Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
According to Baseball-reference, If Abreu doesn't opt out of his contract and apply for arbitration after this year, he is scheduled to receive $12.17M in 2017 (age 30), $13.17M (age 31) in 2018, $13.67M (age 32) in 2019, and then become a free agent prior to the 2020 season. I don't see anybody in the White Sox system that can produce as well as Abreu can, so they will be forced to pay him a huge salary - either through arbitration or through signing Abreu to a longer term deal.

Abreu might opt for arbitration after this year with thought of seeing what the new collective bargaining agreement might mean for player's salaries in the future. That's why all the free agents have been securing opt outs.

It is next to impossible that Abreu opts out after next year. He would have to have a comp salary to go through, and I don't see one.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
According to Baseball-reference, If Abreu doesn't opt out of his contract and apply for arbitration after this year, he is scheduled to receive $12.17M in 2017 (age 30), $13.17M (age 31) in 2018, $13.67M (age 32) in 2019, and then become a free agent prior to the 2020 season. I don't see anybody in the White Sox system that can produce as well as Abreu can, so they will be forced to pay him a huge salary - either through arbitration or through signing Abreu to a longer term deal.

Abreu might opt for arbitration after this year with thought of seeing what the new collective bargaining agreement might mean for player's salaries in the future. That's why all the free agents have been securing opt outs.

you bring up something really interesting to think about. the sox does not have a 1b prospect in the upper levels and Corey Zangari is a long way from reaching the majors, if he continues in his unbelievable development.

so, the sox will have to pay the cost, no matter what it is to keep JA..... just my thoughts.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)

We are still four seasons away from figuring out how to replace Abreu's production if he does leave in free agency. If he opts out after this year he would have to set a new arbitration record to exceed his contractual 2017 salary. A record that was set by Ryan Howard after winning an MVP. If he does opt out my guess is that they would look to buy out his arb years and the first couple years of free agency. That would probably be something along the lines of 3/45-50 for his arb years and 2/40 for his first two years of free agency. He would not gain much by opting into arbitration until the third year. The first two years he would risk giving up a lot of guaranteed future money just to make maybe a million or two more in the present.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
I can't believe this is all over Yoenis Cespedes. Dude is solid, but he does not deserve this type of circus.

Right?

Dude had a 102 and 110 wRC in 2013 and 2014. You're paying a lot to see is 2015 was for real. Fowler in 2013 and 2014 put out a 103 and 124 wRC those 2 years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
Oh man, Werth not only is market untradeable he's literally untradeable.

Honestly, doesn't that mean if they sign Cespedes they are putting him in CF?

Looks like it! Didn't he share his desire to play CF? That brings down his defensive value imo. He's obviously better in a corner spot. Maybe Nats are hoping for NL DH soon lol

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I agree. I was just asking you if you thought Abreu made up for not hitting on the others. I've been dealing with grad students all day. I didn't really word it properly.

No I agree with you. While last year was especially bad, I think Sox are actually pretty good at acquiring major leaguers. But the problem is they do have a budget, so it hurts when they miss out on their cost controlled players because there is never anyone immediately behind them. Last year's free agent class should have been supplementing Davidson/Micah/Avi/Eaton, but 3/4 have brutal flaws.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
Oh man, Werth not only is market untradeable he's literally untradeable.

Honestly, doesn't that mean if they sign Cespedes they are putting him in CF?

I think the speculation is the Nats would slide Harper into CF, Werth-less to RF and Cespedes in LF.

If I had to guess, the Nat's will trade Taylor.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
@scottmerkin Apparently when the White Sox explore something, they don't mess around.

What does this mean?

Merkin heard about the Sox exploring bringing Albers back and within 20 minutes of that tweet he was signed.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
It's about Albers.

It's not a good tweet. "Oh, really, when the Sox are showing interest in a marginal reliever that hasn't signed yet and then sign them that shows they mean business?"

I like Albers, but...what? That signing isn't indicative of anything from Sox.

No I agree with you. While last year was especially bad, I think Sox are actually pretty good at acquiring major leaguers. But the problem is they do have a budget, so it hurts when they miss out on their cost controlled players because there is never anyone immediately behind them. Last year's free agent class should have been supplementing Davidson/Micah/Avi/Eaton, but 3/4 have brutal flaws.

The Sox have a lot of players come up from the minors, they just all wind up traded for NL players. Not complaining about it, just the way it is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)

a good counter,

but that is why just counting on production from players that are still developing is not the route to go.... they should have had a backup plan.

imo