Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
But it's a win-now year. The draft pick could cause his average annual salary to go down too (and it's not our best pick either)

The win now players are Cespedes and Upton. Not Dexter Fowler. Who's been playing some Avi Garcia defense the past few years.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
The win now players are Cespedes and Upton. Not Dexter Fowler. Who's been playing some Avi Garcia defense the past few years.

Those are the win-now players but to get them we cant have anyone get into the bidding. If Gordon took 4 years from KC and we werent offering more than 3, that means we arent the only bidder.

If a big spender is bidding, we arent getting Cespedes or Upton, point blank. We will give it our attempt i'm sure, so that would be nice if we get a surprise.

Fowler or Parra make sense because we still have holes elsewhere, and the Sox usually are right around here salary wise, arent they? We dont differ tons year to year.

Fowler would give us much needed OBP-- would be a lefty bat too, and his career numbers from that side are fine (though not his preferred side). We need more of that too-- not just RH star slugger power

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
But it's a win-now year. The draft pick could cause his average annual salary to go down too (and it's not our best pick either)

Why? It isn't a win now year. If anything, the sox get Danks and LaRoche off the books next year so they will have more salary room. This could be the building year for following year. It could be a win now year but it doesn't need to be if the price becomes outrageous.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Why? It isn't a win now year. If anything, the sox get Danks and LaRoche off the books next year so they will have more salary room. This could be the building year for following year. It could be a win now year but it doesn't need to be if the price becomes outrageous.

I don't think we would have made the Frazier deal if we didn't plan on competing this year. Plus, the FO really doesn't want to continue wasting prime years of Sale/Quintana/Abreu.

Because you only have two years of Todd Frazier and the FA class next year is awful.

Next year has complete garbage for free agents.

I do agree with this. '17 could have Fulmer too. But we are win-now in the sense that we ...aren't ....win-later. If that were the case we'd still have all those young guys we just traded away. The Sale/Abreu window necessitates that.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Because you only have two years of Todd Frazier and the FA class next year is awful.

That is 2 years of Frazier not just one, after which Trey M. may be ready. May be the move the following year is a trade for a money player not a FA. There are many options if the price becomes to big especially for an inconsistent player like Cespedes.

Just because the Sox are in "win now" doesn't mean they can't win later. Other things should be set up in 2 years. keeping that 3rd pick will help that. Now if they do something like chase Cargo instead of signing a FA, then it likely will mean the window isn't flexible.

I think there are other ways to get better besides Cespedes. But that will take creativity which I don't think is in the DNA of this FO or field management (but this board seems to disagree, so we'll see).

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I do agree with this. '17 could have Fulmer too. But we are win-now in the sense that we ...aren't ....win-later. If that were the case we'd still have all those young guys we just traded away. The Sale/Abreu window necessitates that.

But all they did was make the team better without giving up much. They do not need to be in win now mode if they determine the contract isn't worth it. That is how they get stuck in average to below average teams. sign the players ONLY if they contract and value make sense. Don't go way over their determined value just because it's a need this year. They made their decision with Gordon that a 4th year was too much. They have a value on Cepedes and they need to stick to it. If he signs good, if not move on to the next option that will make the team better but not sacrifice the future.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
Just because the Sox are in "win now" doesn't mean they can't win later. Other things should be set up in 2 years. keeping that 3rd pick will help that. Now if they do something like chase Cargo instead of signing a FA, then it likely will mean the window isn't flexible.

I think there are other ways to get better besides Cespedes. But that will take creativity which I don't think is in the DNA of this FO or field management (but this board seems to disagree, so we'll see).

Ok, so what are your creative suggestions then?

You waste another year of all the team friendly stars. I'm not freaking out yet and individually I like all the moves we've made but playing the middle this year would be rather annoying.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
But all they did was make the team better without giving up much. They do not need to be in win now mode if they determine the contract isn't worth it. That is how they get stuck in average to below average teams. sign the players ONLY if they contract and value make sense. Don't go way over their determined value just because it's a need this year. They made their decision with Gordon that a 4th year was too much. They have a value on Cepedes and they need to stick to it. If he signs good, if not move on to the next option that will make the team better but not sacrifice the future.

To me Trayce was a starting outfielder on a long team-friendly commitment, so I think of the Frazier move (a guy here for two years only) as very win-now. But that's me. Montas i can understand if people are meh on.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
No, not for another four years, assuming we pick up both team options.

I see it now, thanks. Baseball Resources said he was a FA in 2018 when I checked last and didn't mention his options.

Edited by Sockin