White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has potential still, but why don't the A's want him? Beane is a genius and he wants no part of him. I wonder if he'll be coachable or if as a No. 1 draft pick he'll be difficult for Robin.

I'd feel better about this deal if he didn't have the reputation as a jerk and the fact Mr. Beane wanted to get rid of him so badly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)
He has potential still, but why don't the A's want him? Beane is a genius and he wants no part of him. I wonder if he'll be coachable or if as a No. 1 draft pick he'll be difficult for Robin.

I'd feel better about this deal if he didn't have the reputation as a jerk and the fact Mr. Beane wanted to get rid of him so badly.

Robins doing fine with Adam Eaton.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)

Beane also traded Donaldson for him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 05:36 AM)

if rep, his rumors problems whether it is real or not or embellish, that is of the past. he is starting a new chapter and should be judge by those new actions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)

Just curious if anyone knows if the A's have a guy they wanted to bring up in his spot.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
Eaton is far from the cocky, rage-filled "bro" that Lawrie is. Just because they were both thought to be annoying to their teammates doesn't mean they were annoying for the same reasons.

I know that. I'm just saying Eaton had his "issues" according to the DBacks. I was just using him as an example of Robin being able to keep a young player in line.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:46 PM)
The A's dealt him because they acquired Jed Lowrie and Danny Valencia played well for them last year. The feeling was they could get more for Lawrie than Valencia.

I really don't know what Beane is doing.

I'm not even sure the feeling was they could get more for Lawrie. since Valencia had a very strong 2015. Lawrie was just the expendable one.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:50 AM)
Eaton is far from the cocky, rage-filled "bro" that Lawrie is. Just because they were both thought to be annoying to their teammates doesn't mean they were annoying for the same reasons.

"Rage-filled bro"? What gives you that impression?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
Agreed. His defence seemed to slip once he was splitting time between second and third.

Actually the opposite. His first 2 years he only played 3rd and his fielding % was .959. Then in 2014 he jumped up to .984 playing 2nd and 3rd. Last year he dropped back down again playing mostly 3rd. Maybe just playing 3rd and working w Robin can improve him.

I view it this way:

1) He is a solid improvement at 3RD, over what we had last season.

2) His contract is very reasonable, for the next 2 years, and then Trey Michalczewzski can take his place

3) He has enormous upside, and could be a star

4) His acquisition did not cost any top prospects, or create any holes.

There is no reason not to gamble on his character issues, which involve intensity and confidence.

Those are positive attributes, even if he does seem to overdo both, at times.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 07:32 AM)
Actually the opposite. His first 2 years he only played 3rd and his fielding % was .959. Then in 2014 he jumped up to .984 playing 2nd and 3rd. Last year he dropped back down again playing mostly 3rd. Maybe just playing 3rd and working w Robin can improve him.

Please quit using fielding percentage as if it's a relevant stat. Even if you are going to use it please remember that 2nd and 3rd base are not equals. Last year the average fielding percentage for 2B was .984, for 3B it was .958. Of course his fielding percentage is going to increase the more he plays second. 3B is much harder to play, it requires much quicker reflexes and much longer throws than 2B does.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 07:49 AM)
I view it this way:

1) He is a solid improvement at 3RD, over what we had last season.

2) His contract is very reasonable, for the next 2 years, and then Trey Michalczewzski can take his place

3) He has enormous upside, and could be a star

4) His acquisition did not cost any top prospects, or create any holes.

There is no reason not to gamble on his character issues, which involve intensity and confidence.

Those are positive attributes, even if he does seem to overdo both, at times.

I agree with all except number 3. 1,2 and 4 are good enough for me however.

Teams don't go from 76 wins to playoffs without tremendous infusion of talent( unless they flukeishly underperformed to get 76, which the Sox didn't), young or old. Sox won't have tremendous infusion this year so save the young players.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
I feel like the Sox did flukeishly underperform last year though.

No one expected Samardzija, LaRoche, Garcia, Gillaspie, Sanchez, etc to be that bad.

Even if they just played to their career averages, the Sox would've won 83-85 games last season IMO.

I disagree. If Avi and LaRoche were to play 150 games this year, I think you would get very similar production, with maybe, just MAYBE, a very slight uptick from LaRoche, but I highly doubt it given he's only getting older. Same goes for Gillaspie if we had him playing 150 games at third this year. The only guy who I may agree with you is Sanchez, because he was a rookie, and let's be honest, you can only go up from those offensive numbers (which he did in the second half).