Your Saladino 2016 Offensive Projections

Marky Mark

If Saladino is our starting SS in '16 and gets 500+ PAs, what is your realistic expectation of his offense?

Although we could see him completely flop or hit way better than this, I'm thinking we could realistically see .....

8-10 HR

45-55 RBIs

12-15 SBs

.235-.245 AVE

.300 OBP

With his strong defense and minimum salary, I'd definitely take it. Especially if we use $ to bring in one more high caliber player. What do you realistically expect to see from Saladino offensively if he gets 500+ PAs next year? And would you be happy if your projection is true?

This is kind of what I've been thinking for awhile. He can pretty much suck and he'll be damn near equal to Alexei Ramirez. That $9M savings is so worth it. That being said I'm gonna throw out an optimistic

.290/.345/.460

14 HR, 29 2B, 5 3B, 20SB and badass defense

Edited by Jerksticks

Being optimistic.....240/.300/.340 with 10 hrs and 15 steals. If he can do that and play near gold glove level D he will be a huge success in my book.

And Sanchez only started 180 out of about 500 minor league games at SS. I don't think he's going to be our everyday SS. His arm doesn't pass the eye test right from the start for me.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 05:32 PM)
Being optimistic.....240/.300/.340 with 10 hrs and 15 steals. If he can do that and play near gold glove level D he will be a huge success in my book.

And Sanchez only started 180 out of about 500 minor league games at SS. I don't think he's going to be our everyday SS. His arm doesn't pass the eye test right from the start for me.

This is what I'm expecting. If everyone else hits, I will take this. More is a bonus.

OK, I'll play your little game:

Here was Alexei's line from last season:

33 doubles 0 triples 10 HR 62 RBI 17 SB 7 CX 31 BB 68 SO .249 AVG .285 OBP .357 SLG .642 OPS

I'd expect Tyler to do about the same with a few triples, more walks and more strike outs. I'd guess something like:

.240 AVG .295 OBP .380 SLG

If that transpires, the choice to play the younger guy, and save the money, will have been a wise decision

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
I think his defense at SS will be far more than acceptable

What is that based on?

Defensive metrics (in a very small sample) did not like him at all at SS last year and all the scouting reports I've seen have him pegged as more of a 2B that can play SS.

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)
What is that based on?

Defensive metrics (in a very small sample) did not like him at all at SS last year and all the scouting reports I've seen have him pegged as more of a 2B that can play SS.

He played just 63 innings at SS last year, so I wouldn't put much merit into any statistics regarding his defense there. Too small of a sample size. He was a stellar defensive 3B for us (according to all metrics), and he has played 426 games at SS as opposed to 69 at 2B in the minors, so I certainly wouldn't call him a second baseman.

I don't take any real stock in the defensive numbers from last year. I also don't take much stock in games played at a position in the minor leagues. You keep a guy at SS until he proves he can't play the position.

Scouting reports I have read mostly say that he projects as more of a 2B, but also that his defense has continually improved while in the minors. I have never seen anything about him being a gold glove caliber defensive player like some other people have mentioned in here, but I'm willing to bet the Sox can get by with him at SS until Anderson is ready.