Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

What would you guys be comfortable paying for Gordon?

I know he is going to want a 4th year. So I would be ok with 4 yrs/$76. That's $19M a year. He would need to be worth about 2.5-3 WAR per season. Steamer projects him at 3.5 WAR next year, and those are almost always conservative figures. He's been a 6 win player a few times, so to think he could have a 4-5 WAR season left in him may not be unreasonable.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Royals would arguably go that high. The sticking point is that fifth year for them.

LaRoche at 3 years older and at 1b/DH got $13.5 million and contracts have only escalated in the last year.

We're talking about a perennial Gold Glove OF that's only 2 years removed from his prime. That's a fair and legitimate enough offer, but he will end up in KC or St. Louis at those numbers imo.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Phil Rogers on MLBN suggesting Sox trade Robertson to fit one of the major OFs.

I would hate that, this team can't afford to give up Robertson IMO. If you makes Jones the closer, everyone is forced to move up a spot and the entire pen is weaker as a result. The Sox need to find a way to add one of the big OFs without hurting the major league roster.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Impossible without trading Anderson or Fulmer...they'd probably ask for Anderson AND Adams to open up discussions, knowing Hahn won't deal Anderson/Fulmer together as a package.

Enciarte had one good year in the minors; last year he had a high BA in the majors, but didn't walk and showed no power.

the Sox treat such players like cheap chattel,and dump them for short term rents; but now they're supposed to trade top prospects for them?

The Sox could have traded someone like Q for 3 or 4 Preston Tuckers or Enciartes.

Just hope this NL slugger doesn't turn out like all the rest.

As for the rotation, they are counting on Danks not to be Danks and for EJ to stick (which he very well may; but then again we've seen this show before) and no injuries. Behind them is zero.

I like Gordon for a number or reasons, but his age is a concern. One of the reasons is that he might bring a level of maturity onto this team.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
I would hate that, this team can't afford to give up Robertson IMO. If you makes Jones the closer, everyone is forced to move up a spot and the entire pen is weaker as a result. The Sox need to find a way to add one of the big OFs without hurting the major league roster.

In this scenario, trading Robertson frees up a lot of money. That might make them able to trade him for some young players and sign an outfielder.

Who really need Robertson, though? Astros? They've got org. depth out the wazzu.

That said, it would shock me if the Sox trade Robertson. That's just not the way they operate when they're going "all in". The push forward; don't nuance with side steps that might make them get even more forward.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Impossible without trading Anderson or Fulmer...they'd probably ask for Anderson AND Adams to open up discussions, knowing Hahn won't deal Anderson/Fulmer together as a package.

Agreed and its likely another team is willing to give up more than the Sox. Like I said, wishful thinking.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
Astros already gave up a boatload for Giles.

The latest MLB.com speculation about Gordon doesn't even have the White Sox as a mystery or surprise team...but does talk about KC, StL, SF, Baltimore, SF, the Angels, etc. Not a complete surprise, I guess.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/160176632/ma...gordons-suitors

I can give you 25 million reasons why their trade returns would look different.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
The thread title definitely needs to be changed since there's almost nothing concrete linking Gordon and the White Sox...

Certainly shouldn't be contributing to anyone getting their hopes up when there's almost no smoke at all.

Making you angsty he might actually leave your boys?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
The thread title definitely needs to be changed since there's almost nothing concrete linking Gordon and the White Sox...

Certainly shouldn't be contributing to anyone getting their hopes up when there's almost no smoke at all.

The tweets quoted say otherwise but thank you for your concern

Fangraphs: Avisail Garcia's Uncomfortable Situation

Avisail Garcia is not hitting the ball far, and he’s not hitting the ball hard. He’s hitting the ball on the ground, and he’s past the age where that sort of thing improves noticeably. It’s nice that he sprays the ball, and that he looks like an athletic guy, but almost everything else points to an uncomfortable situation for the young Chicago outfielder.

If the White Sox don’t get an upgrade in the outfield this season, and Garcia doesn’t change his batted ball mix in the upcoming season, we will hear these rumors all over again next offeason, except there won’t be anyone wondering about what Garcia can do for them anymore.

Relevant, because some suggest it would be acceptable to waste more plate appearances and more innings on Avisail Garcia.