Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Pass.

I think Saladino could put up better numbers than him for much cheaper.

Agreed. Rollins posted a .224 average, 13 hrs, 41 rbis, and committed 9 errors in 13334 games last year. Not sure if Saladino can hit 13 hrs, but his base running advantages more than make up for it. Not to mention the $$ difference.

Agreed. Rollins posted a .224 average, 13 hrs, 41 rbis, and committed 9 errors in 13334 games last year. Not sure if Saladino can hit 13 hrs, but his base running advantages more than make up for it. Not to mention the $$ difference.

Jimmy Rollins is probably tired of baseball after playing 37 games a day in 2015.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)

And the defense.

Though, to be fair, just 9 errors in 13334 games is spectacular.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Looking back on this trade, I still think we got the best return, but I am growing concerned that Frazier may put up 2013-like numbers for us.

I think those 2013 numbers should be our expectation with his switch to the AL. Then if he can come anywhere close to his last 2 seasons instead, we should be very excited.

Either way, as someone else mentioned, a 3B with good D, 20 HR 70+ RBIs, and clubhouse leader will be sooo much better than it has been recently. All while paying him a quite reasonable salary and not giving up either of our 2 biggest prospects in a not so deep system.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
Fans didn't love Todd Frazier because of his numbers, though his numbers were good enough. They loved him for his spirit. To fans, Frazier was not a line item on a balance sheet. He wasn't a clean set of digits all in a row, given meaning by odd acronyms such as WAR and OPS and the delightful-sounding BABIP.

Fans here didn't quantify Frazier or study him like he was an equation or mine his statistics for undiscovered lodes of "value''. They just enjoyed him. On and off the field. He gave them a reason to smile. And go to the ballpark.

Todd Frazier brought fans in, because they thought they knew him and they liked what they thought they knew. Ditto Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce. Frazier wasn't numbers. Frazier was family.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/col...-fans/77627880/

Try using quotation marks, dude.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
Try using quotation marks, dude.

Why would I be writing from the perspective of a Cincy sports columnist?

It's also a lot easier to get italics and bold to function with a pc compared with an ipad for some strange reason.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
Why would I be writing from the perspective of a Cincy sports columnist?

It's also a lot easier to get italics and bold to function with a pc compared with an ipad for some strange reason.

I couldn't tell until halfway through that it wasn't your own writing...that's why.

• 1 month later...
Montas had a stress reaction in his rib. The rib resection procedure was performed in Dallas, Texas by Dr. Greg Pearl, the same physician who removed a rib from Josh Beckett in 2013 to relieve pressure caused by Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

http://www.truebluela.com/2016/2/12/109823...gers-2-4-months

I wish Frankie well in his recovery.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
That's really odd. I've never heard of removing a rib because of a stress reaction in it. That's a really drastic measure.

Could it stem from his excess weight and the throwing motion that comes from being a pitcher or even a poor diet combined with weight training? I had never heard of such a thing from a pitcher and didn't know Beckett had this done.

For anyone interested in Thoratic Outlet Syndrome:

Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition whereby symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels, or both, because of an inadequate passageway through an area (thoracic outlet) between the base of the neck and the armpit.

http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet...ome/article.htm

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
Could it stem from his excess weight and the throwing motion that comes from being a pitcher or even a poor diet combined with weight training? I had never heard of such a thing from a pitcher and didn't know Beckett had this done.

For anyone interested in Thoratic Outlet Syndrome:

http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet...ome/article.htm

Its a common procedure for thoracic outlet especially if they have an accessory 1st rib. I've seen stress reactions in ribs. They are rare. The couple I've seen are in Olympic caliber triathletes usually from an improper arrow position in biking. However, they are treated conservatively. I've never heard of any bone being removed for a stress reaction.

In the most severe cases they do surgery to reinforce the bone like kevin white. This isn't an option for the rib due to the size and shape of the bone but removing it is really drastic.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 05:09 AM)
Its a common procedure for thoracic outlet especially if they have an accessory 1st rib. I've seen stress reactions in ribs. They are rare. The couple I've seen are in Olympic caliber triathletes usually from an improper arrow position in biking. However, they are treated conservatively. I've never heard of any bone being removed for a stress reaction.

In the most severe cases they do surgery to reinforce the bone like kevin white. This isn't an option for the rib due to the size and shape of the bone but removing it is really drastic.

Holy cow! Thanks for the in-depth response, seriously, that's good insight right there and I appreciate it.

Any idea as to what potential long term effects this may have for Frankie?

Even though Frankie is no longer a part of the Sox organization, I still wish him the best and hope he can continue his dream of becoming an MLB pitcher. Everything I've read about him has indicated he's a really good guy and its saddening to hear of things like this happening to people like Frankie.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
Holy cow! Thanks for the in-depth response, seriously, that's good insight right there and I appreciate it.

Any idea as to what potential long term effects this may have for Frankie?

Even though Frankie is no longer a part of the Sox organization, I still wish him the best and hope he can continue his dream of becoming an MLB pitcher. Everything I've read about him has indicated he's a really good guy and its saddening to hear of things like this happening to people like Frankie.

Shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm guessing it's an upper rib from the description but they really didn't say. Those won't effect much functionally. If it's a mid or lower rib, it's going to hurt like crazy to breathe and especially cough for a good month. That may take a little longer. However, I've never worked with an athlete with a mid to lower rib removed.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 06:07 AM)

ptact is the man. He's got a legitimate medical background and worked professionally in the sports PT world if memory serves correct. Helped me out here when I had a boxers fracture. Big shout out to him - great guy to have on this board. Another example of Soxtalk winning.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
ptact is the man. He's got a legitimate medical background and worked professionally in the sports PT world if memory serves correct. Helped me out here when I had a boxers fracture. Big shout out to him - great guy to have on this board. Another example of Soxtalk winning.

The thoracic outlet sydrome is the most common reason. The rib compresses on the neurovascular bu dle and they lose their sensation in their fingers. This can happen with a normal rib or sometimes people have an accessory or extra rib. We usually can help them without the surgery but sometimes it's necessary.

Edit: sorry the response was supposed to be for the "why would they have a rib removed" question. Thanks for the complement. I have worked for nfl, mlb, Olympic teams as well a variety of high schools around the south suburbs.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
The thoracic outlet sydrome is the most common reason. The rib compresses on the neurovascular bu dle and they lose their sensation in their fingers. This can happen with a normal rib or sometimes people have an accessory or extra rib. We usually can help them without the surgery but sometimes it's necessary.

many thanks, i guess i am going to medical wiki to see what the underline is ..... either way, something for me to read and to learn about.

again thanks.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm guessing it's an upper rib from the description but they really didn't say. Those won't effect much functionally. If it's a mid or lower rib, it's going to hurt like crazy to breathe and especially cough for a good month. That may take a little longer. However, I've never worked with an athlete with a mid to lower rib removed.

I searched the net but could not find any info that specified which rib Montas had removed. Thanks again for your insight. You certainly know your stuff ptatc. :cheers

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)

I could not agree more. :)