Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

flavum

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 10:46 PM)
Too lazy to look it up. Did Dayan improve his eye at the plate? I thought somebody said he was hitting .300 with seven homers and a lotta ribbies. Has he reinvented himself for next season?

I'm too lazy too. Cuz i know I'm gonna click on it and see turds.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 10:46 PM)
Too lazy to look it up. Did Dayan improve his eye at the plate? I thought somebody said he was hitting .300 with seven homers and a lotta ribbies. Has he reinvented himself for next season?

36 games at AAA Charlotte:

.341 AVG, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 13 BB, 23 SO, 138 AB

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 03:49 AM)
36 games at AAA Charlotte:

.341 AVG, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 13 BB, 23 SO, 138 AB

I think he's earned a spot on the big league club next year. Get rid of Melky and put Dayan back in left. Though that doesn't help our defense any. ... If we could dump LaRoche, make him DH and bat him ahead of Abreu.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 11:35 PM)
I think he's earned a spot on the big league club next year. Get rid of Melky and put Dayan back in left. Though that doesn't help our defense any. ... If we could dump LaRoche, make him DH and bat him ahead of Abreu.

He put up good numbers before in the minors. There use to be a slogan - free Viciedo. Maybe he can only hit minor league pitching.

Maybe they should have offered Beckham a minor league contract and work on his hitting. In the farm system a quality hitting coach probably doesn't exist.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 06:08 AM)
He put up good numbers before in the minors. There use to be a slogan - free Viciedo. Maybe he can only hit minor league pitching.

Maybe they should have offered Beckham a minor league contract and work on his hitting. In the farm system a quality hitting coach probably doesn't exist.

the numbers will correct itself for major league pitching. either way, was the uproar really applied to the fact he lost some of that hitting success in the minors, or was it his defense lapse, or was it the whole pkg.

Kendrys Morales - dh - avg 288 - hrs 18

it was, hopeful an eye opening experience, b/c no other team wanted him as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
We are talking about the same Viciedo that we could not wait to get rid of just last winter, right?

I take his AAA numbers with a grain of salt. If the Sox thought there was something there he would have been called up.

Shows you how desperate things are.

Mark

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
We are talking about the same Viciedo that we could not wait to get rid of just last winter, right?

I take his AAA numbers with a grain of salt. If the Sox thought there was something there he would have been called up.

You're talking about the same Sox management who failed to trade Samardzija.

Say what you want about Dayan. Those minor league stats are good. He probably gets one more chance which he deserves somewhere. Not saying he'll succeed. Beckham got a final chance and failed miserably this season. I mean I give him credit for putting up good numbers. I don't care if he gets his final chance with the Sox or somebody else, but he probably should get one final shot. I'm no homer. I'd say it's 85-15 percent wise he's going to fail and be done soon.

while this is an unpopular opinion, but i too think that the sox will give him another chance and his success in the minors is one of the reasons. second i am wondering if he is or will be coming in with a whole different approach?

the other reason is $$$$ . it not like he will cost a lot in order to get the money. just got to remember who his agent is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)

Or you could keep him in AAA until the MLB club has an injury. Clearly, Viciedo is a AAAA player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 11:35 PM)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)
I think he should DH. Or at least platoon DH, with the occasional start at 1B/LF/RF to give guys a rest.

Wow. Based on 150 AAA appearances? Should be noted that he was bad in the ultimate hitters' league in Oakland's system before that.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 07:47 AM)
Wow. Based on 150 AAA appearances? Should be noted that he was bad in the ultimate hitters' league in Oakland's system before that.

Not just based on 150 AAA appearances. Based on his whole career. He was a far better hitter for us than LaRoche has been, thus I think Viciedo is a better DH hitter. He even has more power.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
Not just based on 150 AAA appearances. Based on his whole career. He was a far better hitter for us than LaRoche has been, thus I think Viciedo is a better DH hitter. He even has more power.

Based on his whole career, Laroche has been far better than Viciedo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
If Dayan Viciedo doesn't convince you that AAA numbers for veteran players are worthless, I don't know what will. Do people really think that he learned something during his 152 AAA PA's at Charlotte, that he didn't during his 1798 major league plate appearances?

or more or less, an adjustment in his approach to his duty of a mlb player, esp in hitting and his routine.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)

LMAO, do you even remember his career?

Dayan wasn't a miserable MLB player, he just wasn't good enough to make plans to start him. The fact that he can't play good defense was both his downfall as a starter and the reason he's in the minor leagues. If he wasn't a bottom-tier OF and more of just a DH, he'd get a chance because even his offensive disappointments weren't horrible in terms of overall production. But you can't give too many chances to a guy who has to hit way above average just to cover his poor defense.

I'd call him up if I needed him, but I wouldn't ever enter a season trying to a find a place for him.