Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
With Price, Cueto, Kazmir, Leake, Latos as free agents with no draft pick compensation, he may be left waiting til late Jan/Feb to sign a deal. At that point, thats when you go for him when his tag comes down a lot.

I also forgot to add Zimmermann and Fister to this list.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's outing alone makes Shark a risky guy to sign at 20 mill a season. I mean what GM is going to pay a guy 20 million who is capable of today's implosion?? No offense to Shark. He's had some really good games. But unless owners don't mind throwing 20 mill a year at average to slightly above average pitchers ... he's really a poor guy to sign. Maybe San Diego will sign him then try to dump him in late May. You guys all disagree with my rants against salaries, but cmon. It's generally believed Shark will get 20 mill a year for 4-5 years or more. How in the hell is he worth that???

If I were a GM, I'd go with my young pitchers at reasonable salaries (like Sales), then when they are free agents, let them all go. Then I'd try to sign your 9-10 mill a year guys for 2 years to go with my young affordable stars (pre free agency) and hope the bargain basement guys come through (Guthrie types).

Tough way to run a team, sure, but you just cant throw that kind of money at arms that can explode at any time!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
We'd be better off with Daniel Norris or Jeff Hoffman.

Oops.

Now someone inevitably will post a critical review of Hoffman despite it being his first month back from TJ surgery...which historically has required 18-24 months to rebound to 100% or better.

Secondly, the White Sox were willing to take him at 3 if Rodon was already selected, so nothing has changed in his repertoire. If the medicals were fine, then it's a risk but not as much as Shark at age 31 or 32 for $100 million.

No s***. I think if one of those guys were offered for Shark, they'd be on the team now. The Sox loved Hoffman.

He had a bad outing yesterday against about the hottest hitting team in baseball. Those are going to happen to almost every pitcher. I think he's been very good for about 2 months and about exactly what the Sox thought they were getting. $20 mill is a lot but I like that the Sox are trying to lock him up long term.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
He had a bad outing yesterday against about the hottest hitting team in baseball. Those are going to happen to almost every pitcher. I think he's been very good for about 2 months and about exactly what the Sox thought they were getting. $20 mill is a lot but I like that the Sox are trying to lock him up long term.

you are right, those are the little bumps that the season gives a club. it can't be avoided....

but some of those ACE's, according to the org mindset, are expected to overcome those bumps, esp if they are getting paid or expect to get paid elite pitchers salary.

sorry for playing devil's advocate.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
he's like the combination of Javy Vasquez and Edwin Jackson

no thanks, i'll take the pick plz.

ummm you make a good point. what i remember is his start this yr. plus the stats, if i am right, shows he has a similar start most of the yrs he is a starter.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
I love Jeff but, I would take the comp pick and use that money on a hitter in the off season like Upton, Cespedes, or Heyward.

while that is not a bad idea, i have some concerns with that.

1. sox loosing a draft pick

2. the cost of the contract

3. is there a position that is more needed than the needs of the team??

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
while that is not a bad idea, i have some concerns with that.

1. sox loosing a draft pick

2. the cost of the contract

3. is there a position that is more needed than the needs of the team??

By gaining a draft pick for Jeff, I think I could suffer our 1st round pick on a hitter because the 2 I mentioned (Upton and Heyward), Upton will be 28 and Heyward will be 26.

Sox have LaRoche and Danks coming off the books next year and Sox had major interest in Heyward before he got traded to the Cards this past off season, so I think it definitely could be realistic in going after him.

I then would package AVI in a deal for a 3B or another pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
By gaining a draft pick for Jeff, I think I could suffer our 1st round pick on a hitter because the 2 I mentioned (Upton and Heyward), Upton will be 28 and Heyward will be 26.

Sox have LaRoche and Danks coming off the books next year and Sox had major interest in Heyward before he got traded to the Cards this past off season, so I think it definitely could be realistic in going after him.

coming off the book in season 2016???? i am not sure of that,

ref bold you make a point with ref to their age.

now is the cost.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)

I disagree with this. The team cannot keep signing free agents with Qualifying Offers. I think Upton, Heyward, and probably Wieters are off the table.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
But if you stop and think, the question isn't "Should we re-sign Samardzija?", it's "At what price would the White Sox sign Jeff Samardzija?" as well as "Is there a chance he'll be on the market for that value?"

So you start by looking at the usual suspects. Yankees, Red Sox are likely to aim higher. So are the Cubs. Angels maybe? Do they think Jeff Samardzija is worth that kind of money? Probably not.

As an approximation, teams are roughly paying $6 million per WAR on the open market. Since Shark is about a 3 WAR player, his market value should be something like $18 million per year. Whether or not he actually gets this market value is obviously open to interpretation, but even getting him at a discount might not actually be that cheap. This is also not mentioning the fact that nothing he has done up to this point indicates he is interested in taking any sort of discount.

Then, when you add in the fact that the Sox have Erik Johnson ready for another shot and a guy like Carson Fulmer potentially not too far off, it makes even less sense. Considering how much we need offense, how little we need pitching, and how much he's worth on the open market, I'm not sure there's a realistic scenario in which I would actually be in favor of the Sox signing Shark.

Edit: removed picture

Edited by gatnom

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)

Oops.

Now someone inevitably will post a critical review of Hoffman despite it being his first month back from TJ surgery...which historically has required 18-24 months to be back at 100% or better.

What we need is a link that shows the White Sox could have received those guys in a trade for Samardjiza, which you will not be able to provide. It's your BS posts again. David Price > Jeff Samardzija.

It is funny now TJ requires 18-24 months, when you were so giddy earlier this year about Hochevar and Medlin throwing for the Royals.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)

Oops.

Now someone inevitably will post a critical review of Hoffman despite it being his first month back from TJ surgery...which historically has required 18-24 months to be back at 100% or better.

0% chance the Sox could have had one of those guys for Samardzija.

The Sox offense is so bad that they desperately need to spend whatever they can on it. A lot of attention is needed on position players - it's the worst it's been in a generation.

Let Shark walk and go with what we have in the rotation and farm in 2016. We shouldn't replace Danks with another Danks-like albatross contract.

Shark isn't pitching well enough to warrant even $15 million per year. They needed a good start yesterday in a playoff-like atmosphere against the Yankees and he crapped the bed.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
I disagree with this. The team cannot keep signing free agents with Qualifying Offers. I think Upton, Heyward, and probably Wieters are off the table.

Do you sign Cespedes then? There are no other free agents that are worthy of paying because they will all be 30+ years old, so then you would have to trade your prospects for hitting. Do you want to do that to improve this offense?