White Sox mentioned as potential landing spot for Upton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
No. I've stated that if we in fact stand pat I won't watch til next season when Anderson is up.

Agreed. If they stand pat...Robin should consider quitting. That would practically be a set up for failure.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
No reason to give up assets to trade for an older and more expensive version of Eaton. Spend the money, and get one of the top 3 OFs.

Unless you mean $200m for Heyward, you're going to be committing a ton of money to yet another bad defender with a declining bat. Gardner is a plus defender with young-player skills that's already shown he can develop more power as his approach evolves. Those guys tend to age really well.

Heck, Curtis Granderson was someone nearly everyone wrote off and now he's four games away from a World Series title.

Plus, you have the whole Chicago connection.

It's just a matter of finding the RIGHT veterans.

San Diego brought in Shields, Upton and Kemp and it was a total disaster. Just throwing money at an Upton or Cespedes without knowing exactly what you're getting, their attitude/effect on the various teams they have played for, there are so many intangibles.

(Yet all three of those guys have had post-season experience, unlike, say, Adam Dunn.)

For example, David Robertson was a guy who almost had a pristine image, and overall it seemed his time with the NY Yankees and the expectations that brings with it...are net positives, but as a closer with a limited impact on the action, you don't have the overall opportunity to "lead" a team like a position player (Sal Perez/Alex Gordon) or starting pitcher (James Shields).

There's definitely more certainty about Gordon, Heyward and Zobrist in terms of predicting exactly what you're getting...than maybe Upton, at least in my mind.

That said, it would be shocking if the White Sox THIS offseason were offering any contracts over $75 million, let alone $100 million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
I would like to see Robin with some legit talent.

All of the players we brought in last year via FA and Shark were definitely paid or expected to be legit talent.

Even Bonifacio was paid like it, for his utility role.

Unless they're willing to trade away significant pieces, legit talent costs $75 million and up in the FA market.

Or you're looking at guys like Daniel Murphy, Dexter Fowler, Parra, Pearce and Austin Jackson who may or may not (more likely) be justified in their artificially inflated "leading second tier" prices. If we signed two of those five guys, would anyone argue we had brought "legit talent" into the organization? Probably not. They would be saying we're just "being cheap" and actually increasing our downside risk by overpaying for 2nd/3rd tier talent that won't even get the team much more than 78-82 wins if everything breaks right.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
Unless you mean $200m for Heyward, you're going to be committing a ton of money to yet another bad defender with a declining bat. Gardner is a plus defender with young-player skills that's already shown he can develop more power as his approach evolves. Those guys tend to age really well.

You really think Upton's bat is declining despite turning 28 a month ago? I mean, he had a slightly down year but was still basically a top 40 hitter by wRC+. I guess I don't see how one year makes a trend, especially for a young player.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)

Right on. As Gardner ages he reminds me a bit of Johnny Damon but with a bit less pop and more K's. Would slot into the two hole nicely ahead of Abreu. I also think Gardner's contract is much more reasonable for a team like the Sox than the expensive free agents available.

I wonder if the Yanks would swap Robertson for Gardner? Tex reportedly gave the Yanks the OK to trade him to the Halos so maybe the Sox can include LaRoche somehow as a backup to Bird in NY? I know, wishful thinking on my part. :D

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
why would this team be signing more expensive free agents

they aren't going anywhere next year.

Because they have awesome pitching that could potentially do what the Mets are doing if they actually got back into the playoffs. I don't necessarily agree with the current method but it's what is going to happen.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
Don't forget that next year will be year two of the three year plan

Which would suggest the Sox will be in play for one of the marquee available outfielders out there, be it Upton, Heyward, Cespedes, Gordon, or someone significant on the trade market. We are currently below average at two of the three OF spots, so to become competitive enough to...gulp...wait for it...wait for it...actually return to postseason play in the next year or two, we need to act like a big market club and land one of these OF prizes. No more second tier Cabrera/LaRoche types.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
Because they have awesome pitching that could potentially do what the Mets are doing if they actually got back into the playoffs. I don't necessarily agree with the current method but it's what is going to happen.

IMO ya build with something. Whether it's all pitching or all hitting. Get one of the other going and you can always trade pitching for hitting. Not everyone can build both equally. Usually it's one or the other.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Which would suggest the Sox will be in play for one of the marquee available outfielders out there, be it Upton, Heyward, Cespedes, Gordon, or someone significant on the trade market. We are currently below average at two of the three OF spots, so to become competitive enough to...gulp...wait for it...wait for it...actually return to postseason play in the next year or two, we need to act like a big market club and land one of these OF prizes. No more second tier Cabrera/LaRoche types.

I would stay away from Gordon on a long term deal. That's what he's getting so it's not like we could do a 3 year deal. I'd stay away because of age. I'd go younger like Upton, Heyward or Cespedes. We land one of those (Heyward unlikeliest because of huge $$) and go from there. Then it's 3B, SS, C and a SP. There's options this offseason. We need to hit it well. Pardon the pun.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
I just think this would be a disaster. An awful signing and bad strategy. I'd prefer we do nothing for 1 more year than this.

Agree. And this is only speculation anyway. Just some guy looking at teams that need help at position and then sticking a name on them. Nothing to see here people.