs working on something big. #whitesox/run producing bat

Well let's hope all that happens besides the Cubs thing.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 5m5 minutes ago

With Padres rumored to be on verge of selling explosion, interesting to note Will Middlebrooks removed from AAA game.

Middlebrooks and Upton?

UGGGH Middlebrooks is Gillaspie with more pop

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 5m5 minutes ago

With Padres rumored to be on verge of selling explosion, interesting to note Will Middlebrooks removed from AAA game.

Middlebrooks and Upton?

Or to the Cubs with the Theo connection and reports the Cubs and Padres are close

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)
Cubs don't need Middlebrooks

But it could've been a "We'll only give you Ross if you take Middlebrooks as well" type of thing.

Like Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
But it could've been a "We'll only give you Ross if you take Middlebrooks as well" type of thing.

Like Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

Except Middlebrooks doesn't have anything closely resembling the train wreck of a contract that Willis did at that time.

That trade was as much about the financial power of the Tigers to swallow a busted contract than it was that Maybin/Miller were better prospects than we were able to come up to match it from our system.

That trade was the equivalent of Tim Anderson and Carson Fulmer going in one deal...

2. Where does Upton land?

The Baltimore Orioles, Chicago White Sox or New York Mets seem the most likely destination. The Orioles have received terrible production from their outfield corners and while they're just a game over .500, they're only two back of the Minnesota Twins for the second wild-card spot. The White Sox climbed back into the wild-card race with a seven-game winning streak, although that was snapped Thursday as the Boston Red Sox pounded Chris Sale in one of the worst outings of his career. The White Sox spent a lot of money in the offseason (Melky Cabrera, Adam LaRoche, David Robertson) so they may fancy themselves contenders even if the minus-52 run differential suggests otherwise. Their next six series are against the New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels, Chicago Cubs and Angels again, so that tough slate may drop them back down in the standings. The Mets? The question there is whether ownership is willing to spend the money on Upton's contract, or if they'd give up a better prospect if the Padres included cash. Prediction: White Sox.

I'm starting to think KW is a bit insane.

The "under the radar" player we'd be better off with is Gerardo Parra, since he won't cost nearly as much as Upton and is exactly the kind of player who if he fits in would be more easily lured back next season. (Yet somehow, Shuck/Avi will "block" Parra in a way they won't with Upton.)

Rumors that Aroldis Chapman is being moved (a couple of days ago they said he was off the market)...

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...gs-to-watch-for

It's crazy to think if you went back ten days ago that we'd be accepting a compensation pick for Shark and we'd be trading one of our top 4-5 prospects to rent a slumping Justin Upton for two months and not get a comp pick back for him.

Edited by caulfield12

Honestly, as long as they don't trade Anderson, Trey, or Fulmer I'm OK with whatever else they wanna trade. Sox have had a good deal of success with pitchers so I would be OK with trading Montas, Adams, Danish, and EJ.

Anderson and Trey are the only hitters who I think could make an impact in this system. Micah as well but with the way the Sanchize has been playing I think it makes Micah expendable.

If the Sox trade for Upton or Cespedes and give up Anderson, Montas, or Hawkins it clearly shows that KW and not Hahn is running the show. I want the the Sox to win desperately, but player development needs to be the key trait of this organization. If the Sox were in first place by five games, different story.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
If the Sox trade for Upton or Cespedes and give up Anderson, Montas, or Hawkins it clearly shows that KW and not Hahn is running the show. I want the the Sox to win desperately, but player development needs to be the key trait of this organization. If the Sox were in first place by five games, different story.

I'm pretty sure I read that anderson will not go for cespedes or upton. Hopefully not montas either. Hawkins I'm starting to think he might not turn out much into anything. He has pop but doesn't hit for average and his still striking out a ton over is last 3 season

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)

Hawkins? He isn't even a top 10 guy anymore. If someone wants him in exchange for an impact major leaguer, I'd do it easily.

When you're struggling around .500, it's really hard to trade top prospects for a guy that will probably not even re-sign with you.

I'd love Upton. He's an amazing player. I just don't think he's worth emptying the system for if he's gone in 2 months.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
When you're struggling around .500, it's really hard to trade top prospects for a guy that will probably not even re-sign with you.

I'd love Upton. He's an amazing player. I just don't think he's worth emptying the system for if he's gone in 2 months.

Anderson isn't going to be traded. Fulmer can't be. Montas possibly.