Adam Eaton Trade Speculation

Y2Jimmy0

Yesterday on the Boers and Bernstein Show, they briefly talked about the White Sox. Terry Boers said something to the effect of " The one guy that I know is available is Eaton". Bernstein was then excited and thought that was a good idea to free up CF for Trayce. This seems like an awful idea. Eaton has 6.6 fWAR over the last 2 seasons, is fairly cheap, and 26 years old. Unless he's a locker room problem, that's not a guy that a team in the White Sox position should move. Thoughts?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Eaton being traded. There's really been no talk of that, and it sounds like this was just a couple guys spitballing.

That being said, I hope the Sox find a way to get Thompson into the starting lineup. I imagine they will be looking pretty hard to deal Garcia.

Their White Sox information couldn't be more wrong the past 5 years. If the White Sox trade Eaton who is signed to a team friendly extension, they will also need to find a leadoff hitter. Unless overwhelmed, the idea makes little sense. A team offensively challenged giving up one of its top hitters to open up a space for a guy based on his 130 or so major league ABs and ignoring his minor league numbers which would indicate the major league performance is a bit inflated, is not borderline insane. It is totally insane.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)
I don't see Eaton being traded. There's really been no talk of that, and it sounds like this was just a couple guys spitballing.

That being said, I hope the Sox find a way to get Thompson into the starting lineup. I imagine they will be looking pretty hard to deal Garcia.

Terry Boers has always had "guys" that tell him things. This was not spitballing. He made it seem like they wanted to trade Eaton. Now, he could absolutely be making s*** up but it wasn't speculation on his part.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
Their White Sox information couldn't be more wrong the past 5 years. If the White Sox trade Eaton who is signed to a team friendly extension, they will also need to find a leadoff hitter. Unless overwhelmed, the idea makes little sense. A team offensively challenged giving up one of its top hitters to open up a space for a guy based on his 130 or so major league ABs and ignoring his minor league numbers which would indicate the major league performance is a bit inflated, is not borderline insane. It is totally insane.

Yeah I agree.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
Trading Eaton would be a horrible mistake. He was the second best hitter on the team last year.

Yup. Trading from our weaknesses (hitting) would be foolish. Who knows how bad this offense would've been if he didn't bounce back after that bad April. He ended with the 2nd most home runs and the 2nd highest average on the team (14/.287), with Abreu being #1.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
Yup. Trading from our weaknesses (hitting) would be foolish. Who knows how bad this offense would've been if he didn't bounce back after that bad April. He ended with the 2nd most home runs and the 2nd highest average on the team (14/.287), with Abreu being #1.

I'd go as far to say that Eaton and Abreu should be the ONLY untouchable hitters.

It makes no sense to trade away from a position of weakness, just to make it even weaker. It just doesn't.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
They're right. A young position player coming here and succeeding clearly is not listening to our coaches.

Trust me, I agree that he should be untouchable. However, Eaton already rubbed one team the wrong way and then there were the issues with his stubbornness in the field this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
Trust me, I agree that he should be untouchable. However, Eaton already rubbed one team the wrong way and then there were the issues with his stubbornness in the field this season.

I'll take the talented uncoachable player over the untalented coachable player every day of the week.

Why is it that we have so many players that are either uncoachable or have been ruined by Parent?

KW used to perform due diligence on a player and his background before adding him to the roster.

Doesn't matter, how many times has Bernstein been right so early or actually broken a Sox story first?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Why is it that we have so many players that are either uncoachable or have been ruined by Parent?

KW used to perform due diligence on a player and his background before adding him to the roster.

Doesn't matter, how many times has Bernstein been right so early or actually broken a Sox story first?

It wasn't Bernstein.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Yesterday on the Boers and Bernstein Show, they briefly talked about the White Sox. Terry Boers said something to the effect of " The one guy that I know is available is Eaton". Bernstein was then excited and thought that was a good idea to free up CF for Trayce. This seems like an awful idea. Eaton has 6.6 fWAR over the last 2 seasons, is fairly cheap, and 26 years old. Unless he's a locker room problem, that's not a guy that a team in the White Sox position should move. Thoughts?

It's interesting to me because if such an idea was true, suddenly we'd be an even better trade partner for the Cubs. Now, let's speculate Quintana and Eaton are traded -- with the money freed up for the Cubs moving Eaton in LF and Quintana in their rotation (avoiding a costly SP like Price), they'd probably have enough to sign Heyward to a massive deal. Now, what would we want in return to justify helping the Cubs? I'd say Schwarber, Addison Russell, Top two Prospects in Cubs system. Now 2016 we'd definitely take our lumps, (No Q, absence of legitimate leadoff hitter) but think come 2017 the money we'd have available to sign someone via FA. Also you're considering the progression of Anderson (if he isn't included in any proposed Cubs trade...) as a 2B replacement. Perhaps by then we're ready for Fulmer, Montas, Adams.

I never considered dealing Eaton, but it's damn interesting to think aboyt

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)

This. Not a thing more to say about this ridiculous idea other than this.