2015 MLB Offseason activity thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
Signing Zimmerman to a 5 year deal, instead of the expected 7 years is pretty big. The Tigers should probably stop throwing large contracts around, but it's not really a bad deal on paper.

Weren't the Tigers supposed to be trying to unload some salary this year? I was surprised to see them as the first to start throwing money around again.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
Weren't the Tigers supposed to be trying to unload some salary this year? I was surprised to see them as the first to start throwing money around again.

Their "window" of contending is closing fast. Their owners probably figure that they have to spend now to win now, since they obviously won't be winning in the future.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 09:33 PM)
Signing Zimmerman to a 5 year deal, instead of the expected 7 years is pretty big. The Tigers should probably stop throwing large contracts around, but it's not really a bad deal on paper.

But it will be. More ammo for the NL vs. AL war. I don't expect his ERA to be under 4.00 . That TJ surgery arm only has a certain amount of time in it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
But it will be. More ammo for the NL vs. AL war. I don't expect his ERA to be under 4.00 . That TJ surgery arm only has a certain amount of time in it.

I'm not impressed at all with Zimmermann. Look at the teams Zimmermann faced in the NLE as far as runs scored. Philli ranked 27th, the Braves ranked 29, the Marlins ranked 30th and the Mets 17th who's offense was bad before they made trades at the deadline and became one of the top offenses in the second half. Overall, Zimmermann faced some pretty pathetic offenses within his division despite Philli owning him to the tune of a 7.27era, lol. Oh and if his inter- league ERA of 4.91 is any kind of sign, the Tigers will be regretting this contract in no time. I'm glad Detroit signed him. :D

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm not impressed at all with Zimmermann. Look at the teams Zimmermann faced in the NLE as far as runs scored. Philli ranked 27th, the Braves ranked 29, the Marlins ranked 30th and the Mets 17th who's offense was bad before they made trades at the deadline and became one of the top offenses in the second half. Overall, Zimmermann faced some pretty pathetic offenses within his division despite Philli owning him to the tune of a 7.27era, lol. Oh and if his inter- league ERA of 4.91 is any kind of sign, the Tigers will be regretting this contract in no time. I'm glad Detroit signed him. :D

for me, and my opinion, zimmermann going into the 2015 season may have been interesting to me, again i was like you, skeptical and i wanted to see how the season ended with him.

now, at what he signed for, too much .... but i guess that is the going rate.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
AustinIllini was certain Cubs would sign him because you know the Madden connection. Ha, cash is king

Cash is king but that's stupid money.

I thought they would land him but I didn't think they would be the highest bidder.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Cash is king but that's stupid money.

I thought they would land him but I didn't think they would be the highest bidder.

I only thought the Maddon connection would come into play if the money was even, otherwise Price was going to the highest bidder. People overrate the importance of that kind of stuff.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
AustinIllini was certain Cubs would sign him because you know the Madden connection. Ha, cash is king

i really thought that stl would be in the hunt. i guess they weren't.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
This deal just reaffirms what I already knew.

If Chris Sale was on the market this year, there isn't a chance that he'd get less than $250 million.

Not sure he'd get $250 mil because of the perceived "injury risk" on his arm. But he'd get a higher AAV for sure. If I was a GM, I wouldn't hesitate to sign him to a 4 year deal worth $35-40 mil AAV.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:22 PM)
I was just sure he'd go to Joe Maddon. Lol money talks bs walks as always

he was really going for the money... i am really surprise that the northside did not pony up for him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:24 PM)
Nothing would've made me happier then to see him go to the Cubs. Then they'd be stuck with 2 overpaid aging pitchers that would severely hamper their payroll flexibility when their young studs get older and more expensive.

Oh well...

i wouldn't even want to think about it. 2 potent sp going into the playoff.... fvvck that,.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Nothing would've made me happier then to see him go to the Cubs. Then they'd be stuck with 2 overpaid aging pitchers that would severely hamper their payroll flexibility when their young studs get older and more expensive.

Oh well...

Except the playoffs last year showed the Cubs need a 1 or 2 SP bad. Lester is a year older and Arietta won't have a ridiculous once in a hundred years season again. Trading for top SP normally isn't 1 for 1 hitter for pitcher either. I guess they can run at Greinke, but have to imagine LAD will just match what ever is thrown at him, unless it's completely absurd.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
Except the playoffs last year showed the Cubs need a 1 or 2 SP bad. Lester is a year older and Arietta won't have a ridiculous once in a hundred years season again. Trading for top SP normally isn't 1 for 1 hitter for pitcher either. I guess they can run at Greinke, but have to imagine LAD will just match what ever is thrown at him, unless it's completely absurd.

i read last week when all the crap about him and puig came out.

in a side note, greinke mention with ref to his contract, he will not leave the west coast.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)

The Cubs scored 8 runs in 4 games in the NLCS. Yeah their SP didn't get it done, but it's not like they got a lot of support that series. Now they'll likely try to trade for Ross/Miller or go after Shark, and then add Gordon or Heyward. Will probably try to trade Baez/Soler/Castro.

Edited by OmarComing25

Chris Sale on the open market in 4 years will easily top that deal. Unfortunately no way in hell it comes from us.

Also, I think Arrieta's emergence last year really made them not want to go all out for another starter in the top tier. I could see then signing someone in the next group: Samardzija. Or they could spend on Greinke and go with a 4-5 year deal.

Edited by soxfan2014