Gammons thinks Shark gets QO

Buehrle>Wood

Steve Stone did an interview and gave his judgment that he would be given the qualifying offer, and he would decline it. Stone feels that some team will give him a 4-year, $60 million contract. In the unlikely chance that he accepted the qualifying offer and tried to re-establish himself, Stone feels he would be smart enough to make the emotional and pitching adjustments that he would need to make and would pitch well enough for the Sox. Stone, though, definitely puts an extremely low probability that he would take that route because going into free agency makes the most sense for him. In short, Steve feels there is no substantial downside risk to making him the qualifying offer.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Steve Stone did an interview and gave his judgment that he would be given the qualifying offer, and he would decline it. Stone feels that some team will give him a 4-year, $60 million contract. In the unlikely chance that he accepted the qualifying offer and tried to re-establish himself, Stone feels he would be smart enough to make the emotional and pitching adjustments that he would need to make and would pitch well enough for the Sox. Stone, though, definitely puts an extremely low probability that he would take that route because going into free agency makes the most sense for him. In short, Steve feels there is no substantial downside risk to making him the qualifying offer.

I like Stone and would believe an trust in him over most anyone else

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
I continue to think that any description of a sandwich pick as a "very valuable pick" is overstating it. It's a nice little thing, but it's less in value than the combined 2 picks we gave up last year for our free agent signings. On average you might get ~2 fWAR from a sandwich round pick, so somewhere close to 1/2 of the picks in that range will never even make the big leagues.

It's nice. You don't give it away for nothing. But also don't oversell it.

thank you. It's worth about 12-15 million if you go by $/WAR in the FA market but teams wouldn't pay quite that much because the impact is so delayed. THe pick won't even help until at least 2019 anyways. It's not worthless, but it's hardly worth risking he takes the offer imo. He's in his decline use the roster spot and financial flexibility to upgrade elsewhere. Danks has been a pleasant suprise overall and Johnson, barring another injury, looks like he can be a solid 5th at least as well. So losing Shark is no big loss and as already said the pick is valuable but not priceless.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
I like Stone and would believe an trust in him over most anyone else

I'm with you! I like Stoney as well, and am really hoping his time in the organization is not over after this year, when his current broadcasting contract runs out.

With all of the rumors about Kenny possibly going to Seattle, and with Reinsdorf's well-documented policy towards loyalty, I'd be quite happy with Stone sliding into the vacated spot opened up by a William's departure. Stone has always wanted such a front office position, and this would probably represent his last chance at that. An insider (Jerry likes that) and somewhat an outsider (most of us would like that), all in one!!

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
thank you. It's worth about 12-15 million if you go by $/WAR in the FA market but teams wouldn't pay quite that much because the impact is so delayed. THe pick won't even help until at least 2019 anyways. It's not worthless, but it's hardly worth risking he takes the offer imo. He's in his decline use the roster spot and financial flexibility to upgrade elsewhere. Danks has been a pleasant suprise overall and Johnson, barring another injury, looks like he can be a solid 5th at least as well. So losing Shark is no big loss and as already said the pick is valuable but not priceless.

It's not just about the player picked though. It's about the flexibility that it allows dispersed throughout the whole draft. Not sure why I have to explain constantly. I never said anything about the player chosen with that particular selection. That's not why it's valuable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
I like Steve Stone, but holy f*** do not make him the team president under any circumstance. That would be a bigger joke of a hire than Ventura was as manager.

You are a terrific poster on this site and I always enjoy your thoughts and opinions on all things White Sox. Just curious to pick your brain on your reaction to my Stone comment, why you don't think it would be a good idea. Stone's been around the game for a long, long time, and is well regarded in his knowledge of the game. Over the years I've always sensed that regard was for his understanding of the game both on and off the field, including his understanding of the business side of the game. I do think he exhibits the types of competencies and know-how of the game to be able to function highly in a front office position. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd love to hear you expound on your thoughts on this.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
You are a terrific poster on this site and I always enjoy your thoughts and opinions on all things White Sox. Just curious to pick your brain on your reaction to my Stone comment, why you don't think it would be a good idea. Stone's been around the game for a long, long time, and is well regarded in his knowledge of the game. Over the years I've always sensed that regard was for his understanding of the game both on and off the field, including his understanding of the business side of the game. I do think he exhibits the types of competencies and know-how of the game to be able to function highly in a front office position. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd love to hear you expound on your thoughts on this.

I suppose the pun is intended...but I don't think he has the stones to be in a leadership role. Fair enough to disagree but that's just my take. I don't see him being able to get things done really.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)

Quite simply, I'm just sick of internal hires and/or guys with limited/no experience. That's obviously geared moreso to our recent manager hires, but I want our organization to start targeting experienced, external candidates for all our leadership positions. We aren't going to take a step forward until we bring in some fresh blood into the organization. And while I think Stone seems to be very baseball intelligent (a bit too old-school for my taste though), he's never been involved in a player acquisition role before. He's never dealt with negotiations, hiring scouting & developmental personnel, or even dealing with a budget. To assume he can handle all these responsibilities and more is simply too much of a gamble for my blood.

And let me add that if we were to need a team president to replace KW, Dombrowski would have been the perfect target.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
Today's game assures Shark of whatever he wants on the open market. Wow. He gonna get 20 million a year for 5 years; bank it. Just hope Sox don't sign him.

That would be the logical equivalent of hitting on 17. Those days are pretty much over in the MLB FA market. Someone will give him 3/60, but nobody is giving him 5/100. Maybe if he was 28, but not at 31.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 03:44 AM)
That would be the logical equivalent of hitting on 17. Those days are pretty much over in the MLB FA market. Someone will give him 3/60, but nobody is giving him 5/100. Maybe if he was 28, but not at 31.

I guarantee you he gets more than 3/60. Four years minimum. Four years 80 would be the minimum offer or four years 76 million. Four years at 18 mill a year is probably what he'll get. maybe the full 80 million with a fifth year option.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
I guarantee you he gets more than 3/60. Four years minimum. Four years 80 would be the minimum offer or four years 76 million. Four years at 18 mill a year is probably what he'll get. maybe the full 80 million with a fifth year option.

Wow, I 100% agree with you here Greg. I think 4/$75M is very doable for Shark.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)

http://www.wmgllc.com/?mg_items=adam-katz

Adam Katz joined Wasserman Media Group’s Team Sports Division in 2006 and serves as Executive Vice President of Baseball. Katz is responsible for negotiating contracts for a multitude of baseball clients as well as overseeing recruitment. While at Wasserman, he has negotiated more than $150 million in baseball salaries, including Carlos Lee’s $100 million contract with the Houston Astros.

Prior to Wasserman, Katz served as President and Partner of the Reich, Katz & Landis Baseball Group where he negotiated more than 600 baseball contracts. Among Katz’s key agreements were multi-year deals for Mo Vaughn, Sammy Sosa, Bret Boone, John Wetteland and Omar Vizquel. His 1999 agreement for Vaughn, a six-year, $80 million contract with the Angels, made Vaughn the highest paid player ever at the time.

Katz holds a J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law School. He currently resides in Mar Vista, California with his son.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
Today's game assures Shark of whatever he wants on the open market. Wow. He gonna get 20 million a year for 5 years; bank it. Just hope Sox don't sign him.

A single late-season game assures jack squat. Any pitcher can have one really good game. Remember when Humber threw a perfect game? He's not pitching anywhere now.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
A single late-season game assures jack squat. Any pitcher can have one really good game. Remember when Humber threw a perfect game? He's not pitching anywhere now.

Agreed. However it does give teams the impression that if they can get Shark away from the clown college known as the White Sox, he could turn it around. The talent obviously is there.

Mark