Jason Benetti, new Sox home PxP

Heads22

I really don't care about announcers bringing in advanced analytics. That does mean they need to wax poetic about RBI production, but I have to say, any time someone verbally talks about a players wRC+ it sounds really dumb. Use the graphics for it, but stuff like "This guys fWAR is through the ROOF" makes it sound like they are trying too hard. It's why Len Kasper is the worst announcer in the game and so terrible and awful.

Looking forward to this guy.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
I really don't care about announcers bringing in advanced analytics. That does mean they need to wax poetic about RBI production, but I have to say, any time someone verbally talks about a players wRC+ it sounds really dumb. Use the graphics for it, but stuff like "This guys fWAR is through the ROOF" makes it sound like they are trying too hard. It's why Len Kasper is the worst announcer in the game and so terrible and awful.

It does seem when advanced stats are thrown out during a broadcast, the broadcaster throwing them out there seems to be trying to hard. Use them, just don't overdue it. A guy's wRC+ really isn't going to determine if he gets a hit or not.

The biggest thing that bothers me about Kasper is he sounds just like Kermit the Frog.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)

I actually hope he's like Kasper. One of the best in the business.

By the way, I like the fact that he's a proven pro, but I'm not going to lie, the fact that he's a Sox fan is nice. When the Sox win, it will be that much sweeter knowing you'll get at least a bit of that emotion from someone who has the same rooting interests calling the game (that said, I'm sure it will be far more tame than Hawk). And I still say, this whole thing is going to be great. Hawk will be more energized and better to listen to, people will stay fresh. I really am excited to here some games (especially after they get that outfielder).

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Len Kasper is the picture of what a modern baseball broadcaster should be in terms of how he handles the game and incorporates new ideas. You can have your own opinions of his voice or his "bias."

I agree. Kasper is fantastic. It actually makes me more excited for Benetti that he endorses him so strong.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Hate the Cubs all you want but Kasper is solid.

Now time to get a new radio pbp voice.

Oh yea, with all the talk about the new TV guy I forgot about how bad the radio side is!

Have Farmer and DJ been resigned or is a decision on the radio guys still in the works?

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Oh yea, with all the talk about the new TV guy I forgot about how bad the radio side is!

Have Farmer and DJ been resigned or is a decision on the radio guys still in the works?

There are rumors going around that both will be back on the radio side but I've also heard (and I find this a little hard to believe) that it is only on a one year contract though.

Mark

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Kasper and thee lady that did the MLB playoff game seem to think they are talking at a Fangraphs conference when they are doing the game.

I would bet less than 10% of the viewing public knows what BABIP means.

The medium is between Kasper and Hawk and that is Pat Hughes.

Of course, if you're a broadcaster and you're good at your job, you have a 3 hour time block of talking to fill. Explaining why those matter in an interesting way is a way to fill time. It can't be less useful than stories about Yaz.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
Of course, if you're a broadcaster and you're good at your job, you have a 3 hour time block of talking to fill. Explaining why those matter in an interesting way is a way to fill time. It can't be less useful than stories about Yaz.

Providing an explanation of BABIP every game would be really really intriguing. It's like how exciting it is on a plane when they tell you the safety features.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Providing an explanation of BABIP every game would be really really intriguing. It's like how exciting it is on a plane when they tell you the safety features.

I wouldn't say every game, but it's a number that has meaning. How many different ways can you bring it up? If you're going to show it for a player, why not say why you're showing it?