Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
What if Cespedes ends up getting 5/125 from some team? For me, I think he will be a massive flop with that type of contract.

Which team is giving that to him? Dont you think he would've already signed somewhere if he had that type of offer on the table? He doesnt.

GM Jon Daniels of the Rangers is on MLBN now and said they aren't in the market for an OFer because it doesn't make sense financially and they have a lot of guys in the farm in case Ruggiano or Hamilton get hurt or aren't producing.

Mentioned James Jones, Nomar Mazara, Lewis Brinson, Joey Gallo, and Jurickson Profar.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
GM Jon Daniels of the Rangers is on MLBN now and said they aren't in the market for an OFer because it doesn't make sense financially and they have a lot of guys in the farm in case Ruggiano or Hamilton get hurt or aren't producing.

Mentioned James Jones, Nomar Mazara, Lewis Brinson, Joey Gallo, and Jurickson Profar.

It makes zero sense for them to sign an OFer, especially 1 that has a pick attached.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Lmfao!

This thread was started on December 13th, is just shy of being a month old and is over 150 pages long, yet we still have no clue what's going with Cespedes. :lol:

This thread is the biggest cocktease in Soxtalk history.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I kinda think if they decide to sign Raburn, he'd be part of a platoon in LF possibly taking them out of Cespedes.

Yes, that is correct. I think SS2k is saying that this could be the worst news because Raburn kills the Sox and he would still be in the division.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I kinda think if they decide to sign Raburn, he'd be part of a platoon in LF possibly taking them out of Cespedes.

And then he'll hit .350 against us and screw us out of at least 2-3 games.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
If the White Sox were to go with someone like Fowler, etc over Cespedes & Upton, with the possibility of improving at SS or a back of the rotation guy, would people be happy with that or not enough?

Pretty sure people have stated Fowler is not worth the draft pick compensation. This board goes in like waves. When there is positive rumors out there people are on top of the world but any negative tweets or rumors people start to head for the ledge. We have been in this thing from the start I have to imagine we have a good gauge on what Cespdes and Upton want and what would take to get one of them on the south side. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers are starting to put stuff out there to drive the price up for the Sox. I'm more confident we are signing YO than I have been all offseason. Just be patient guys the dam is going to break mid week this week or next week, we've waited this long already.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
If the White Sox were to go with someone like Fowler, etc over Cespedes & Upton, with the possibility of improving at SS or a back of the rotation guy, would people be happy with that or not enough?

I like adding Fowler and improving the back of the rotation better than just adding Cespedes or Upton and nothing else. I am not convinced Saladino is the answer at SS but if FO is convinced then so be it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I like adding Fowler and improving the back of the rotation better than just adding Cespedes or Upton and nothing else. I am not convinced Saladino is the answer at SS but if FO is convinced then so be it.

The FO obviously knows this. If they can land Upton/Cespedes, the FO could live with his bat because his defense is really good.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
You literally keep saying this every other day but continue to ignore the fact that we're up against a budget this year. It's incredibly unlikely that we'll be able to front-load a deal for either of these guys.

Although it is inaccurate to claim that I "literally keep saying it every other day," I have indeed reiterated, in various contexts, that I still think it makes the most sense, for all of the reasons. which I articulated earlier. I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse, but rather simply stating that after all of the speculation, I haven't changed my mind. It's just my opinion.

I can't really believe that this organization is going to let one year's "budget restraints" dictate their chance for being competitive this year, when they have already stated that they intend to contend, and have traded several promising prospects to acquire two guys with just 2 years left, before free agency. What was the point of that, if they aren't going to try to contend?

I believe that they could figure out a way to make it work financially. What about all of this revenue that everyone keeps talking about? They know that the money for La Roche and Danks will be coming off of the books next year. That is a certainty, so there must be a way to work around that. If not, then they just have to accept that they are not only not going to be competitive, but that they will also be totally irrelevant in Chicago.

The problem with the second tier guys is that not one of them can bat between Abreu and Frazier, and Frazier's .310 OBP won't cut it, at clean up. Too many of us are focused upon an acquisition to play right field. That is only half of the equation. they need a clean up hitter. Cespedes or Upton would fill that role nicely.

Edited by Lillian

I'd be fine with it if there were options at SS and SP, but I dont think anything on the FA market really makes sense for the Sox. Say you add Fowler and Desmond, you go from 3 picks in the top 50 to 1? That's awful for the farm and both of those guys are going to be question marks coming to the AL. On paper you're a stronger team, but losing those picks hurts a ton, especially since Im not quite sure the Sox would try to make up for those picks by going over budget next J2.

I look at the current situation presented to the Sox and just cant help but think adding Cespedes is the perfect scenario right now. Market has allowed the price to come down some, signing him would be no detriment to the farm system, he brings even more power to our previously ISO-starved lineup, he actually grades out well in LF, and his eventual contract lines up pretty well with the discussed window of the Sox. Not to mention, with Cespedes in tow, the major league roster for the White Sox is largely set over the next couple of seasons which will further allow them to build the farm and not have to rush players to the majors. There is so much value in signing Cespedes right now, I find it absolutely incredible JR hasnt already greenlit the move. It makes so much sense, the Sox probably wont do it.

Edited by Dunt

Not me. Especially if it costs one, or more, draft picks.