Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

QUOTE (Special K @ May 19, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Saladino has no business getting more PT than Rollins, IMO. He is not an everyday player. He can't hit. He is Go-awful at bunting. But he's a decent defender. Rollins at least is not a black hole in the lineup offensively.

Sorry to break it to you man but Saladino is just the better ball player right now

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hold off on the trade speculation until around the all star break because I'm not so sure this is not a 4th or 5th place team. I don't think the Sox have anything anyone wants other than Fulmer/Adams/Anderson anyway, and they shouldn't go anywhere. Therefore, Let's hope that Frazier and Lawrie break out of their average slumps so we can get some decent pieces for them as a one year rental this offseason.

Sale/Q/Eaton/Robertson/Frazier for...?

I would have included Rodon (just to pacify Boras) but his value is down a bit for now.

Collectively they get you like 20 top 100 prospects and probably 3 or 4 top 10 guys too. Even bad teams who are nearing the end of their rebuilds would jump in on the Sale sweepstakes.

I know that many think I belabor the point, but acquiring a middle of the order left handed bat is still a high priority.

Although Eaton is hitting lefties very well, it is worth noting that our two best hitters, so far are left handed. (Melky is more productive from the left side).

I have no idea who, or from where he is going to be acquired, but that has to be Hahn's number one priority, which he has openly expressed.

Of course, another RH Starter would be great, as well.

Edited by Lillian

A few weeks ago, I wanted the Sox to trade for Rich Hill but I came to my senses.

I think a team is going to overpay for Rich Hill. The guy has been great for Oakland but he's finishing out a 1 year deal and if you trade for him, it's not like you have the option to extend a QO. And assuming he knows that at age 36, this offseason is his last shot at a big contract, he's going to test the market in a winter with a notoriously bad/weak SP free agent class, so your chances at resigning him aren't good.

I think that he's worth one top 100 prospect at the absolute most but if the bidding gets heated, I think Oakland will be really happy.

Pitchers who might be available (based on their teams)

Tyler Chatwood (COL)

Jordan Zimmerman (DET, if the Tigers fall out of the race)

Masahiro Tanaka (NYY)

Julio Teheran (ATL)

Dan Straily (CINCY)

Rich Hill (OAK)

Drew Pomeranz (SD)

Marco Estrada (TOR)

Erasmo Ramirez (TB)

JA Happ (TOR)

Jimmy Nelson (MIL)

David Phelps (MIA)

James Shields (SD)

Fernando Rodney (SD)

Ryan Buchter (SD)

Ervin Santana (MIN)

Fernando Rodriguez (OAK)

Jeanmar Gomez (PHA)

Daniel Hudson (AZ)

Nathan Eovaldi (NYY) Also Pineda/Nova/Sabathia

Fernando Abad (MIN)

Ryan Madson (OAK)

Ricky Nolasco (MIN)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)

Tyler Chatwood (COL)

Masahiro Tanaka (NYY)

Julio Teheran (ATL)

Dan Straily (CINCY)

Rich Hill (OAK)

Drew Pomeranz (SD)

Marco Estrada (TOR)

Erasmo Ramirez (TB)

JA Happ (TOR)

Jimmy Nelson (MIL)

David Phelps (MIA)

James Shields (SD)

Fernando Rodney (SD)

Ryan Buchter (SD)

Ervin Santana (MIN)

Fernando Rodriguez (OAK)

Jeanmar Gomez (PHA)

Daniel Hudson (AZ)

Fernando Abad (MIN)

Ryan Madson (OAK)

Ricky Nolasco (MIN)

I want Ervin Santana from the Twins and Will Smith from the Brewers.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Why would Julio Teheran be available?

The same reason that Carlos Rodon would be a huge trade chip if he was on the Braves and was one year closer to arbitration.

Teheran is one of those youngish pitchers very unlikely to be dealt unless someone overpays, but who Atlanta might want to leverage into even more Year 1-3 cost-controlled prospects if another Shelby Miller/Giles/Kimbrel offer comes rolling in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
The same reason that Carlos Rodon would be a huge trade chip if he was on the Braves and was one year closer to arbitration.

Teheran is one of those youngish pitchers very unlikely to be dealt unless someone overpays, but who Atlanta might want to leverage into even more Year 1-3 cost-controlled prospects if another Shelby Miller/Giles/Kimbrel offer comes rolling in.

Thank for the response. It didn't make sense to me why he kept showing up in this thread. He is young and seems to be signed thru 2019 (option for 2020) at what appears to be salaries well below his performance. If he were our player, it would take a king's ransom to get him. Don't see how we could make a Shelby Miller type overpayment in a trade.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 23, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
The Yankees are 11-5 in their last 16, have almost climbed back to .500, and are just 5 games back. I wouldn't count on them being sellers just yet.

If they do trade, it seems likely it would be Andrew Miller to the Cubs or Dodgers.

Tyler Chatwood (COL)

Masahiro Tanaka (NYY)

Julio Teheran (ATL)

Dan Straily (CINCY)

Rich Hill (OAK)

Drew Pomeranz (SD)

Marco Estrada (TOR)

Erasmo Ramirez (TB)

JA Happ (TOR)

Jimmy Nelson (MIL)

David Phelps (MIA)

James Shields (SD)

Fernando Rodney (SD)

Ryan Buchter (SD)

Ervin Santana (MIN)

Fernando Rodriguez (OAK)

Jeanmar Gomez (PHA)

Daniel Hudson (AZ)

Fernando Abad (MIN)

Ryan Madson (OAK)

Ricky Nolasco (MIN)

This is hardly a comprehensive list. A lot of the AL is still bunched up, particularly the AL Central (minus the dead Twins) and the AL East. In a month there will be some separation, like an AL East team or two dropping out of the race or at least being put in a similar precarious position as the Tigers or Angels are right now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Why is he a horrible idea? He has a 3.50 FIP and he'd be the Sox 4th starter. He'd also come very cheap most likely in terms of prospect cost.

Because he's already 33 years old and is due at least $40 million through 2019.

Unless he came very cheap, I want nothing to do with him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/so...qualified/false

A lot of very familiar names on this list of the worst pitchers so far.

From the Coop can fix 'em category. Man, Sonny Gray's really not doing Billy Beane any favors so far this year.

I think Gray was put on the DL yesterday or today.

Mark

A guy I would be very interested in is Chris Archer. I wonder if there's something the Sox see in him they could "fix". Archer is probably the closest thing to an 'ace', and it would require some luck and some work to him to rediscover that ability, that the Sox could get w/o sacrificing Anderson. Might not even have to give up Fulmer or Adams even. There's been some dip in velocity but nothing catastrophic and he still racks up the strikeouts, his struggles have been due to walks, HR and just giving up hard contact in general. The Sox have shown an adeptness to fixing that fault, hard hit balls, in pitchers.

Odorizzi wouldn't be bad either. I think the Rays are one of the few rosters to have a lot of interesting names, but also probably wont stay in the race much longer.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 23, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
A guy I would be very interested in is Chris Archer. I wonder if there's something the Sox see in him they could "fix". Archer is probably the closest thing to an 'ace', and it would require some luck and some work to him to rediscover that ability, that the Sox could get w/o sacrificing Anderson. Might not even have to give up Fulmer or Adams even. There's been some dip in velocity but nothing catastrophic and he still racks up the strikeouts, his struggles have been due to walks, HR and just giving up hard contact in general. The Sox have shown an adeptness to fixing that fault, hard hit balls, in pitchers.

Odorizzi wouldn't be bad either. I think the Rays are one of the few rosters to have a lot of interesting names, but also probably wont stay in the race much longer.

Doubt we could get Archer. I'm sure they'd rather try to fix him themselves than sell low.

The White Sox don't need Chris Archer or Sonny Gray. They also don't have the pieces to get something like that done. It's unnecessary. They need a solid #3 or #4 starter. I suggested Ervin Santana because he won't cost much in terms of prospects. I think the Sox can acquire help without giving up Anderson and Fulmer but it's imperative that they take on salary for either the starting pitcher or hitter that they acquire. Should cost less in terms of prospects then.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 23, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Because he's already 33 years old and is due at least $40 million through 2019.

Unless he came very cheap, I want nothing to do with him.

He's due the prorated amount this season plus $13.5 in 2017 and $13.5 in 2018, with a $1 million buyout for 2019. That is what pitchers cost. I'd rather have Santana for a low prospect cost and take on the contract than someone like Teheran where they'd definitely be trading Fulmer.