Ian Desmond Signs 1 Year 8M Deal with Rangers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Upgrading a -1 WAR position should be really easy to do, it doesn't require a "high impact" bat to be a significant upgrade.

So maybe the answer is already on the roster.

JB Shuck: left handed bat, better defensively than Avi. 266 BA, 689 OPS compared to Avi's 257/675.

Small sample size? Yes. Long term solution? Probably not. Better than Avisail Garcia? I think so.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
So maybe the answer is already on the roster.

JB Shuck: left handed bat, better defensively than Avi. 266 BA, 689 OPS compared to Avi's 257/675.

Small sample size? Yes. Long term solution? Probably not. Better than Avisail Garcia? I think so.

great idea

i always wonder about that, but this is not the time to gamble with an experiment

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 11:57 PM)
IF worst comes to worst and Avi sucks the first month or so of the season you give Shuck a chance who looked decent last year when given time

Shuck had proven in his career to not be an everyday player. He's a good PH bat and spot starter.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 11:50 PM)
I agree that the answer is already on the roster: Avi Garcia. Let the kid play.

At this point, I'm okay with this. If he's horrible against right handed pitching, Shuck can platoon with him. If the Sox are in it at the deadline and right field is a black hole, they can make a trade. I would love to see Avi succeed, and maybe the work he's done over the winter will help. My guess is that we will see.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
It's amazing to me how many people seemingly changed their mind in the last few weeks about being ok with Avi getting all the at bats in RF. The fluff pieces have worked, it appears.

I cant speak for everyone else but I have been on Avi's side since he has been here. I wasnt opposed to bringing in a big bat in place of him but I havent given up on him just yet.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
I cant speak for everyone else but I have been on Avi's side since he has been here. I wasnt opposed to bringing in a big bat in place of him but I havent given up on him just yet.

And I respect that and hope for the best with him. Just startling to see all the Avi and/or Shuck talk lately on here. Only way that should have happened going into the season is if they were in rebuilding mode, IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
It's amazing to me how many people seemingly changed their mind in the last few weeks about being ok with Avi getting all the at bats in RF. The fluff pieces have worked, it appears.

I am equally dumbfounded. Cognitive dissonance, I guess. Easier to focus on the tiny likelihood of Garcia reaching his upside than admit the front office's failure.

None of y'all who are fine with Avi get to complain when the Sox fall short. I'm keeping a list (no I'm not).

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
I am equally dumbfounded. Cognitive dissonance, I guess. Easier to focus on the tiny likelihood of Garcia reaching his upside than admit the front office's failure.

None of y'all who are fine with Avi get to complain when the Sox fall short. I'm keeping a list (no I'm not).

A part of me hopes LaRoche hits .000 in spring training and forces the FO to make some changes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
And I respect that and hope for the best with him. Just startling to see all the Avi and/or Shuck talk lately on here. Only way that should have happened going into the season is if they were in rebuilding mode, IMO.

Get ready for my Jerry Sands talk!

If this team is bad it wont be because of Avi. He is not the key factor for this team. If he is bad I really dont think they are going to keep running him out there anyway. If this team doesn't make the playoffs solely because of Avi I will eat gregs shirt and sell his house that I have acquired in prior dealings.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
If this team is bad it wont be because of Avi. He is not the key factor for this team. If he is bad I really dont think they are going to keep running him out there anyway. If this team doesn't make the playoffs solely because of Avi I will eat gregs shirt and sell his house that I have acquired in prior dealings.

That very well could be the case if Avi puts up another below replacement level season and we miss the playoffs by two games after winning 84 games. Upgrading RF by a couple wins is so easy to do when the hole is that large that it will be the most mind-boggling move of the entire offseason if an upgrade doesn't happen, and that's including the Miller trade.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)

I just hate waiting on Avi because he downgrades the effectiveness of our strong pitching staff. It's one thing if he just sucks at hitting, but he's terrible in the outfield and baserunning.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
That very well could be the case if Avi puts up another below replacement level season and we miss the playoffs by two games after winning 84 games. Upgrading RF by a couple wins is so easy to do when the hole is that large that it will be the most mind-boggling move of the entire offseason if an upgrade doesn't happen, and that's including the Miller trade.

Those two moves and Angels not getting another outfielder