Teams asking about Thompson

GGajewski18

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a surprise? He plays great D, hit nearly .900 OPS.

of course teams would want him....it's just people around here and the Sox org. has this thing about "proven veterans". It's nuts.

much prefer him than waste him as part of a package for Todd Frazier and his home-stilted stats, including a mighty .660 the 2nd half of last season.

Or, sell high (for once!) and trade Eaton for a hitter and put Trayce in center. Or keep Eaton and put Trayce there anyway

How people don't want to give this guy a chance is beyond belief.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
Get rid of him. Fourth outfielder. Package him up for 2 years of the elite Todd Frazier and his .660 home stilted OPS.

Or, sell high (for once!) and trade Eaton for a hitter and put Trayce in center. Or keep Eaton and put Trayce there anyway

If one month of success of Trayce Thompson who hasn't had real minor league success can land a 4 WAR player in Todd Frazier, then yes you did it every single time.

Yet, you wanna trade our proven lead off guy, for a guy with 100 at bats.

When you mention is 660 2nd half OPS, you always forget the full body of work that he's had the last 4 seasons, just to fit your narrative. Just stop it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
Is this a surprise? He plays great D, hit nearly .900 OPS.

of course teams would want him....it's just people around here and the Sox org. has this thing about "proven veterans". It's nuts.

much prefer him than waste him as part of a package for Todd Frazier and his home-stilted stats, including a mighty .660 the 2nd half of last season.

So much so that the GM just said he told Adam Eaton he might get moved to LF for Thompson. Oh wait.

I have a feeling Trayce is the new Brian Anderson. Just going to keep hearing about that defense and how he just needs a chance...

I'd be more than happy to admit I'm wrong though. If Trayce can figure out how to stick as a (decent) major league hitter it would be a huge boost for the franchise.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
I have a feeling Trayce is the new Brian Anderson. Just going to keep hearing about that defense and how he just needs a chance...

I'd be more than happy to admit I'm wrong though. If Trayce can figure out how to stick as a (decent) major league hitter it would be a huge boost for the franchise.

That's an extremely unfair comparison for Thompson. He had 122 at bats, had a slash line of .295/.366/.533/.896 w/ 5 HRs and great defense. Let's give him a real chance & see what he has.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
That's an extremely unfair comparison for Thompson. He had 122 at bats, had a slash line of .295/.366/.533/.896 w/ 5 HRs and great defense. Let's give him a real chance & see what he has.

I agree. Give him a legit shot to be the opening day CF'er . He looked like a major leaguer when he batted , not necessarily because of the success, but because he looked very comfortable in the box and seemed to have a good eye.

Jose Iglesias of the Tigers had pretty "meh" minor league stats and he's hit pretty well in the majors.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
I agree. Give him a legit shot to be the opening day CF'er . He looked like a major leaguer when he batted , not necessarily because of the success, but because he looked very comfortable in the box and seemed to have a good eye.

Jose Iglesias of the Tigers had pretty "meh" minor league stats and he's hit pretty well in the majors.

Exactly. Some players react different at different levels. He looked like a major leaguer & a pretty good one at that.

I could be completely wrong but to label him Brian Anderson is just rough.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)

this. this team is so devoid of talent....and you want to trade a home grown one?!? Geezus. Nobody's going to "trade high" on him. He's one of those guys you steal...not trade high with.

How many wins does Lawrie add? One?

How many wins would Frazier add with a big year? 4 or 5?

That gets us to .500, people. Big whoop.

This needs to be a year for development. See what we have. Sure we can trade Trayce....but no one is going to give us a premium price for him precisely because he doesn't have the minor league pedigree. Had he torn it up in the minors AND had a month like this, he'd be a top 10 prospect.

We may have a gem. We may not. But I doubt he's dud.

See what we have in Sanchez as well. And Micah. Let Saladino fill whatever we need. See how the A ball talent (which looks strong) develps.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)

I apologize for being realistic about the situation. Any reasonable person can actually look at Trayce's numbers with an unbiased eye and realize his chances of being a stater aren't great. It's not my opinion, it's statistics.

The Anderson comparison is unfair I admit, but I was speaking more in terms of hype than play on the field. I think Trayce will definitely find a home on our team and shouldn't be traded at all...I just think that his home is as a defensive replacement/spot starter. Going into the season with him as a starter and no replacement plan besides Avi/Shuck would be a big mistake in my opinion. Unless we aren't spending $ for a playoff push....

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:29 AM)
I apologize for being realistic about the situation. Any reasonable person can actually look at Trayce's numbers with an unbiased eye and realize his chances of being a stater aren't great. It's not my opinion, it's statistics.

The Anderson comparison is unfair I admit, but I was speaking more in terms of hype than play on the field. I think Trayce will definitely find a home on our team and shouldn't be traded at all...I just think that his home is as a defensive replacement/spot starter. Going into the season with him as a starter and no replacement plan besides Avi/Shuck would be a big mistake in my opinion. Unless we aren't spending $ for a playoff push....

pssst that is why i think avi will be sent to the minors. but don't let elrockinMT know i said that. :lol:

:pray

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)

You can't cite the word statistics and then not apply the law of independent trials with regards to prospects. Trayce came into this organization at a time when they we're just changing their draft philosophy from low ceiling moderate floor players to the converse. In '09 he was a second round pick behind us taking Jared Mitchell and at that time around here and the rest of the internet both of those picks were lauded for changing the game up, in revisionist history the sox and 28 other teams should've drafted Trout but oh well.

I've said it before, projection systems have a real hard time dealing with prospects and their breakouts and foreign born professionals. You can site TT's meidiocre minor league performance and thats fair but in doing so you also have to realize that sometimes players with said results come to the majors and some reason break out, and its more apparent in toolsy athletic types than any other. Randal Grichuk, Brandon Crawford & Jose Iglesias are three great recent examples.

Also If you want a historical context to dream on with regards to Sanchez, imagine this player and the amount of s*** people and projection system would say about him.

NvkEsHA.jpg

thats their age 22-25 seasons

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
How many wins does Lawrie add? One?

How many wins would Frazier add with a big year? 4 or 5?

That gets us to .500, people. Big whoop.

This needs to be a year for development. See what we have. Sure we can trade Trayce....but no one is going to give us a premium price for him precisely because he doesn't have the minor league pedigree. Had he torn it up in the minors AND had a month like this, he'd be a top 10 prospect.

We may have a gem. We may not. But I doubt he's dud.

See what we have in Sanchez as well. And Micah. Let Saladino fill whatever we need. See how the A ball talent (which looks strong) develps.

It still can be a year of development with Lawrie trade. He's young and we didn't give up much to worry about. Fact is we had an older Mike Olt as the likely starter.

Granted, I doubt we're done yet.

Edited by soxfan2014