White Sox make no trades at the deadline.

southsider2k5

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Right move though it bored me.

I'm actually more pissed off they were unwilling to trade Shark than acquiring anything. This team is NOT going to the playoffs, but we're also not going next year unless drastic improvements are made across the roster.

I have a feeling we'll remember this season more for the useless 7-1 run at the trade deadline and it's impact on our future more than anything else.

If anything it shows a different mentality of how the White Sox front office operates. I think a couple of years ago they make a splash. Now they have spent so much time improving their farm system they do not want to risk pieces for a rental.

I would love them to go out and get a controlled asset but I am glad they didnt buy a rental.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
If anything it shows a different mentality of how the White Sox front office operates. I think a couple of years ago they make a splash. Now they have spent so much time improving their farm system they do not want to risk pieces for a rental.

I would love them to go out and get a controlled asset but I am glad they didnt buy a rental.

We have plenty of bullets to fire now. I'm excited for this offseason. But first let's win this year!

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
I'm actually more pissed off they were unwilling to trade Shark than acquiring anything. This team is NOT going to the playoffs, but we're also not going next year unless drastic improvements are made across the roster.

I have a feeling we'll remember this season more for the useless 7-1 run at the trade deadline and it's impact on our future more than anything else.

The question will always be "what if they would have had the advantage of knowing what would happen in the next six series after the Trade Deadline?" and they'll end up 5-10 games under .500 (which will be a slight improvement over 2014, which was a slight improvement over 2013)...

Between our upcoming schedule and all the additions made by the Blue Jays, Astros, Rangers, Tigers, Royals, etc., our position both this season and in the future hasn't been improved.

Now maybe the Twins, Orioles and Rays didn't do much of anything, but they're all taking different courses that at least follow logic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
@ChiTribKane

Chris Sale escaped media group asking for trade deadline comment but did say, "Why wouldn't we want to keep the team the same?"

Yeah, I am wondering if this gives a confidence boost to the team thinking the front office thinks they can win with the team they have

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)

I'm somewhere between this and indifferent. This team isn't winning anything, but the only thing they had of value is Shark.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)

I'd have rather sold shark than buy. But I think standing pat may have been right move depending on his market.

For me: 15% of playoff birth + big draft pool money/exclusive window to talk shark extension>>>>>>>> a package that the A's got for Kazmir for example.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 1m1 minute ago

Rick Hahn: Rentals came into play in last week. No moves made sense. #WhiteSox

David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 2m2 minutes ago

Rick Hahn said he's disappointed and frustrated he couldn't get a deal done

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 3m3 minutes ago

"We were aggressive on multiple fronts. Ultimately costs did not justify the return."

-- Rick Hahn

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
I'd have rather sold shark than buy. But I think standing pat may have been right move depending on his market.

For me: 15% of playoff birth + big draft pool money/exclusive window to talk shark extension>>>>>>>> a package that the A's got for Kazmir for example.

You sign Samardzija and what money do you realistically have left over for improving 3B, RF, C?

They have to trade either Quintana or prospects if they want to realistically compete in 2016.

Otherwise, this "competitive window" just got pushed back one more year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 1m1 minute ago

Rick Hahn: Rentals came into play in last week. No moves made sense. #WhiteSox

David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 2m2 minutes ago

Rick Hahn said he's disappointed and frustrated he couldn't get a deal done

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 3m3 minutes ago

"We were aggressive on multiple fronts. Ultimately costs did not justify the return."

-- Rick Hahn

So basically what people were guessing he'd say hours ago?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
You sign Samardzija and what money do you realistically have left over for improving 3B, RF, C?

They have to trade either Quintana or prospects if they want to realistically compete in 2016.

Otherwise, this "competitive window" just got pushed back one more year.

All of that is impossible to answer right now.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
I was hoping they'd get a good outfielder to replace Garcia, someone like Reddick, Parra, Gomez or Puig. After doing that, was hoping they might replace Flowers with AJ.

Now watch them lose the series to the Yankees.

No biggie. If Sox were going to sell they should have done it after that four game losing streak rite before this winning streak. If the Yankees win all 3 and Sox fall five back again, that would be par for the course. But maybe the team will surprise us and keep building on the 7-1 road trip. We shall see.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)
Yeah, except instead of KW's bravado/aggressiveness...we get Hahn assessing the deadline like his newly acquired mutual fund's disappointing quarterly performance.

i think, going into yesterday morning, the sox were basically in for making a run. plus was unsure of buying. then all the other teams made major moves and the cost to get the pieces was too much.

people can say cooler heads prevail, i think it might have be a divided fo and 1 party won in convincing the owners not to make the trade to buy. but it was too late for anything else.

basically showing a complete ineptitude in how the fo is being run by a 2 headed monster of different approaches.

hahn statement is a fluff pieces, trying to show unity and perfect harmony at the office.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)

How do you know they weren't willing?