Jason Heyward to Cubs (8 yrs 184M)

GGajewski18

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
For the cubs offseason moves and how the Chicago media can not praise them enough, at this point in time have they gotten that much better

Would you trade Castro, Fowler and $10M for Lackey and Zobrist.....

If I do the quick easy fangraphs comparison, Lackey and Zobrist were worth 5.7 fWAR last year while Castro and Fowler were worth 4.0.

The "Steamer" prediction for whatever its worth has Castro + Fowler at 2.9 next year, Lackey and Zobrist at 6.2 (Lackey falls off some, Zobrist steps back upwards somewhat).

So much emphasis on defense...for a RF'er? If I'm responsible for paying an OF'er that isn't a huge run producer (Heyward isn't) he damn well better be 1 of the best defensive CF'ers in the game. I just don't see how a RF has that much impact on the game with his defense honestly. Maybe it's a crude/out dated way of looking at the game, but I just think defensive metrics have gone way out of control. Especially when we are talking about non premium defensive positions.

And I am aware that Heyward is more than capable of playing CF, but there just isn't a large enough sample size of him doing it especially well for the kind of investment he's going to get in my opinion.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
So much emphasis on defense...for a RF'er? If I'm responsible for paying an OF'er that isn't a huge run producer (Heyward isn't) he damn well better be 1 of the best defensive CF'ers in the game. I just don't see how a RF has that much impact on the game with his defense honestly. Maybe it's a crude/out dated way of looking at the game, but I just think defensive metrics have gone way out of control. Especially when we are talking about non premium defensive positions.

And I am aware that Heyward is more than capable of playing CF, but there just isn't a large enough sample size of him doing it especially well for the kind of investment he's going to get in my opinion.

There's been some talk/research over the last year or so about this -- there appears to be substantial evidence that the impact of a plus CF vs a plus corner OF is quite overrated. Essentially, when you control for catchability, zone overlap, and the actual difference between the high end defenders and low end ones, the CF doesn't receive nearly as many extra chances as people assume.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/does-outfie...ctually-matter/

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
I still think if Arrieta regresses at all they're f***ed.

Unless he regresses to Baltimore levels I don't think it would hurt them that bad. I see him in the 2.50-2.75 ERA range next year, which would still make him one of the top pitchers. I also think Heyward will be worth his contract, hope the Cardinals get it done.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
For the cubs offseason moves and how the Chicago media can not praise them enough, at this point in time have they gotten that much better

Would you trade Castro, Fowler and $10M for Lackey and Zobrist.....

Castro has been bad 2 of the last 3 seasons. I'm surprised they got what they got for him.

As for Heyward. He's going to get paid and I'll think he'll be really good into his 30's but I don't think I'd sign him if there wasn't an opt out clause after 5 years. It would benefit him as well as he can cash in again at age 31. However an 8-10 year deal with no opt out clause usually look pretty bad at the end.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Shes making a movie or something about sexism on the internet. Anyone who bases their opinion of people on twitter or comment sections on articles needs to have their head examined.

Having worked with women in newsrooms, the personal emails, stalking and comments they receive far surpasses anything you can imagine. This has been a well discussed and documented problem beyond Julie Dicaro and not something to dismiss because you don't like her personally.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
People in my office are hooting and hollering right now because they heard Heyward signed with the Cubs, can anyone confirm?

Nothing on MLBTR and I also did a quick Google search and came up empty. I'm not on twitter so maybe somethings there?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Having worked with women in newsrooms, the personal emails, stalking and comments they receive far surpasses anything you can imagine. This has been a well discussed and documented problem beyond Julie Dicaro and not something to dismiss because you don't like her personally.

A lot of my female friends have changed their facebook name once they've entered the workplace.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
There's been some talk/research over the last year or so about this -- there appears to be substantial evidence that the impact of a plus CF vs a plus corner OF is quite overrated. Essentially, when you control for catchability, zone overlap, and the actual difference between the high end defenders and low end ones, the CF doesn't receive nearly as many extra chances as people assume.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/does-outfie...ctually-matter/

Funny, I started doing some research after I posted that and found this really interesting article on fangraphs as well. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/are-we-unde...he-slugger-now/

Your article did make a good bit of sense though as far as the CF/RF thing goes, although in my opinion I'd say they are assuming kind of a lot with some of their #'s.

Kinda shocking to me that we are still using data that is a decade+ old to evaluate current players though. Like I said, a like of the sabr stuff still goes over my head, but I don't think it takes a mathematician to figure out that the game has changed pretty drastically since the early 00's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 4m4 minutes ago

Hear, too, that heyward is said to have a $200M offer. More likely to be from nats or cards than cubs. Could be 4th team tho.

would love for the sox to swoop in and make a last minute bid and win.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
would love for the sox to swoop in and make a last minute bid and win.

I appreciate your hope for a miracle but I'm not expecting one. I for one would like to see Upton sign but worry about how a $200 mil deal for Heyward would affect an Upton contract.